Flooding in the Northeast???

rcajun90

Jul 7, 2005
New Orleans, Louisiana
Why are these people living in a floodzone? We should just bulldoze the whole area. Sound familar?

http://channelone.com/news/2005/10/11/ap_weather/

I hope you realize I’m being sarcastic. My thoughts, prayers and donations are with my fellow Americans up there. Where can we donate? After Katrina even people in Southwest Louisiana were talking like you guys. Well Rita came in and destroyed the coastal regions and put the small city of Lake Charles out of commission for at least a month. Now they are more sympathetic to the victims of Katrina. No one no place is immune to Mother Nature. Message to mother nature, we get it now please stop. :eek:

rcajun90 said:
Why are these people living in a floodzone? We should just bulldoze the whole area. Sound familar?

I hope you realize I’m being sarcastic. My thoughts, prayers and donations are with my fellow Americans up there. Where can we donate? After Katrina even people in Southwest Louisiana were talking like you guys. Well Rita came in and destroyed the coastal regions and put the small city of Lake Charles out of commission for at least a month. Now they are more sympathetic to the victims of Katrina. No one no place is immune to Mother Nature. Message to mother nature, we get it now please stop. :eek:

Isn't it amazing how much bs has come out of the coverage of both hurricanes? The deaths in NO were one tenth of those predicted, the mayor, Govenor, and Senator are indeed incompetent idiots along with a huge number of NO police, no matter how stupid the idea of rebuilding NO is, as long as the American taxpayers foot the bill, the same idiots will be happy to take advantage.
I am ashamed of my State of origin and I think that the joke that has been circulating around the internet would be a great idea. . . sell Louisiana back to France! Let those dufusses spend the outrageous money to rebuild it so that the next hurricane does the same thing.
What really sucks is that so many low lifes that were contained within NO's city limits have been spread around the country reeking havoc on the crime rates.
You say to Mother Nature that you get it but do you? That is the Mississippi that flows incorrectly around downtown NO, it is only a matter of time before it breaks it's feeble constraints and devours the French Quarter and everything else in it's path.
Oh by the way, I think that Galveston residents, although smart enough to use their buses to evacuate, are also idiots for living where they do also.
I am ssure you will think this is mean spirited but facts are facts, New Orleans was dying and has sucked for the last 3 decades and will no doubt suck again. . . it is the nature of the place.

rcajun90 said:

I live here where the flooding in the Northeast is occuring. (No, I am not flooded out!) Most of the people and towns being flooded are actually in the foothills of the White Mountains and not on flood plains. In fact there are very few flood plains here in NH and the few that exist are really small. The problem is the rain. It's been raining for almost a week now....several inches a day. At one point, we had 11 inches in an hour. That is a heck of a lot of rain. Folks up here are dealing with it though and maintaining a good attitude. No one whining about response time or the type, quantity or quality of help. Most folks are grateful it isn't snow!

As for bulldozing the whole area.... there is no need. The way the terrain is, you are either intact or your stuff is pretty well levelled. Not many in between. Fortunately, the loss of life is relatively small (tragic, but nowhere near the numbers seen in other disasters across the country). Property loss is something else, especially in a small state like NH.

Well, gotta go work on my ark. Laters!

sitarro said:
Isn't it amazing how much bs has come out of the coverage of both hurricanes? The deaths in NO were one tenth of those predicted, the mayor, Govenor, and Senator are indeed incompetent idiots along with a huge number of NO police, no matter how stupid the idea of rebuilding NO is, as long as the American taxpayers foot the bill, the same idiots will be happy to take advantage.
I am ashamed of my State of origin and I think that the joke that has been circulating around the internet would be a great idea. . . sell Louisiana back to France! Let those dufusses spend the outrageous money to rebuild it so that the next hurricane does the same thing.
What really sucks is that so many low lifes that were contained within NO's city limits have been spread around the country reeking havoc on the crime rates.
You say to Mother Nature that you get it but do you? That is the Mississippi that flows incorrectly around downtown NO, it is only a matter of time before it breaks it's feeble constraints and devours the French Quarter and everything else in it's path.
Oh by the way, I think that Galveston residents, although smart enough to use their buses to evacuate, are also idiots for living where they do also.
I am ssure you will think this is mean spirited but facts are facts, New Orleans was dying and has sucked for the last 3 decades and will no doubt suck again. . . it is the nature of the place.

