FLASHBACK: Zogby Polling Seeks Damage Control After Election Day Flub

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Capitol Hill (CNSNews.com) - Following an Election Day prediction that Democratic candidate John Kerry would win more than 300 electoral votes and the presidency, one of America's most well known polling firms continued the job Wednesday of explaining its flawed projection.

Shawnta Watson Walcott, communications director for Zogby International, joined a group of liberal Democrats at a faux congressional hearing focused on whether fraud influenced the Nov. 2 outcome.

"... it has become increasingly clear that this election has produced unprecedented levels of suspicion regarding its outcome, and we join this panel discussion in an attempt to find a resolution to these issues," said Walcott, who represented the firm's president and long time political pollster John Zogby at the forum sponsored by Democratic members of the House Judiciary Committee.

On Election Day, Zogby predicted that Kerry would win 311 electoral votes. For much of that afternoon, he also rated the state of Virginia as too close to call. Not only did President Bush end up winning Virginia by 9 percentage points over Kerry, he won 286 electoral votes, over 3.3 million popular vote more than Kerry and, of course, re-election.

But with a Rayburn House Office Building meeting room as the backdrop, Judiciary Committee Democrats, liberal special interest groups and individuals like Rainbow PUSH Coalition founder Jesse Jackson Wednesday alleged that the election had been marred by fraud and malfunctioning voting machines.

Walcott told the group assembled that Zogby International had questions of its own pertaining to the election.

"We have received thousands of letters and phone calls regarding irregularities - many of which center on early exit polling results that were uncharacteristically inaccurate in several battleground states; questionable practices at polling stations that may have resulted in votes not being counted accurately; and in Ohio, as with other swing states, the automated Diebolt machines were particularly disturbing because they offered no voting receipts" she said.

"It is with this intention that we recommend that a blue ribbon bipartisan panel be developed to investigate the allegations discussed here today ..." Walcott added.

Later, another noted political observer questioned the wisdom of Walcott attending the partisan event at the Rayburn Office Building.

Larry Sabato, director of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia, said Zogby polling may have crossed a line in its call for an investigation of the election results.

"It's highly unusual for a pollster who claims not to be partisan to issue such a call [for an investigation]," Sabato told CNSNews.com .

When asked whether he thought Zogby might be trying to spread the idea of voter fraud to explain his mistaken pre-election prediction, Sabato responded, "I can't comment on [Zogby's] motives. I have no idea. But I can tell you this. This whole [election fraud] hullabaloo is malarky."

In explaining her presence at Wednesday's meeting, Walcott said she was offering "recommendations that may help restore the dignity and public confidence in the democratic process -- a process that is clearly worth protecting."

But Sabato said such criticism of the election process were without merit.

"There is absolutely no chance that the election was stolen, and there is absolutely no chance that the election results will be reversed in Ohio -- regardless of how many investigations are done," Sabato added.

Democrats have centered most of their allegations of election mismanagement or wrongdoing on Ohio, even though President Bush beat Kerry in the state by more than 135,000 votes.

Sabato also ridiculed the assertion by Zogby International that its exit polls were "uncharacteristically inaccurate" in 2004. "They have been characteristically inaccurate in 2000, 2002, 2004 -- wrong three times in a row and highly inaccurate," Sabato said.

"So talking about cynicism, the cynicism is being generated by these wild claims. Was it a perfect election? No. Has there ever been a perfect election in the history of the world? No," Sabato concluded.

hundereds of thousands of people in mostly democratic precients stood in lines for up to 11 hours on a November day in Ohio to vote.

At the same time working machines were sitting in a wherehouse doing nothing.

And of course, they couldn't be right about Ohio, eh? The suspicions about Ohio were also fueled by the Diebold CEO's statements that he would "deliver" Ohio to Bush.

Was the 2004 Election Stolen? : Rolling Stone

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. -- Will The Next Election Be Hacked? : Rolling Stone

And given the recent disclosure that there were serious programming errors in those Diebold voting machines, certainly hanky panky, while not proven, shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Ohio Voting Machines Contained Programming Error That Dropped Votes | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Although I think there was vote rigging in 2004, the pre-election polls were generally very close. If Zogby had Kerry +7 (and I can't find that on the web) then it was an outlying point.

Here's the final Real Clear Politics graph for 2004, showing trends for the last several months):

2004-2.jpg

And here is the current one for 2008 (which shows the trends over the past few weeks):

rcp.jpg

Although I think there was vote rigging in 2004, the pre-election polls were generally very close. If Zogby had Kerry +7 (and I can't find that on the web) then it was an outlying point.

Here's the final Real Clear Politics graph for 2004, showing trends for the last several months):

2004-2.jpg

And here is the current one for 2008 (which shows the trends over the past few weeks):

rcp.jpg

So looking at that data, if McCain wins do you think there might be mass civil unrest ?

I think it would be greater than the 2004 brouhaha but I don't know to what extent.

A lot of the swing states are under democratic governors and SoS now, so it seems the cards are stacked agains the republicans in terms of trying to cover something up if they try anything.

James Carville Hints at Riots If Obama Loses Election | NewsBusters.org
CARVILLE: Let me be clear, I said you can call the dogs and light the fire and leave the house. I think it sounds over.
Now let me be clear here, if Obama goes in this race with a 5- point lead and losing this election, the consequences are -- bull, man. I mean I don't think that's going to happen, but I think David it's a point to bring up.
But you stop and contemplate this country if Obama goes in and he has a consistent five point lead and loses the election, it would be very, very, very dramatic out there.
Waiting, wishing, hoping.

I am still to this day amazed at how Americans dont care about election fraud simply because the fraud is perpitrated against the opposition party.

How completely unAmerican.

Agreed! 100%.

Never understood the "it's just sour grapes" response on the right in 2004, and if the left came out in an opposite scenario with that I wouldn't understand it either.

Forum List

Back