Flat Earthers and the mentality that pervades society and politics

Why is this in the political section? If you are trying to draw the parallel between flat earthers and liberals I'd have to agree. Liberalism, or leftism to be more accurate, believe in fairy tales. They think you can simply spend yourself into prosperity. They believe businesses are created to provide jobs and security. Profits are evil. Government is formed to provide fairness and equal outcomes regardless of input.

NASA is a bloated, bureaucratic, antique. We would be better off relying on private industry to take us into orbit and beyond.

And you can pay the extra 20% for their profits too, and then they can bribe the govt to reduce their taxes too... yeah, great job.
I have no problem with reducing the taxes of Companies that get us into space let these companies spend more of their money developing the technologies. Get government out the way and we will own the galaxy.

I didn't bother to read the whole thing but what bothers me isn't the flat earthers but the people who spend their time villifying them. Who cares what they believe or think? It is still a free country where people can think whatever they like!

NASA is a bloated, bureaucratic, antique. We would be better off relying on private industry to take us into orbit and beyond.

And you can pay the extra 20% for their profits too, and then they can bribe the govt to reduce their taxes too... yeah, great job.
I have no problem with reducing the taxes of Companies that get us into space let these companies spend more of their money developing the technologies. Get government out the way and we will own the galaxy.

The issue is that they might just end up pumping more money towards their shareholders. That's how it works.

Space is changing, but still, many things are still science, rather than business.

You've always paid for their profits and then some, NASA has never built it's own hardware. If companies are footing the bill for R&D the costs will actually go down.

Note: This thread is not about whether the Earth is flat or not. This is about the mentality that makes people think such a thing.

Why do conspiracy fans believe the Earth is flat? We spoke to one to find out

"Why do conspiracy fans believe the Earth is flat? We spoke to one to find out"

I saw this, and I'm a little shocked, but the more I read, the more it makes sense from other things I've spoken of before.

This isn't about stupidity. This isn't even about lack of knowledge. This whole issue is one of tactics that allow people to ignore things. "fake news" is the most recent tactic. Even Assad of Syria has jumped on Trump's bandwagon of labeling anything they find inconvenient as fake news. And in this issue of a flat Earth, "fake news" appears quite a few times.

"NBA star Kyrie Irving said in a podcast, ‘This is not even a conspiracy theory. The Earth is flat. I’m telling you, it’s right in front of our faces. They lie to us.’"

They lie to us. It's the easiest way of believing what you want. There's some kind of conspiracy, the media is in on it (now that no one trusts the media, EVERYTHING they say could potentially be fake).

"
Why would anyone try to lie that the Earth was a globe?
The reason people are trying to hide it is that they want us to believe that we all come from a speck of dust – that everything is pure chance, and that we are spinning around the universe, somehow miraculously developing and growing. It makes you feel insignificant. It takes away your desire to be a better person. If people understood that the world is flat, that the stars rotate around us, the sun rotates around us, people would start to believe that this has been built by design. People would gravitate towards God. The world would be a better place, wouldn’t it?"

This is the part that deals with religion. I've come to the view that people create their own environments so they don't have to deal with reality. Religion is such an environment. It's been used over history as a way of controlling people, and it still happens, but in the modern era it's about people allowing themselves to be controlled because they want to be, to hide from reality.

But also there's the point of how you feel. Some people hide behind alcohol, it makes you feel better, dulls the pain. Here if the sun revolves around the sun, you feel more important, there's a reason for us to exist. It's also why people want to believe in God. We're not just an unimportant speck of dust, we are important.

"The space program is 100% fake" Fake news again

"NASA is fake and a lie."

"If there are satellites, how come you never get reception when you are on top of a mountain? The internet all comes from cables under the sea."

"The reality is that there’s no such thing as gravity – instead there’s a force pushing you downwards. If the world was really spinning, why isn’t there a breeze?"

It is the same mentality that thinks men, and not the Sun, can change the earth's climate....

Note: This thread is not about whether the Earth is flat or not. This is about the mentality that makes people think such a thing.

Why do conspiracy fans believe the Earth is flat? We spoke to one to find out

"Why do conspiracy fans believe the Earth is flat? We spoke to one to find out"

I saw this, and I'm a little shocked, but the more I read, the more it makes sense from other things I've spoken of before.

This isn't about stupidity. This isn't even about lack of knowledge. This whole issue is one of tactics that allow people to ignore things. "fake news" is the most recent tactic. Even Assad of Syria has jumped on Trump's bandwagon of labeling anything they find inconvenient as fake news. And in this issue of a flat Earth, "fake news" appears quite a few times.