You were so much nicer when Rita was aiming for the Texas coast. I doubt you were ever from Louisiana. If you were we probably kicked you out long ago. :teeth:

CSM said:
I live here where the flooding in the Northeast is occuring. (No, I am not flooded out!) Most of the people and towns being flooded are actually in the foothills of the White Mountains and not on flood plains. In fact there are very few flood plains here in NH and the few that exist are really small. The problem is the rain. It's been raining for almost a week now....several inches a day. At one point, we had 11 inches in an hour. That is a heck of a lot of rain. Folks up here are dealing with it though and maintaining a good attitude. No one whining about response time or the type, quantity or quality of help. Most folks are grateful it isn't snow!

As for bulldozing the whole area.... there is no need. The way the terrain is, you are either intact or your stuff is pretty well levelled. Not many in between. Fortunately, the loss of life is relatively small (tragic, but nowhere near the numbers seen in other disasters across the country). Property loss is something else, especially in a small state like NH.

Well, gotta go work on my ark. Laters!

Glad to hear you didn't get any water. Same thing happened here about ten years ago. They call it the May 8th flood where it just rained constant for about a week and a half. It flooded out many subdivisions but not mine. This
area stayed dry for Katrina but many areas here did flood for that May 8th flood. Fooding in New Hampshire? I wouldn't have thought that would be possible. Mother nature can get you no matter where you live.

rcajun90 said:
You were so much nicer when Rita was aiming for the Texas coast. I doubt you were ever from Louisiana. If you were we probably kicked you out long ago. :teeth:

I was born in Lafayette but being a member of a U.S. Air Force family, I lived all over the country and Guam. We did go back to Lafayette every summer to see my grandparents and returned more permanently when my father retired. I attended USL and spent 15 years in Lafayette before moving to Colorado for 10 years.

While in Lafayette I was interviewed by an on the street reporter when New Orleans got word of winning the competition for the Worlds Fair. I hated New Orleans back then and told the reporter that it sucked that the Worlds Fair would be in that corrupt hell hole, I also said it would probably get s
tolen. I was right, it was a huge loser and many businesses went under for being involved.

I don't care if you want to rebuild that pit, just don't get the rest of us involved in that scam city, go to other crooks for money(Trump, Soros, that racist Branford Marsellus, Bill Clinton the "first black President"}.

Oh by the way, no real Cajun would live anywhere near that dump, they can't get any good food or music there. :poke:

sitarro said:
I was born in Lafayette but being a member of a U.S. Air Force family, I lived all over the country and Guam. We did go back to Lafayette every summer to see my grandparents and returned more permanently when my father retired. I attended USL and spent 15 years in Lafayette before moving to Colorado for 10 years.

While in Lafayette I was interviewed by an on the street reporter when New Orleans got word of winning the competition for the Worlds Fair. I hated New Orleans back then and told the reporter that it sucked that the Worlds Fair would be in that corrupt hell hole, I also said it would probably get s
tolen. I was right, it was a huge loser and many businesses went under for being involved.

I don't care if you want to rebuild that pit, just don't get the rest of us involved in that scam city, go to other crooks for money(Trump, Soros, that racist Branford Marsellus, Bill Clinton the "first black President"}.

Oh by the way, no real Cajun would live anywhere near that dump, they can't get any good food or music there. :poke:

Sorry you have so much hate for New Orleans. The “Pit” was a top five tourist destination in the United States. Despite what you said the food in New Orleans is renowned throughout the world. I went to the 1984 Worlds Fair and had a blast without being shot or mugged. Sure it had many bad areas that if you weren’t sensible or knowledgeable about the area you could get into trouble. It never was the pit you described. You could get into that trouble in any major American city. Some areas of New Orleans was extremely bad because of the poverty. I’m from the Lake Charles/Lafayette area.

You claim that USL was listed as a top party school by Playboy. That is an urban legend over there. The “Times of Acadiana” did a piece a while back about the biggest myths in Acadiana and that was one of them. I love Lafayette and lived there for seven years. You will not find better food or people. New Orleans has wonderful food but it’s a bit different than the Cajun fair you would in Acadiana. No music in New Orelans? You ever heard of Jazz? You will also find some great people here in New Orleans. What old establishments do you know over in Lafayette? What is USL old mascot before the Ragin Cajuns? How could someone that lived in South Louisiana hate the place so much?

