Flooding is the New Normal in Miami In Miami, sea-level rise is not a problem for future generations

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Flooding is the New Normal in Miami In Miami, sea-level rise is not a problem for future generations. It’s a present-day reality.
Navarrete’s garage now floods about once every other month. She often has to wear rainboots just to get to her car.

Navarrete: “And sometimes the water would be higher than that. So I couldn’t wear my boots because otherwise I would get the water inside the boots. So then we have to go barefoot, which is disgusting.”

And when the moon, earth, and sun align, tides are even higher than usual. They’re called king tides, and last for about a week. During king tides, Navarrete’s garage floods twice a day.
http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2017/02/flooding-is-the-new-normal-in-miami/
Flooding is the new normal in Miami - Yale Climate Connections
http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2017/02/flooding-is-the-new-normal-in-miami/
I hope the government can help this poor women find a new home.

Flooding is the New Normal in Miami In Miami, sea-level rise is not a problem for future generations. It’s a present-day reality.
Navarrete’s garage now floods about once every other month. She often has to wear rainboots just to get to her car.

Navarrete: “And sometimes the water would be higher than that. So I couldn’t wear my boots because otherwise I would get the water inside the boots. So then we have to go barefoot, which is disgusting.”

And when the moon, earth, and sun align, tides are even higher than usual. They’re called king tides, and last for about a week. During king tides, Navarrete’s garage floods twice a day.

That's rain water flooding you moron. Did you even read the link?

Sounds like piss poor urban planning for the development if they get bad flooding every time it rains. It has nothing to do with sea levels rising, especially since sea levels aren't rising with any significance.

King Tides happens every year and are NOT climate change related.

The high tide that floods South Florida streets this time of year are known within the scientific community as a spring tide, although another popular term is king tide, which is not tied to any particular season.

A spring tide lasts several days and happens a few times a year when the moon, sun and Earth align.

The strongest astronomical tides occur between September through November. In South Florida, they’re highest in October. You can read more about the phenomena from our partner the Miami Herald.

The flooding is expected to last through Saturday, so don’t pack away your galoshes and gondolas yet.

Scroll down to see photos of the recent flooding in Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale and share with your out-of-state family and friends who may not understand how bad the flooding can get in South Florida.

What South Florida's Spring Tide (Or King Tide) Looks Like

But the climate-change fanatics will use any event to bamboozle the gullible.

Sounds like piss poor urban planning for the development if they get bad flooding every time it rains. It has nothing to do with sea levels rising, especially since sea levels aren't rising with any significance.

What is "any significance" exactly?

So little that land masses rising and falling have more of an effect for coastal areas. If people are dumb enough to build on the coast right at sea level, we're expected to help pay for their relocation? No. That is a risk they took when buying/building such a property. All structures built on the coast should account for sea rise from storm levels, so crying about a few millimeters rise is ridiculous.

So little that land masses rising and falling have more of an effect for coastal areas. If people are dumb enough to build on the coast right at sea level, we're expected to help pay for their relocation? No. That is a risk they took when buying/building such a property. All structures built on the coast should account for sea rise from storm levels, so crying about a few millimeters rise is ridiculous.

Well, what's the few millimeters here?

Sea-Level-Rise-and-Global-Warming-Infographic-Fact1_Full-Size.jpg

Well, what's the few millimeters here?

Sea-Level-Rise-and-Global-Warming-Infographic-Fact1_Full-Size.jpg

Yes, a few mm per year. Not since "1880" lol.

Sorry, Daily Caller, Sea-Level Rise Is Real and Miami Isn't Just "Sinking" Because of Too Many Condos
WEDNESDAY, JULY 13, 2016 AT 10 A.M.
BY JERRY IANNELLI

sea-level-rise-miami-dade-1.jpg

Photo by siralbertus/Flickr CC

This past Sunday, the Daily Caller, the right-wing news site run by former CNN talking bow tie Tucker Carlson, did Miami a huge favor: The site fixed our long-term issues with sea-level-rise in a single article. Huzzah!

