Flag Day

Today is Flag Day

Fly it proudly​

BLD050791.jpg

I was shamed into finally replacing mine over Memorial Day. It was about 20 years old and very faded, but I started to put it out anyway, when my son snapped that it was time to buy a new one (for God's sake...Mom). Yikes.

So he took it down to the American Legion where they apparently collect old flags and burn them in the appropriate manner. Well the son hung around drinking shots and beer for about six hours and never did buy me a new flag! He was entranced by old war stories, which he then proceeded to repeat to me until he passed out. I do have a new flag now, but his experience with the "greatest generation" instead was worth having no flag flying on Memorial Day. I don't think he had a real appreciation of the sacrifices made for our country until then.

My American Legion Post will have our annual Flag retirement ceremony Thursday night.

Today is Flag Day, and President Obama says Americans should be proud of Old Glory by flying it wherever possible.

He's made the customary proclamation designating Flag Day, but is also extending the observance by declaring the upcoming days as National Flag Week.

"Our flag's journey has been long," Obama said in a statement.

"It has seen our Nation through war and peace, triumph and tragedy. It flew above the walls of Fort Sumter, South Carolina, at the outset of the Civil War. It stood on Mount Suribachi on the island of Iwo Jima during World War II. During the Civil Rights Movement, determined protesters on the streets of Selma, Alabama, proudly displayed its colors.

"Following the attacks of September 11, 2001, Old Glory flew over the southwestern wall of the Pentagon and the rubble of the World Trade Center."

The president has ordered flags displayed on all federal buildings during the week and is urging Americans to fly the Star and Stripes at their homes and other suitable places.

Obama is also calling on Americans to observe the period from Flag Day through Independence Day as a celebration of the nation's heritage, by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at public gatherings.

"The Stars and Stripes tells our nation's story and embodies its highest ideals. Its display reminds us of America's promise and guides us toward a brighter tomorrow," Obama said.
FOXNews.com - Obama Honors Flag Day, Designates National Flag Week

Happy Flag Day! :salute:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Kjgfq-7PQ]Raising The Flag - YouTube[/ame]

Friend,

It's been just over a year since we kicked off this campaign. This journey has afforded my family and me the opportunity to visit voters all across the country.

And no matter where I am on the map, I'm always struck by how many supporters bring their own American flags to our events. To each of them -- and each of us -- that flag represents the principles that made America the hope of the Earth.

This campaign is about restoring those principles and the promise of our great country. Watch this video that captures our journey in our fight for a better America.

Today, as we celebrate Flag Day, we are reminded that this is truly a great land of great people who have made great sacrifices. We are blessed to fly our Stars and Stripes.

What does the American flag mean to you? Share your thoughts here.
http://www.mittromney.com/forms/wha...+you?&utm_campaign=1325332_153533_Mitt Romney

Happy Flag Day.

Mitt Romney

Last edited:
Nobody is going to charge you with any violation but people should show respect for the Stars and Stripes and be aware of a few Flag etiquette rules. Never let the Flag touch the ground and learn to fold it in the proper manner with the stars outboard. A Flag should always be lighted either by the sun or a light source. (I confess I fudge on this one) . When it is unfit for display the Flag should be burned in a respectable way.

Forum List

Back