"NBA star Kyrie Irving said in a podcast, ‘This is not even a conspiracy theory. The Earth is flat. I’m telling you, it’s right in front of our faces. They lie to us.’"

They lie to us. It's the easiest way of believing what you want. There's some kind of conspiracy, the media is in on it (now that no one trusts the media, EVERYTHING they say could potentially be fake).

"
Why would anyone try to lie that the Earth was a globe?
The reason people are trying to hide it is that they want us to believe that we all come from a speck of dust – that everything is pure chance, and that we are spinning around the universe, somehow miraculously developing and growing. It makes you feel insignificant. It takes away your desire to be a better person. If people understood that the world is flat, that the stars rotate around us, the sun rotates around us, people would start to believe that this has been built by design. People would gravitate towards God. The world would be a better place, wouldn’t it?"

This is the part that deals with religion. I've come to the view that people create their own environments so they don't have to deal with reality. Religion is such an environment. It's been used over history as a way of controlling people, and it still happens, but in the modern era it's about people allowing themselves to be controlled because they want to be, to hide from reality.

But also there's the point of how you feel. Some people hide behind alcohol, it makes you feel better, dulls the pain. Here if the sun revolves around the sun, you feel more important, there's a reason for us to exist. It's also why people want to believe in God. We're not just an unimportant speck of dust, we are important.

"The space program is 100% fake" Fake news again

"NASA is fake and a lie."

"If there are satellites, how come you never get reception when you are on top of a mountain? The internet all comes from cables under the sea."

"The reality is that there’s no such thing as gravity – instead there’s a force pushing you downwards. If the world was really spinning, why isn’t there a breeze?"

It is the same mentality that thinks men, and not the Sun, can change the earth's climate....
Boy, 2aguy, you are as stupid concerning this subject as you are about anything else.

The Origin of Oxygen in Earth's Atmosphere

It's hard to keep oxygen molecules around, despite the fact that it's the third-most abundant element in the universe, forged in the superhot, superdense core of stars. That's because oxygen wants to react; it can form compounds with nearly every other element on the periodic table. So how did Earth end up with an atmosphere made up of roughly 21 percent of the stuff?

The answer is tiny organisms known as cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae. These microbes conduct photosynthesis: using sunshine, water and carbon dioxide to produce carbohydrates and, yes, oxygen. In fact, all the plants on Earth incorporate symbiotic cyanobacteria (known as chloroplasts) to do their photosynthesis for them down to this day.

For some untold eons prior to the evolution of these cyanobacteria, during the Archean eon, more primitive microbes lived the real old-fashioned way: anaerobically. These ancient organisms—and their "extremophile" descendants today—thrived in the absence of oxygen, relying on sulfate for their energy needs.

But roughly 2.45 billion years ago, the isotopic ratio of sulfur transformed, indicating that for the first time oxygen was becoming a significant component of Earth's atmosphere, according to a 2000 paper in Science. At roughly the same time (and for eons thereafter), oxidized iron began to appear in ancient soils and bands of iron were deposited on the seafloor, a product of reactions with oxygen in the seawater.

"What it looks like is that oxygen was first produced somewhere around 2.7 billion to 2.8 billon years ago. It took up residence in atmosphere around 2.45 billion years ago," says geochemist Dick Holland, a visiting scholar at the University of Pennsylvania. "It looks as if there's a significant time interval between the appearance of oxygen-producing organisms and the actual oxygenation of the atmosphere."

We have increased the CO2 content of the atmosphere from 280 ppm to 400+ ppm. The last time the atmosphere was at 300 ppm, the seas were about 20 ft higher. That is a great amount of inertia in the climatic system, but we are already seeing affects from the increase in rising sea levels, and the melting of the cryosphere. We know we are the cause of the rise of the of CO2 in the atmosphere, for we have the records of how much we fossil fuels we have burned.

We have increased the CO2 content of the atmosphere from 280 ppm to 400+ ppm. The last time the atmosphere was at 300 ppm, the seas were about 20 ft higher. That is a great amount of inertia in the climatic system, but we are already seeing affects from the increase in rising sea levels, and the melting of the cryosphere. We know we are the cause of the rise of the of CO2 in the atmosphere, for we have the records of how much we fossil fuels we have burned.
But CO2 has little to do with the greenhouse effect. Water vapor plays a much larger role. Solar activity creates more or less cloud cover and that does have an effect on overall climate.

upload_2017-3-7_15-34-47.png

Forum List

Back