Flag Burning Amendment Fails!

GunnyL said:
But of course YOU didn't see anything. You were too busy accusing Bush of stealing an election from the Dem who tried to.

However, I will leave you to your own homework. Seems only you Dems can't remember Bush's attempts at bipartisanship. They were only the main focus on his administration prior to 9/11.

Most Republicans I know voted Republicans because they are Republicans. Most conservatives and moderates I know voted Republican because the thought of another four years under a Dem President was nauseating.

I don't believe you ever saw my posts after the 2000 election since I wasn't on this board. I can assure you, though, I never used the words "Bush stole the election".

Again, now that you're done venting about democrats once again, I'll reiterate, WHAT BI-PARTISANSHIP? I'm interested as to what you think those efforts were.

GunnyL said:
Seems you know some mighty fickle Republicans. Odd how they seem to agree with you. Think I'll call "bullshit" on that one.

Lest anyone forgets, the Republicans at least stand for something. The Dems stand for nothing except being against anything conservatives are for.

Nope...the republicans I know just think Bush is an idiot and don't want him touching anything of substance....

This "Republicans stand for something" stuff is propaganda...nothing more. Hypocrites all... They're politicians, they want power. Near as I can tell, they want to use that power to bankrupt the treasury and empower corporations and destroy the First and Fourth Amendments.

Your turn.

jillian said:
I don't believe you ever saw my posts after the 2000 election since I wasn't on this board. I can assure you, though, I never used the words "Bush stole the election".

Again, now that you're done venting about democrats once again, I'll reiterate, WHAT BI-PARTISANSHIP? I'm interested as to what you think those efforts were.

And I told you to do your own homework. Is that confusing, or what? If I want to play little games on google, I'd be there, wouldn't I?

Oh, and I'll NEVER get my fill of venting on you libs. You destroyed and turned into a joke what once was a proud political party that actually stood for something.

jillian said:
Nope...the republicans I know just think Bush is an idiot and don't want him touching anything of substance....

This "Republicans stand for something" stuff is propaganda...nothing more. Hypocrites all... They're politicians, they want power. Near as I can tell, they want to use that power to bankrupt the treasury and empower corporations and destroy the First and Fourth Amendments.

Your turn.

Excuse ME? Hyporcrites? I beg to differ, and your post just shows you for what you are ... a left-wing hack.

Near as I can tell, what you "can tell" doesn't amount to much if you are a member of the Democrat party.

And speaking of hypocrites, NOBODY can spend like a Democrat; yet, all of a sudden y'all are so pious when a Republican does it. GMAFB.

GunnyL said:
And I told you to do your own homework. Is that confusing, or what? If I want to play little games on google, I'd be there, wouldn't I?

Oh, and I'll NEVER get my fill of venting on you libs. You destroyed and turned into a joke what once was a proud political party that actually stood for something.

Er..ya, right, some extremist right-winger thinks Bush was bi-partisan? Geeeeeeeeee... how compelling. I lived through it, I don't have to "google", but thanks. I can tell you there wasn't one issue espoused by Bush or one appointment he made that wasn't a slap in the face to anyone who wasn't a rightie...

blah, blah, blah.... your opinion of democrats... antidemocratic (in the democracy sense) at best. You want to live in a one-party system, go live in Russia. I hear they listen to their people's phone calls, too. :D

jillian said:
Er..ya, right, some extremist right-winger thinks Bush was bi-partisan? Geeeeeeeeee... how compelling. I lived through it, I don't have to "google", but thanks. I can tell you there wasn't one issue espoused by Bush or one appointment he made that wasn't a slap in the face to anyone who wasn't a rightie...

blah, blah, blah.... your opinion of democrats... antidemocratic (in the democracy sense) at best. You want to live in a one-party system, go live in Russia. I hear they listen to their people's phone calls, too. :D

Actually, Ms Know it All, I KNOW Bush was a bipartisan player. He could never have been Governor of Texas as a Republican if he wasn't. Simple as THAT. And I guess the Dem he appointed to his cabinet when he first took office was a "slap in the face?"

Your intelligence is hindered greatly by your blind allegiance to a party that is worthless.

And you have assumed incorrectly, again, that I want a one-party system. I would be just fine with a legitimite and viable alternative to the Republican party. However, the Democrats are NOT it.

Before you go telling me what's up, I was a Democrat probably before you were even a thought, so don't presume you can lecture me on what the Democrats were or are supposed to be.

Don't presume to call me an extremist right winger. I am nothing of the sort, and there is no requirement to be one simply for despising the Democrats and the backwards-assed, America-hating political viewpoints they hold.

Honestly, I consider you more moderate than most Dems (until the occasions where you open your mouth and prove me wrong). So when are YOU and going to take YOUR party back from the complete bufoons who hijacked it?

jillian said:
The Republicans I know voted for fiscal responsibility, lower taxes and no estate tax. They didn't want anyone mucking around with the far religious right or neo-cons. The big joke is Bush's platform, originally, was isolationism and "compassionate conservativism". lol...

Just out of curiousity, what efforts at bi-partisanship do you think Bush ever made? Cause none of us ever saw any.

Yeah right. As if letting Ted Kennedy write the no child left behind act wasnt a bipartisan effort. Like the medicare fiasco wasnt a bipartisan act.

