Flooding is the New Normal in Miami In Miami, sea-level rise is not a problem for future generations

The point I was making is that Miami-Dade specifically, has not experienced the sand loss that Westwall claims to be the cause of the increased flooding there. I live in South Florida. The flooding in Dade County is due to increased sea levels.

I know next to nothing, I have to admit, about Miami-Dade. There appears to be (or to have been) a plan named "Miami-Dade County Beach Erosion Control Master Plan" since the 1960s. The sand for the nourishment of the beaches has been dredged up offshore, and depleted known sand deposits (sandbanks). With that, it would be entirely possible to have more flooding because of exactly the loss of protection I described upstream, which seemingly Miami-Date inflicted upon itself.

It has not depleted those sand deposits. The sand is moved to the beach where wave action slowly returns it to its original location. The sand is moved to the beach where wave action slowly returns it to its original location. And so forth. Besides, depleting offshore sand bars might increase the energy with which waves strike the shoreline, but it would not lower the land. Water is not coming up the storm drains because the storm drains themselves have been lowered. It is coming up because sea level has risen.

Do you, Olde Europe, believe the world's sea levels are NOT rising?

It has not depleted those sand deposits. The sand is moved to the beach where wave action slowly returns it to its original location. The sand is moved to the beach where wave action slowly returns it to its original location. And so forth. Besides, depleting offshore sand bars might increase the energy with which waves strike the shoreline, but it would not lower the land. Water is not coming up the storm drains because the storm drains themselves have been lowered. It is coming up because sea level has risen.

Do you, Olde Europe, believe the world's sea levels are NOT rising?

Heavens, Crick! The report I linked stated unambiguously that nearby sources of sand offshore are depleted, hence the problem to find sources of sand at a convenient distance.

As to your slightly insulting question, read my #54 on this thread, attentively. Moreover, most complex phenomena in this world have two or more different causes, and finding one is pertinent is itself not sufficient reason to dismiss all others.

So why do you think depleting offshore sand bars would cause flooding in Miami Dade? That water is NOT coming from larger than normal waves driving in.

So why do you think depleting offshore sand bars would cause flooding in Miami Dade? That water is NOT coming from larger than normal waves driving in.

You're quite combative today. Let's review what one Mr. Crick stated, quite correctly:

"Besides, depleting offshore sand bars might increase the energy with which waves strike the shoreline"

Tides and waves hitting shore with more energy is just another way to express "more flooding", and that remains true even if it adds just a few inches on top of rising sea levels.

Storm drains attach to pipes that empty into the sea hundreds of meters or more offshore. They are not vulnerable to wave energy.

Forum List

Back