'Flesh-eating" Germs On The Rise

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
:smoke: please let this be a temporary problem....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7407654/

'Flesh-eating' germs on the rise, doctors warn
Study: More Americans acquiring drug-resistant staph infections The Associated Press
Updated: 5:36 p.m. ET April 6, 2005
Dangerous drug-resistant staph infections are showing up at an alarming rate outside hospitals and nursing homes in the United States

New research found that in one part of the country, as many as one in five infections were picked up out in the community.

Until recently, these hard-to-treat cases were seen only in hospitals and other health-care settings where they can spread to patients with open wounds or tubes and cause serious complications. Now doctors are seeing resistant strains among inmates, children and athletes.

Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suspected that those outside infections might just be leaking out of hospitals rather than emerging from the general population. But their study in Baltimore, the Atlanta area and Minnesota proved that theory wrong.

(Continue Article @ Link)

germ or virus can overcame any resistant if they didn't be kill properly and if the government make any vaccination injection easily... only inject if the patient really are sick with the disease... you cant simply inject anybody... the virus can become immune... it just mean that the virus is more clever than we, human :)

:smoke: please let this be a temporary problem....

Drug-resistant germs on the rise, doctors warn - Health - Infectious diseases - msnbc.com

'Flesh-eating' germs on the rise, doctors warn
Study: More Americans acquiring drug-resistant staph infections The Associated Press
Updated: 5:36 p.m. ET April 6, 2005
Dangerous drug-resistant staph infections are showing up at an alarming rate outside hospitals and nursing homes in the United States

New research found that in one part of the country, as many as one in five infections were picked up out in the community.

Until recently, these hard-to-treat cases were seen only in hospitals and other health-care settings where they can spread to patients with open wounds or tubes and cause serious complications. Now doctors are seeing resistant strains among inmates, children and athletes.

Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suspected that those outside infections might just be leaking out of hospitals rather than emerging from the general population. But their study in Baltimore, the Atlanta area and Minnesota proved that theory wrong.

(Continue Article @ Link)

This was longer than six years ago.

Someone has been digging in the graveyard again... or meddling in [ psychological ] necromancy. :eusa_whistle:

Necrotizing Fasciitis (Flesh-Eating Bacteria)-Topic Overview

It seems to me that this is similar to a common thing we also refer to as athlete's feet or jock itch. I don't know, though, just sayin'.

Also there is this: Brain-jacking fungus turns living victims into 'zombies' ? The Register Which reminds me a bit of toxoplasmosis.

And then there is this fascinating find: Ancient Meat-Eating Fungus Found Trapped in Amber Um, wow. Just wow.

Flesh-eating necrotizing fasciitis...
:eek:
Georgia woman with flesh-eating disease leaves hospital
2 July`12 – A Georgia woman diagnosed with a rare, flesh-eating disease left the hospital Monday after nearly two months and headed to an inpatient rehabilitation clinic, where she'll learn to move with the aid of a wheelchair after having her left leg, right foot and both hands amputated.
Aimee Copeland was released from Doctors Hospital in Augusta. The 24-year-old graduate student at the University of West Georgia was diagnosed with the rare infection, called necrotizing fasciitis. It came after she suffered a deep cut May 1 by falling from a broken zip-line along the Tallapoosa River. The bacterial infection emits toxins that cut off blood flow to parts of the body. It can destroy muscle, fat and skin tissue.

It was a bittersweet farewell for Copeland, said her father Andy Copeland in an interview with The Associated Press. "She hated to see a lot of people she loves, to say goodbye," her father said. "The sweet is that she is moving on to the next phase." Copeland's mother arrived at the hospital early to help her get ready for the big day and did her makeup for her, her father said.

Copeland's speedy recovery has defied doctors' initial prognosis. Her father has said they at first gave her just a slim chance of surviving. She spent weeks sedated and breathing on a respirator while undergoing amputations and skin grafts to replace large patches of infected skin. A week ago, hospital officials upgraded Copeland's condition from serious to good. Her parents last weekend were able to take her outside the hospital's doors in her wheelchair — her first time outdoors since she arrived at the hospital in May.