Whats ironic is people blame the President rather than Teddy for that education act.

GunnyL said:
Actually, Ms Know it All, I KNOW Bush was a bipartisan player. He could never have been Governor of Texas as a Republican if he wasn't. Simple as THAT. And I guess the Dem he appointed to his cabinet when he first took office was a "slap in the face?"

Your intelligence is hindered greatly by your blind allegiance to a party that is worthless.

And you have assumed incorrectly, again, that I want a one-party system. I would be just fine with a legitimite and viable alternative to the Republican party. However, the Democrats are NOT it.

Before you go telling me what's up, I was a Democrat probably before you were even a thought, so don't presume you can lecture me on what the Democrats were or are supposed to be.

Don't presume to call me an extremist right winger. I am nothing of the sort, and there is no requirement to be one simply for despising the Democrats and the backwards-assed, America-hating political viewpoints they hold.

Honestly, I consider you more moderate than most Dems (until the occasions where you open your mouth and prove me wrong). So when are YOU and going to take YOUR party back from the complete bufoons who hijacked it?

As governor of Texas, Bush absolutely WAS bi-partisan. I agree. I think one appointment post-election of a dem was not indicative of bi-partisanship when everything else flew in the face of moderation, IMO. Not even Christie Whitman, was able to survive the onslaught. You should read her website. She says some interesting things about the republican party of today.

You are right, btw, I am fairly moderate, albeit admittedly left of center. What I will say is this past six years of watching what the republicans have done to this country has probably dragged me a bit further to the left since there was a time I'd have had no qualms with voting for a republican for congress or the presidency, if the candidate was a good one. Now, while I still voted Republican for my mayor every time I've voted for one, I would NEVER, under any circumstances vote for a republican for governor, for the house of representatives or the senate. I don't think any one party should have unchecked control of the executive branch, the congress and the courts. But I wouldn't want democrats to have that kind of unchecked power either....hence the difference between you and me.

Mr. P said:
I'm against amendments for any political cause.

Well, every Amendment has been for a political cause, women's sufferage, ending slavery...etc. My objection is to using Constitutional Amendments to limit personal freedoms. The purpose of the Constitution is to limit the power of government and protect the rights of the individual. The only other time it's been used to restrict personal freedom was for prohibition, which turned out to be an abject failure.

jillian said:
As governor of Texas, Bush absolutely WAS bi-partisan. I agree. I think one appointment post-election of a dem was not indicative of bi-partisanship when everything else flew in the face of moderation, IMO. Not even Christie Whitman, was able to survive the onslaught. You should read her website. She says some interesting things about the republican party of today.

That's crap, and you're just trying to play dumb. He tried to play bipartisan. The Dems wouldn't have any of it. They were too busy being Dems. I forgot when arguing with Dems I need a 10 years old database so when they demand evidence from crap that NO ONE would keep, I can produce it.

You are right, btw, I am fairly moderate, albeit admittedly left of center. What I will say is this past six years of watching what the republicans have done to this country has probably dragged me a bit further to the left since there was a time I'd have had no qualms with voting for a republican for congress or the presidency, if the candidate was a good one. Now, while I still voted Republican for my mayor every time I've voted for one, I would NEVER, under any circumstances vote for a republican for governor, for the house of representatives or the senate. I don't think any one party should have unchecked control of the executive branch, the congress and the courts. But I wouldn't want democrats to have that kind of unchecked power either....hence the difference between you and me.

I don't recall that voted for unchecked power. I voted for who I considered to be the closest to representing my interests. THAT says a lot all by itself. Dems don't even remotely come close to representing ANYTHING I believe in.

Mr. P said:
Sure, but that doesn't mean they must be political. Let's think for the Country, instead of left, right. Works for me.

How is an amendment to outlaw flag-burning political? I will give you that it has been politicized, but the issue itself to me is not.

Yeah, I don't think banning flag burning should be done, especially as a Constitutional ammendment. Flag burning is despicable, unpatriotic, and wrong, but so are a lot of other things that are, and should be, legal. Things like some of the editorails in the New York Times.

Hobbit said:
Yeah, I don't think banning flag burning should be done, especially as a Constitutional ammendment. Flag burning is despicable, unpatriotic, and wrong, but so are a lot of other things that are, and should be, legal. Things like some of the editorails in the New York Times.

And when, in your lifetime, has anyone in this country actually burned a flag?

jillian said:
And when, in your lifetime, has anyone in this country actually burned a flag?

Hey, I'm agreeing with you here. Don't ruin it.

I'm sure it's happened, as there have been court cases on it that I can remember, although, given our justice system, the act could have taken place when my parents were still in high school. Whether it happens or not, though, is irrelevant. The flag-burning ammendment is not the kind of thing that belongs in the Constitution (which defines the limits of government, not the citizens) and is wrong.

Hobbit said:
Hey, I'm agreeing with you here. Don't ruin it.

I'm sure it's happened, as there have been court cases on it that I can remember, although, given our justice system, the act could have taken place when my parents were still in high school. Whether it happens or not, though, is irrelevant. The flag-burning ammendment is not the kind of thing that belongs in the Constitution (which defines the limits of government, not the citizens) and is wrong.

Ahhhhhh......my mistake. Sometimes we see what we think we see instead of what's actually there.

We DO agree.

Cheers. :beer:

Forum List

Back