According to the Caller, man is not melting the polar ice caps, and Miami is not actually getting swallowed by the world's ever-rising seas. Instead, the entire South Florida landmass is apparently "sinking" into the ocean because we've actually just built way too much stuff and put too many people on top of the land.

Unfortunately, Miami Beach officials tell New Times the Daily Caller's "Miami Beach is sinking" conspiracy theory is completely inaccurate.

OK, so we need to address some very basic factual inaccuracies in the Caller piece upfront: The writer, Craig Boudreau from Alexandria, Virginia (who refers to himself online as a "musically illiterate musician"), begins by confusing the separate cities of Miami and Miami Beach in paragraph three.

In a cruel twist of irony, Boudreau opens the piece by criticizing a Grist article that — wait for it — accurately quoted from New Times' own reporting on sea-level rise. Boudreau claims Miami Beach Public Relations Manager Melissa Berthier — whom he inaccurately lists as working for the City of Miami and/or Miami-Dade County — told him the streets of Miami Beach flood only twice a year, during "king tides.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/...by-global-warming-has-already-begun.html?_r=0

NORFOLK, Va. — Huge vertical rulers are sprouting beside low spots in the streets here, so people can judge if the tidal floods that increasingly inundate their roads are too deep to drive through.

Five hundred miles down the Atlantic Coast, the only road to Tybee Island, Ga., is disappearing beneath the sea several times a year, cutting the town off from the mainland.

And another 500 miles on, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., increased tidal flooding is forcing the city to spend millions fixing battered roads and drains — and, at times, to send out giant vacuum trucks to suck saltwater off the streets.

For decades, as the global warming created by human emissions caused land ice to melt and ocean water to expand, scientists warned that the accelerating rise of the sea would eventually imperil the United States’ coastline.

Everyone except the rwnj cretins seems to be able to see what is happening. Living in their 'alternative universe' full of 'alternative facts', they will not see reality until it drowns them. Classic Darwin culling.

It is poor planning, but it feels an agenda so they attempt to blame it on something else. We have a water drainage problem. Miami was pretty much all a swamp they built up, but without real drainage systems put in place.

People that have lived here for several decades do not find it unusual.I
Sorry, Daily Caller, Sea-Level Rise Is Real and Miami Isn't Just "Sinking" Because of Too Many Condos
BY JERRY IANNELLI

This past Sunday, the Daily Caller, the right-wing news site run by former CNN talking bow tie Tucker Carlson, did Miami a huge favor: The site fixed our long-term issues with sea-level-rise in a single article. Huzzah!

According to the Caller, man is not melting the polar ice caps, and Miami is not actually getting swallowed by the world's ever-rising seas. Instead, the entire South Florida landmass is apparently "sinking" into the ocean because we've actually just built way too much stuff and put too many people on top of the land.

Unfortunately, Miami Beach officials tell New Times the Daily Caller's "Miami Beach is sinking" conspiracy theory is completely inaccurate.

OK, so we need to address some very basic factual inaccuracies in the Caller piece upfront: The writer, Craig Boudreau from Alexandria, Virginia (who refers to himself online as a "musically illiterate musician"), begins by confusing the separate cities of Miami and Miami Beach in paragraph three.

In a cruel twist of irony, Boudreau opens the piece by criticizing a Grist article that — wait for it — accurately quoted from New Times' own reporting on sea-level rise. Boudreau claims Miami Beach Public Relations Manager Melissa Berthier — whom he inaccurately lists as working for the City of Miami and/or Miami-Dade County — told him the streets of Miami Beach flood only twice a year, during "king tides.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/...by-global-warming-has-already-begun.html?_r=0

NORFOLK, Va. — Huge vertical rulers are sprouting beside low spots in the streets here, so people can judge if the tidal floods that increasingly inundate their roads are too deep to drive through.

Five hundred miles down the Atlantic Coast, the only road to Tybee Island, Ga., is disappearing beneath the sea several times a year, cutting the town off from the mainland.

And another 500 miles on, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., increased tidal flooding is forcing the city to spend millions fixing battered roads and drains — and, at times, to send out giant vacuum trucks to suck saltwater off the streets.

