Flip flop. flip flop!

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I'm having trouble keeping up with just exactly what this twit stands for. Does he change his mind about things whenever the wind blows? And people would really vote for this guy to run an entire country?

Kerry Signed Letter Backing Gay Marriage

WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry (news - web sites), who opposes gay marriage and hints he might support a limited ban, just two years ago signed a letter with other congressional colleagues urging the Massachusetts legislature to drop a constitutional amendment outlawing homosexual nuptials.

And when Kerry opposed federal legislation in 1996 that defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman, he compared the law to 1960s efforts in the South to criminalize interracial marriages and accused his supporters of engaging in the "politics of division."

"This is an unconstitutional, unprecedented, unnecessary and mean-spirited bill," Kerry declared then even as 85 senators and President Clinton (news - web sites) supported the measure.

As his home state grapples with a historical Massachusetts Supreme Court ruling that could permit homosexual marriages, Kerry's own comments on the campaign trail are being compared by Republicans, Democratic rivals and even his own constituents to his prior record.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...11/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_gay_marriage_2&printer=1

What flip-flop?????????????

He opposed that particular Constitutional amendment on gay marriage. That doesn't mean he opposes EVERY bill banning gay marriage.

According to the article John Kerry opposed the amendment because he believed it would be detrimental to the civil rights of gays and lesbians. He supports civil unions. There is no flip-flop here. Try again.

acludem

Kerry's campaign said Wednesday he has consistently opposed gay marriage

Kerry opposed federal legislation in 1996 that defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman

He's far from a model of consistency! FLIP FLOP! :laugh:

His voting record will spell his doom. He'll vote his ass today and his elbow tomorrow.

Click the link and read the article. There is no flip-flop here. Maybe he's changed his opinion on some issues, haven't we all? Bush certainly has, so has every other politician and for that matter human being. Opinions, positions, stances will change as we acquire new information. I used to support capital punishment. After seeing so many cases of innocent people being convicted and given a death sentence then released, my opinion changed. I used to believe that Santa Claus came down my chimney on Christmas. I acquired new information and my position on that issue changed. Have I flip-flopped?

acludem

Opinions, positions, stances will change as we acquire new information.
Except that I don't think Kerry's has much to do with acquiring new information.

I used to believe that Santa Claus came down my chimney on Christmas. I acquired new information and my position on that issue changed. Have I flip-flopped?
That is one of the worst analogies I've ever heard. Tell me, when you figured out that about Santa Claus, did you ever at any point tell anyone later that you had always known that about Santa Claus? Because Kerry has also acted like he always had felt the same way about an issue when he in fact did not always feel the same way.

I'm having trouble keeping up with just exactly what this twit stands for. Does he change his mind about things whenever the wind blows? And people would really vote for this guy to run an entire country?

Kerry Signed Letter Backing Gay Marriage

WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry (news - web sites), who opposes gay marriage and hints he might support a limited ban, just two years ago signed a letter with other congressional colleagues urging the Massachusetts legislature to drop a constitutional amendment outlawing homosexual nuptials.

And when Kerry opposed federal legislation in 1996 that defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman, he compared the law to 1960s efforts in the South to criminalize interracial marriages and accused his supporters of engaging in the "politics of division."

"This is an unconstitutional, unprecedented, unnecessary and mean-spirited bill," Kerry declared then even as 85 senators and President Clinton (news - web sites) supported the measure.

As his home state grapples with a historical Massachusetts Supreme Court ruling that could permit homosexual marriages, Kerry's own comments on the campaign trail are being compared by Republicans, Democratic rivals and even his own constituents to his prior record.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...11/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_gay_marriage_2&printer=1

Tracking Trump’s flip-flops in his first 100 days

Analysis | President Trump, king of flip-flops (continued)

15 Trump Flip-Flops in 15 Days

The point is that Trump took these positions not because they were long and deeply-held views but because they made sense for him politically at the time. Conservatives wanted a brash, tough-talking outsider. That's what Trump gave them.
He was able to do so because he had never run for office before and so his positions on virtually every issue were unknown. Trump, unlike, say, Jeb(!) Bush, who had a long record of views on virtually every subject, could tailor his issue positions to what the voters wanted.
Once you understand that Trump views everything -- up to and including where he stands on a given issue on any given day -- as a sort of extended negotiation, it becomes far easier to understand how he could so quickly and totally reverse himself on major issues like the US relationship with China or whether the Export-Import Bank should exist.

The positions he once took fit that moment. But now that he is president and, in the words of White House press secretary Sean Spicer, "circumstances change," Trump is entirely comfortable taking different views.

Forum List

Back