BTW whether you like or not, Bush is going to rebuild New Orleans. The country simply can’t do without it. Wait until the folks up in the North get their heating bill this winter. They are predicting they will be up by as much as 60%.

rcajun90 said:
Sorry you have so much hate for New Orleans. The “Pit” was a top five tourist destination in the United States. Despite what you said the food in New Orleans is renowned throughout the world. I went to the 1984 Worlds Fair and had a blast without being shot or mugged. Sure it had many bad areas that if you weren’t sensible or knowledgeable about the area you could get into trouble. It never was the pit you described. You could get into that trouble in any major American city. Some areas of New Orleans was extremely bad because of the poverty. I’m from the Lake Charles/Lafayette area.

You claim that USL was listed as a top party school by Playboy. That is an urban legend over there. The “Times of Acadiana” did a piece a while back about the biggest myths in Acadiana and that was one of them. I love Lafayette and lived there for seven years. You will not find better food or people. New Orleans has wonderful food but it’s a bit different than the Cajun fair you would in Acadiana. No music in New Orelans? You ever heard of Jazz? You will also find some great people here in New Orleans. What old establishments do you know over in Lafayette? What is USL old mascot before the Ragin Cajuns? How could someone that lived in South Louisiana hate the place so much?

BTW whether you like or not, Bush is going to rebuild New Orleans. The country simply can’t do without it. Wait until the folks up in the North get their heating bill this winter. They are predicting they will be up by as much as 60%.

I know a man that lost his company after they built one of the arenas and was never paid at that blast of a Worlds Fair. I went and was incredibly disappointed. Most of the exhibits weren't open and about the only thing of any interest was the mockup of the Space Shuttle.

Sorry that I don't like Creole in food or music, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Paul Prudhomme and his bullshit blackened crap and Emeril, yuk! I like progressive Jazz, New Orleans Jazz is like listening to fingernails across a chalk board to my ears. Al Hirt, Pete Fountain, Louis Armstrong . . . argh!

I never said that I didn't like Lafayette, I lived there 15 years. It was a lot like going back in time moving there from southern California but I did learn to like it. A few landmarks . . .The Strip was where The Brass Rail, the Keg, The French Quarter, and other bars were located. Antlers dowmtown was a fun place to dance as well as Grant Street Dance Hall. Every Wednesday night a bunch of white kids would go to Le Bon Ton Roulez on University {a black bar any other time} to watch and dance to The Red beans and Rice Revue. Couteau would play on Sundays at Boo Boos on the Breaux Bridge highway. My favorite place to Cajun Swing was Jay's Lounge and Cockpit in Cankton, Clifton Chenierand many other Cajun and Austin bands played there. They had cock fights in the back and the rumor was that they would cook the losers in a Gumbo for the band. Judice Inn for their hamburgers, Chris's Po Boy, Mama's fried chicken, all some of my favorites.

I graduated from Acadiana High School where the principal was an idiot named Mr Trahan, he made us all get our hairs cut on every other Friday. I played golf at Oak Bourne Country Club and Acadian Hills. We hung out at Girard Park on Sundays to listen to bands . Bordens on Johnston Street made killer chocalate/chocalate shakes.

Do I pass your test?

It is so very nice to see the responsible evacuees from New Orleans enjoying the North East and there government handout . .

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=107538&format=&page=

Evacuees binge on Cape: Spend fed cash on booze, strippers
By Maggie Mulvihill and Dave Wedge
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - Updated: 12:17 AM EST

BOURNE – Hurricane Katrina evacuees hastily handed $2,000 in federal relief money last month have been living it up on Cape Cod, blowing cash on booze and strippers, a Herald investigation has found.
Herald reporters witnessed blatant public drinking at a Falmouth strip mall by Katrina victims living at taxpayer expense at Camp Edwards on Otis Air Force Base. And strippers at Zachary's nightclub in Mashpee, a few miles from the Bourne base, report giving lap dances to several evacuees.