For decades, as the global warming created by human emissions caused land ice to melt and ocean water to expand, scientists warned that the accelerating rise of the sea would eventually imperil the United States’ coastline.

Everyone except the rwnj cretins seems to be able to see what is happening. Living in their 'alternative universe' full of 'alternative facts', they will not see reality until it drowns them. Classic Darwin culling.

Even outside the coastline, it was once all swamp but a sand bar and was filled in, but not filled in enough without proper drainage systems put into place. I know, we live up in Palm Beach county in an area that has always been a high spot, but get swamped with water surrounding our area when there are major rains. Homes have to be built up on pads just for that reason.

By the way, that picture was taken April 15, 2013, after a rain storm, according to the photographer that took it-
south beach
flood after rainstorm. Taken on April 15, 2013
south beach

Which is normal. And April saw 2 inches above normal rainfall.

Used in an article in 2016 to prove sea level rise. Lol
BY JERRY IANNELLI

Last edited:

Red state? Oh well.

The number of people threatened by rising seas fueled by climate change in the U.S. could be three times greater than previously estimated, with more than six million Floridians at risk under a worst-case scenario, according to a study published Monday.

STUDY CONFIRMS HUMAN EFFECTS ON SEA LEVEL RISE
BEYOND THE HIGH TIDES, SOUTH FLORIDA WATER IS CHANGING

For the first time, a team of researchers looked at ongoing population growth in areas where the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has created flood maps that more accurately reflect local conditions. What they found was startling: projections that failed to factor in population growth in dense states like Florida hugely underestimated the number of people at risk and the cost of protecting them.

Combined with the findings from a 2015 report, that means Florida can claim two titles: most property at risk and now, most people.

IN TERMS OF SHEER NUMBER OF PEOPLE LIVING IN HARM’S WAY [SOUTH FLORIDA] IS WAY AT THE TOP .

Stetson University ecologist Jason Evans

“In terms of sheer number of people living in harm’s way [South Florida] is way at the top basically,” said Stetson University ecologist Jason Evans, one of three co-authors of the paper published in the journal Nature Climate Change. “It just pops out.”

Read more here: Sea rise could force millions in Florida to adapt or flee, study finds

Seems the people that live there think that sea level rise is real.

Seas Rising but Florida Keeps Building on the Coast
Sea level rise as a result of global warming is not stopping developers of Florida’s coast

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.—The home that Stanley Young and Rich Cusmano are building here will hover above an infinity pool, a shimmering glass-and-concrete icon of tropical luxury set on one of the coastal city’s scenic waterways.

Anyone willing to pay upward of $4 million for such a showpiece will, of course, want some certainty about his or her investment. The home sits on a waterfront lot that was just 2.79 feet above sea level, on a street that already floods during extreme tides and in a region where climate change will fuel sea-level rise by as much as 10 inches over 1992 levels by 2030.

“Buyers are becoming very savvy,” Young said. “The first question they say to us is: ‘Will it flood?’”

Therein lies the uneasy reality in South Florida, home to 6 million people and projected to grow by 3 million over the next three decades. Its very existence depends on the continued allure of the beaches, waterways and natural environment. Yet, by 2050, an estimated $15 billion to $36 billion of Florida’s coastal property will be threatened by sea-level rise, according to a report last year from the Risky Business Project, a Bloomberg Philanthropies effort that quantifies economic risks from climate change.

In South Florida, sea-level rise and climate change are already having an effect on available drinking water, roads and sewer lines in low-lying areas, and storm and flood insurance rates.

Seas Rising but Florida Keeps Building on the Coast

Scientific American, not dumb ass bastards flapping yap with no information at all.

.... It has nothing to do with sea levels rising, especially since sea levels aren't rising with any significance.
Flooding during rainfall does have a lot to do with sea level rise. The coastal areas drain into the ocean. If the land area is only three feet above sea level there is only a three foot gravitational assist in drainage. If the ocean rises one foot, there is only a two foot gravitational assist. The drainage flow pressure is reduced significantly and the water is backed up like in a slow draining kitchen sink.

Forum List

Back