Flier for "White Student Union" Kicks Up Controversy at West Chester University

There are plenty of white organizations, they just usually subdivide by origin of ethnicity. Irish-american, Italian-American, etc.

I don't see a need for a "White Student Union", or whatever.

I thought we were all "Americans." Why the need for divisive labels like "white?"

It is a pavlovian response from those who see something wrong with groups created for the purpose of representing minority interests. (Black Students Union, Latino Student's union, etc). They either want to form a counter group, or more than likely don't want to form a group at all, but want to point out the flaws they see in the other groups.

To me the formation of the minority groups is understandable, and in fact even a good thing. In the case of education, the inital minority students (any minority, racial, women, even GLBT) feel a need to group for protection, familiarity, and identity.

This happeend with all the immigrant groups back in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. Over time as the groups became more integrated, the purpose of the organziations shifted from the roles noted above to more of a fraternal organization, for social purposes.

I can see the same happening with the current batch, as it has happened before. The creation of a "white student union" would be reactionary in nature, similar to the nativist groups you saw during the early immigration periods.

There are white student unions. They're just explicitly called "white." I imagine that in a white majority campus, a minority is made to feel extremely unwelcome at certain clubs and whatnot. And this is the reason black clubs formed to begin with.

Kind of like Muslims moving to the west?
Ozmar, would you please quit trying to derail the thread?

It is about whites wanting their own organization at a university.

And has zero to do with muslims or Islam.

There are plenty of other threads for you to vent your hatred of muslims. :cool:
Says the biggest fucking race-baiter on this board.
There you go lying again.

I am 100% against racism.

You won't find a single post from me expressing racism against any other race. :cool:

There are plenty of other threads for you to vent your hatred of muslims. :cool:

You won't find a single post from me expressing racism against any other race. :cool:

Disclaimer: Sunni Man does not consider Jews to be a race.

Liar, you support murder of Jews.

This is comon, to the point that northern people are starting to get annoyed.

Just look up any southern heritage site, then look to see if it's listed as a hate group.

Does my heart good to see kids standing up against the man, that used to be the rebel.

There are plenty of white organizations, they just usually subdivide by origin of ethnicity. Irish-american, Italian-American, etc.

I don't see a need for a "White Student Union", or whatever.

I thought we were all "Americans." Why the need for divisive labels like "white?"
or latino- or mexican- or african-

There's no room in this country for hyphenated Americans.

There are white student unions. They're just explicitly called "white." I imagine that in a white majority campus, a minority is made to feel extremely unwelcome at certain clubs and whatnot. And this is the reason black clubs formed to begin with.
Yes, anywhere whites are a minority, it must be kkk country :rolleyes:

Yes, anywhere whites are a minority, it must be kkk country :rolleyes:

Uh oh! Words in mouth...:eusa_whistle:

flipping-off.jpg

The group claims to be anti-bigotry and they distributed a provocative flyer which generated publicity for their group. I'd say these kids have a bright future in advertising.

What's so provocative about the flyer? They're simply advertising for a white student uninon. Nothing wrong with that, is there? I mean if the school can host a black student union then why can't the white students?

How much you wanna bet she meant in a good way. ;)
Have you met Chanel?

It's fine to opine about the merits of a white union, or to speculate about the motivations of it's would be founders, but if the school doesn't allow it while allowing a black union, that is blatant racism.

This should be obvious.

Forum List

Back