After she learns to move herself with a wheelchair, Copeland will move on to another round of therapy in which she'll learn to use prosthetic limbs. Her father said Aimee Copeland is looking forward to the time when she will be able to return to the hospital, using her prosthetic limbs. "She's a very determined young lady," her father said. "When she sets her mind to something, she achieves it." Meanwhile, Copeland hopes to use any spare time to work on her graduate thesis in psychology. Her father said her goal is to graduate from the University of West Georgia in December.

Source

I was on all kinds of IV antibiotics for 9 days with that crap. From a cut that lost exactly one drop of blood, I very nearly lost my left hand. I assure you, it's nothing to joke about.

That's what my husband died of. It will be two years ago in December. He didn't even have a cut. It looked like a rash on his thigh. We were told that even with surgery, he had a 50/50 chance. He didn't make it. He got it in October and by December he was gone.

i had one of those once, then she divorced me

images

That's how my father died, it was about 6 months ago. He was looking like a rash on his thigh, Doctors recommended us that even though if they will make surgery he is not having enough time and having only 10 % chances to get cured.

I cried because I had no shoes - until I met a man who had no feet...
:eusa_clap:
New Treatment Regenerates Muscle Lost in Traumatic Injury
April 30, 2014: WASHINGTON — U.S. doctors said on Wednesday they have succeeded in coaxing the regeneration of muscle tissue lost in people who suffered traumatic injuries, including wartime bomb wounds, with a new type of treatment that uses material from a pig's bladder.
Implanting the pig material at the wound site enticed the patient's own stem cells -- master cells that can transform into various kinds of cells in the body -- to become muscle cells and regenerate tissue that had been lost, the researchers said. The study was small, involving only five male patients, but its results suggested that this procedure could offer new hope to a category of patients, including troops who suffered major war injuries, with scant good treatment options, they added. All five patients, including two U.S. soldiers hurt by bombs planted by insurgents, had badly damaged leg muscles.

The research was backed by $3 million in funding over five years from the U.S. Defense Department, said Dr. Stephen Badylak of the University of Pittsburgh, who led the study. Thousands of American troops have been left with serious physical impairments after sustaining wounds involving major loss of muscle tissue in roadside bombings and other incidents since 2001 in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. When a large amount of muscle is lost in vehicle crashes, industrial accidents, bomb blasts or other traumas, the body is unable to replace it and the site forms scar tissue that lacks the functionality of the lost muscle.

168A4377-0137-4CFC-B17E-BEBF9D05B1C3_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy3_cw0.jpg

Sgt. Matt Krumwiede of the U.S. Army (L) talks to his friend Sgt. Jesse McCart at a hunting ranch outside San Antonio, Texas

Existing treatments include surgery to remove scar tissue or replace it with muscle from somewhere else in the body, but these methods do not yield satisfying results and are hard on patients, the researchers said. "Nothing has ever worked. There's been multiple things tried: the hype and the hope of stem cell therapy, new surgical techniques," said Badylak. This study, published in the journal Science Translational Medicine, demonstrated for the first time the regeneration of functional muscle tissue in people with major muscle loss. "While the number of patients was small, we were very encouraged by the data. And we were seeing very dramatic improvements in quality of life for some of our patients," added Dr. J. Peter Rubin of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, another of the researchers.

The doctors implanted material from a pig's urinary bladder called "extracellular matrix" - the non-cellular component including collagen present within all tissues and organs - to serve as scaffolding for the rebuilding of lost muscle mass. This material acted as a "homing device" to recruit existing stem cells in the body to rebuild healthy muscle tissue at the site of the injury, the researchers said. Pig parts have been used for years in surgical procedures. Pig bladder "extracellular matrix" has been used in hernia repair and fixing chest wall defects after cancer removal. Before trying the procedure in people, the researchers said they successfully tested it in mice with muscle injuries.

Wartime injuries

Forum List

Back