``They were tipping me $5 a pop,'' said a Zachary's dancer named Angel. ``I told them I felt bad taking their money. But I still took it.''
Another dancer said a large group from the military base was in Zachary's recently and she gave lap dances to several of the victims.
``Some spend good money, but others don't,'' she said.
An assistant club manager, who gave his name only as Michael, acknowledged yesterday that the strip joint is popular with people from Camp Edwards.
``It's no different for someone who lives at Camp Edwards or is stationed at Camp Edwards. As long as they have the proper ID they can go in,'' he said.
On Oct. 5, the Herald observed a virtual parade of evacuees from a bus stop in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Falmouth to nearby liquor stores. Some emerged and openly swilled from brown-bagged containers, while others poured booze into jugs or plastic cups and casually sipped drinks at the Wal-Mart bus stop.
The refugees have access to daily trolley service from Camp Edwards to the Falmouth Mall.
One elderly man poured a bottle of Ruble vodka into a water bottle and spent the afternoon sipping the liquor outside the Wal-Mart. Two other men were seen buying 32-ounce Coors Light cans at George's Liquors and drinking at the bus stop.
Last Tuesday, one 52-year-old evacuee, who told a reporter he was originally from Cuba, stood in the rain outside Wal-Mart for several hours drinking gin and orange juice from a thermos. The same day, a female evacuee bought ice at a supermarket and roughly $30 worth of hard liquor before being driven in a car back to Camp Edwards. Evacuees are banned from bringing booze onto the base. [continue]

sitarro said:
I know a man that lost his company after they built one of the arenas and was never paid at that blast of a Worlds Fair. I went and was incredibly disappointed. Most of the exhibits weren't open and about the only thing of any interest was the mockup of the Space Shuttle.

Sorry that I don't like Creole in food or music, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Paul Prudhomme and his bullshit blackened crap and Emeril, yuk! I like progressive Jazz, New Orleans Jazz is like listening to fingernails across a chalk board to my ears. Al Hirt, Pete Fountain, Louis Armstrong . . . argh!

I never said that I didn't like Lafayette, I lived there 15 years. It was a lot like going back in time moving there from southern California but I did learn to like it. A few landmarks . . .The Strip was where The Brass Rail, the Keg, The French Quarter, and other bars were located. Antlers dowmtown was a fun place to dance as well as Grant Street Dance Hall. Every Wednesday night a bunch of white kids would go to Le Bon Ton Roulez on University {a black bar any other time} to watch and dance to The Red beans and Rice Revue. Couteau would play on Sundays at Boo Boos on the Breaux Bridge highway. My favorite place to Cajun Swing was Jay's Lounge and Cockpit in Cankton, Clifton Chenierand many other Cajun and Austin bands played there. They had cock fights in the back and the rumor was that they would cook the losers in a Gumbo for the band. Judice Inn for their hamburgers, Chris's Po Boy, Mama's fried chicken, all some of my favorites.

I graduated from Acadiana High School where the principal was an idiot named Mr Trahan, he made us all get our hairs cut on every other Friday. I played golf at Oak Bourne Country Club and Acadian Hills. We hung out at Girard Park on Sundays to listen to bands . Bordens on Johnston Street made killer chocalate/chocalate shakes.

Do I pass your test?

Yep you spent some time in Lafayette. However you did say you were ashamed to have been born there. I can't imagine why. Great town and great people. As far as the Worlds Fair, I had a blast in the German and Australian bar. I passed by the Space Shuttle and I can just remember that it was much smaller than I thought it would be. I guess I can have a good time any place I go.

As far as the food in New Orleans, it is different than Cajun food but it is some of the best in the world. I still perfer a Cajun gumbo over the red gumbos I sometimes see here but it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. The two cuisines are related but also very different. I ate at Emril's on Tchpeulouas street and I wasn't impressed. Prudumme and Emril are some sort noveau Cajun food that I can take it are leave it. Mother's, Commanders
Palace, Galituers and the Palace Cafe have awesome food that is unique to New Orleans. There were also local dives that weren't much to look at but had great family food like R&O's. Have you ever been to those places?

I love Cajun and Zydeco music but I also love Louis Armstrong and Professor Longhair. I don't think I've ever meet anyone over the age of 35 that didn't like Louis Armstrong.

Sorry you didn't like anything about the city. Since we had tourist from all over the world, I would think most would beg to differ. I guess you have your opinion and no one will change it.

sitarro said:
It is so very nice to see the responsible evacuees from New Orleans enjoying the North East and there government handout . .

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=107538&format=&page=

Evacuees binge on Cape: Spend fed cash on booze, strippers
By Maggie Mulvihill and Dave Wedge
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - Updated: 12:17 AM EST

BOURNE – Hurricane Katrina evacuees hastily handed $2,000 in federal relief money last month have been living it up on Cape Cod, blowing cash on booze and strippers, a Herald investigation has found.
Herald reporters witnessed blatant public drinking at a Falmouth strip mall by Katrina victims living at taxpayer expense at Camp Edwards on Otis Air Force Base. And strippers at Zachary's nightclub in Mashpee, a few miles from the Bourne base, report giving lap dances to several evacuees.

