Flag Burning Amendment Fails!

GunnyL said:
How is an amendment to outlaw flag-burning political? I will give you that it has been politicized, but the issue itself to me is not.
You answered yer question with yer statement.

But, let's think, what common good would this do for the USA?
I really don't see any benefit; in fact I see a negative. That would be a restriction of expression, or if you will, free speech. I believe in it, I’ll stand for it, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

BTW…I’ll kick ass if I see it.

Mr. P said:
You answered yer question with yer statement.

But, let's think, what common good would this do for the USA?
I really don't see any benefit; in fact I see a negative. That would be a restriction of expression, or if you will, free speech. I believe in it, I’ll stand for it, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

BTW…I’ll kick ass if I see it.

if i can burn a koran and not be accused of a hate crime or draw cartoons of a religious leader and not be threatened with death then others can burn my flag.......

manu1959 said:
if i can burn a koran and not be accused of a hate crime or draw cartoons of a religious leader and not be threatened with death then others can burn my flag.......
Threats come from everywhere...freedom has a price.

manu1959 said:

Yeah, a lot of things need to be fixed, but outlawing flag burning is not the way to go about it. I think this is one of those cases where it would be best not to sink to the level of the Muslim barbarians by outlawing any mistreatment of our symbols, no matter how sacred or precious.

Hobbit said:
Yeah, a lot of things need to be fixed, but outlawing flag burning is not the way to go about it. I think this is one of those cases where it would be best not to sink to the level of the Muslim barbarians by outlawing any mistreatment of our symbols, no matter how sacred or precious.
Ya know, that was one of the things we were taught in a POW course. It’s a symbol, a piece of cloth, “it” is not what you die for, you only die for what “it” represents.

So i'm thinking this "failed by one vote" thing was an agreed upon political hack tactic.

This Nov. conservatives can go out and say "omg we wur 1 vote away! u have2vote for me so we can pass this after teh elections!!!".

Liberals can also go out and say "omg they wur 1 vote away from banning flag burning! wtf facist nazi dictatorship trying to ban free speach!!!! vote4me so we can stop them from trying again after teh elections!!!!!".

And the beat goes on...

jillian said:
And when, in your lifetime, has anyone in this country actually burned a flag?

Anna, IL in June of 2005. A group of protestors burned an American Flag at the funeral of a fallen soldier.

jillian said:
Ummmmmmmm.... I think there was one drunk who burned a flag about a year ago and a protester burned one in 2002.

Yup...sounds like an epidemic to me. :poke:

don't poke me you asked the question......

Redhots said:
So i'm thinking this "failed by one vote" thing was an agreed upon political hack tactic.

This Nov. conservatives can go out and say "omg we wur 1 vote away! u have2vote for me so we can pass this after teh elections!!!".

Liberals can also go out and say "omg they wur 1 vote away from banning flag burning! wtf facist nazi dictatorship trying to ban free speach!!!! vote4me so we can stop them from trying again after teh elections!!!!!".

And the beat goes on...

Pretty much.

onthefence said:
Anna, IL in June of 2005. A group of protestors burned an American Flag at the funeral of a fallen soldier.

That's sick.

manu1959 said:
cool so i can create cartoons and piss on a koran....just checking....

Whatever gave you the idea that you couldn't? Though I suppose the pissing could be called out as a public health issue... oh yeah, and indecent exposure. :dunno:

Hobbit said:
That's sick.

Yep. Imigine the anguish of those in uniform, unable to do anything about it. Laying a brother in arms to rest, and watching a group of kids burn the same flag that draped his coffin. It was pretty damn infuriating.

Important Issues Facing the United States of America that Congress Needs to Address (in order of importance)
1. Collapse of the Educational System
2. Maintaining American Economic and Military Power
3. Fighting Terrorism
4. Eliminating the Deficit
5. Fighting Corruption in the Government
6. Investing in Science and Technology Research
31,236. Have all stray animals spayed or neutered (That's for you, Bob Barker)
31,237. What do we do about Flag Burning?
31,238. Who looks better on the $10, Hamilton or Reagan?

It was a political tactic, actually agreed upon by members of both parties. Had their been 67 votes, one of the "Yay" democrats would've changed sides. Probably it would've been Harry Reid.

This amendment is totally unnecessary. Flag burning is and should be protected speech.

acludem

acludem said:
It was a political tactic, actually agreed upon by members of both parties. Had their been 67 votes, one of the "Yay" democrats would've changed sides. Probably it would've been Harry Reid.

This amendment is totally unnecessary. Flag burning is and should be protected speech.

acludem
I disagree, it should not be "protected" but not made illegal. That way I can kick the burners ASS without undue repercussions. Freedom of MY expression, ya know.:D

Mr. P said:
I disagree, it should not be "protected" but not made illegal. That way I can kick the burners ASS without undue repercussions. Freedom of MY expression, ya know.:D

I'd agree with that. Burn the flag, but whoever comes along gets a free stomp.

Mr.Conley said:
Important Issues Facing the United States of America that Congress Needs to Address (in order of importance)
1. Collapse of the Educational System
3. Fighting Terrorism
31,238. Who looks better on the $10, Hamilton or Reagan?

#1 is a state issue. #2-6 & 31,236, I'll agree. 31,238, I say it's Reagan, and we need to put him on there NOW!!! :D

5stringJeff said:
#1 is a state issue. #2-6 & 31,236, I'll agree. 31,238, I say it's Reagan, and we need to put him on there NOW!!!
Important Issues Facing the United States of America that Congress Needs to Address (in order of importance) 2.0
1. Putting Reagan on the $10 bill
3. Fighting Terrorism
31,238. Finding and Killing the Jewish Illuminati NWO Controller Overlords

Forum List

Back