FLASHBACK-The Whitehouse boys club: President Obama has a woman problem

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
my my

SNIP:

By Amy Sullivan | @sullivanamy | September 21, 2011 | 223inShare.14 Log In with

Nearly every professional woman has had the experience of saying something in a meeting, receiving no response, and then listening as a male colleague offers the same thought or suggestion minutes later to great acclaim. The first time it happens, she feels slightly foolish and is a little unsettled. Did I say that out loud or just in my head? Maybe he made the point better than I did. The second time it happens, she gets frustrated. The third time, she gets angry.

Look at the senior women meeting with Obama in this White House photo at a dinner they called to discuss their invisibility. Look at their faces and body language. They are pissed off.

Coverage in the Washington Post and a new book by Ron Suskind has focused attention on the frustration of Obama’s female advisers. But the problem has been obvious almost since Obama took office. And while the explanations so far have blamed members of the mostly-departed boys club–Robert Gibbs, Rahm Emanuel–Obama himself is responsible for a work atmosphere that marginalizes and ignores women.

(MORE: What Suskind’s Confidence Men Says About Obama–and America)

The first time I noticed something was awry, I was flipping through the White House Flickr album from Obama’s first 100 days in office. About halfway through, I realized something was missing. Shot after shot showed Oval Office meetings filled with men in dark suits. But apart from occasional appearances by Hillary Clinton and Valerie Jarrett–and one photo of an Oval Office meeting that included Jarrett and several other female advisers–women were mostly absent from the workplace shots.

I knew the problem wasn’t a lack of women on staff at the White House. A 2009 analysis of White House salary data did find that while women outnumbered men in the lowest salary brackets, there were only 58 women in the 142 highest senior staff positions at the Obama White House. But those 58 were still a huge leap over the 32 highly-paid women in George W. Bush’s White House in 2007. Even so, it didn’t matter how many senior women were on staff if they weren’t in the room with the boss when it mattered. There, a comparison with Bush’s White House is also instructive. Valerie Jarrett is obviously a key member of Obama’s inner circle, but her role is largely a personal one, to protect Obama’s brand. For the most part, she does not fill the same position of political or policy guru that Karen Hughes and Condi Rice respectively did in Bush’s brain trust.

Read more: The White House Boys’ Club: President Obama Has a Woman Problem | Swampland | TIME.com

You could suspect that O's SO would probably bust his chops (no balls to bust) if he "traffics" too much with other women. I've worked in environments where the guys would catch holy fuckin' hell if their old ladies found out they had too much to do with the women at work.

FLASHBACK-The Whitehouse boys club: President Obama has a woman problem

–women were mostly absent from the workplace shots.

The Two Supreme Court Appointments by the Obama Administration were Women ...

Forum List

Back