``They were tipping me $5 a pop,'' said a Zachary's dancer named Angel. ``I told them I felt bad taking their money. But I still took it.''
Another dancer said a large group from the military base was in Zachary's recently and she gave lap dances to several of the victims.
``Some spend good money, but others don't,'' she said.
An assistant club manager, who gave his name only as Michael, acknowledged yesterday that the strip joint is popular with people from Camp Edwards.
``It's no different for someone who lives at Camp Edwards or is stationed at Camp Edwards. As long as they have the proper ID they can go in,'' he said.
On Oct. 5, the Herald observed a virtual parade of evacuees from a bus stop in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Falmouth to nearby liquor stores. Some emerged and openly swilled from brown-bagged containers, while others poured booze into jugs or plastic cups and casually sipped drinks at the Wal-Mart bus stop.
The refugees have access to daily trolley service from Camp Edwards to the Falmouth Mall.
One elderly man poured a bottle of Ruble vodka into a water bottle and spent the afternoon sipping the liquor outside the Wal-Mart. Two other men were seen buying 32-ounce Coors Light cans at George's Liquors and drinking at the bus stop.
Last Tuesday, one 52-year-old evacuee, who told a reporter he was originally from Cuba, stood in the rain outside Wal-Mart for several hours drinking gin and orange juice from a thermos. The same day, a female evacuee bought ice at a supermarket and roughly $30 worth of hard liquor before being driven in a car back to Camp Edwards. Evacuees are banned from bringing booze onto the base. [continue]

What exactly is your point? You are talking about a minority of that welfare culture that every major American city has. There are no places in Houston that if you were to handout 2,000 to people they wouldn't blow it on booze and drugs? Heck I bet a few are buying hookers with it.

rcajun90 said:
What exactly is your point? You are talking about a minority of that welfare culture that every major American city has. There are no places in Houston that if you were to handout 2,000 to people they wouldn't blow it on booze and drugs? Heck I bet a few are buying hookers with it.

Alright, alright . . . New Orleans is the greatest, best designed, most culturally rich and meaningful cities in the world. It has no crime, no problems, nothing but the finest caliber humans, incredible architecture, greatest food and outstanding musical history . It is also home to the world's best party each year and a wonderful collection of the most diverse homosexual populations. I should only be so lucky to not only be from there but also to live there the rest of my life and be buried in one of the world renowned above ground crypts. How foolish to even pretend that it is not the center of the universe and it's loss would not only doom the United States but the entire planet as we know it.

Are you happy r?

sitarro said:
Alright, alright . . . New Orleans is the greatest, best designed, most culturally rich and meaningful cities in the world. It has no crime, no problems, nothing but the finest caliber humans, incredible architecture, greatest food and outstanding musical history . It is also home to the world's best party each year and a wonderful collection of the most diverse homosexual populations. I should only be so lucky to not only be from there but also to live there the rest of my life and be buried in one of the world renowned above ground crypts. How foolish to even pretend that it is not the center of the universe and it's loss would not only doom the United States but the entire planet as we know it.

Are you happy r?

I'm always happy. New Orleans is a beautiful city. It had many problems like 1/4 of the population below the poverty line which caused much of the crime you described. Right now crime is about zero. There is nothing left to steal and most of those folks are gone. Think most of the homos relocated to San Fransico. I get your sarcasim and if you hated the city that is your right but put it in the proper light. Would a million people each year had spent their vacations there it was as awful as you made it out to be?

What ticks me off are the people that don't want to help to see it rebuilt. When San Fran had that major quake many years ago I don't believe anyone even questioned it. How many foriegn cities have we rebuilt? We are an important part of America and it better be rebuilt.

Also the animals you saw shooting at rescue workers and looting were a small portion of even the poverty ridden areas of the city. You are not down here.
I'm seeing many middle and upper class people suddenly reduced to poverty as they are scrammbling to get their clients and jobs back.

As far as your shame for having been born in South Louisiana, I don't get it. It's not paradise nor is it the center of the universe but especially Lafayette, it is a great place with a wonderful and unique culture. But your feelings are yours and wouldn't attempt to be so arrogant as to try to change your mind or feelings. I will leave you the same way I did as Rita was taking aim at Galveston. May God Bless You and Your Family. :eek:

Forum List

Back