Fla. Republican: We wanted to suppress black votes

Dick Tuck

Board Troll
Aug 29, 2009
I'd say a sworn deposition warrants an investigation and criminal prosecution if there's ample evidence.

Fla. Republican: We wanted to suppress black votes

In the debate over new laws meant to curb voter fraud in places like Florida, Democrats always charge that Republicans are trying to suppress the vote of liberal voting blocs like blacks and young people, while Republicans just laugh at such ludicrous and offensive accusations. That is, every Republican except for Florida’s former Republican Party chairman Jim Greer, who, scorned by his party and in deep legal trouble, blew the lid off what he claims was a systemic effort to suppress the black vote. In a 630-page deposition recorded over two days in late May, Greer, who is on trial for corruption charges, unloaded a litany of charges against the “whack-a-do, right-wing crazies” in his party, including the effort to suppress the black vote.

In the deposition, released to the press yesterday, Greer mentioned a December 2009 meeting with party officials. “I was upset because the political consultants and staff were talking about voter suppression and keeping blacks from voting,” he said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. He also said party officials discussed how “minority outreach programs were not fit for the Republican Party,” according to the AP.

The comments, if true (he is facing felony corruption charges and has an interest in scorning his party), would confirm what critics have long suspected. Florida Gov. Rick Scott is currently facing inquiries from the Justice Department and pressure from civil rights groups over his purging of voter rolls in the state, an effort that critics say has disproportionately targeted minorities and other Democratic voters.

Of course thats the reason...limit the votes for fear of imagined voter fraud. Dont limit anything when it comes to guns tho...Votes kill people. Wait..

No surprise, but unfortunately it's just this one guy's word. Would be nice if he could produce some tapes of meetings or some other kind of evidence.

No surprise, but unfortunately it's just this one guy's word. Would be nice if he could produce some tapes of meetings or some other kind of evidence.

Yeah, but it is a sworn deposition. How could the Justice Department not investigate. I have a hard time believing that that there aren't other Republicans who are not OK with this. Get a little corroboration, and there's a case.

Last edited:
oops, you did beat me...what will be interesting is to see how the baggers defend this anti american activity that we know is going on all over the republican party, in at least 12 states for certain

I heard earlier that the racist fucks in PA may be able to prevent up to 2 million votes...

Of course thats the reason...limit the votes for fear of imagined voter fraud. Dont limit anything when it comes to guns tho...Votes kill people. Wait..

Yep. Kind of sickening to see all this veiled racism, with a wink..wink..nod..nod, coming from the right. It's not like Florida didn't know this. I recall that in the Kathrine Harris voter purge, there turned out to be 20,000 found errors, and 54% of them effected blacks. Florida only has a 14% black population.

I just hope this gets a little more coverage. It should be enough to energize the black community into getting to the polls again.

Yep. Kind of sickening to see all this veiled racism, with a wink..wink..nod..nod, coming from the right. It's not like Florida didn't know this. I recall that in the Kathrine Harris voter purge, there turned out to be 20,000 found errors, and 54% of them effected blacks. Florida only has a 14% black population.

I just hope this gets a little more coverage. It should be enough to energize the black community into getting to the polls again.

The polls will be closed to the Black community in many states, they will be closed to students and many elderly as well.

I am predicting a civil war if that happens, Hope I am wrong...but what choice would anyone have at that point, sure as hell aint gonna tuck our tails between our legs like gore and kerry did when their elections were stolen right from under their noses

oops, you did beat me...what will be interesting is to see how the baggers defend this anti american activity that we know is going on all over the republican party, in at least 12 states for certain

I heard earlier that the racist fucks in PA may be able to prevent up to 2 million votes...

Yeah, I heard the number was huge there. But I don't think their plan will pass court muster. Hell, I thought Florida who has a long sordid history of black voter suppression was under a standing court order.

Check out the OP article. There's a little more meat to this in Salon.

It's pretty much common knowledge by now that the entire voter ID BS that's been brought up the by the GOP trash is nothing more than trying to suppress the democratic vote.

The polls will be closed to the Black community in many states, they will be closed to students and many elderly as well.

I am predicting a civil war if that happens, Hope I am wrong...but what choice would anyone have at that point, sure as hell aint gonna tuck our tails between our legs like gore and kerry did when their elections were stolen right from under their noses

DOJ is going after these voter suppression cases in ways that Bush refused to. The DNC ought to get itself lawyered up to file suits, since they clearly have standing.

Ya know, I remember someone laughing at the post racial Obama scenario, and at first I was not sure they should laugh, I mean it could happen, right?

Wow was I wrong, more racism today, at least on the table and in front of us, than in many decades.

Jim Crow has made a come back, who woulda thunk it...My theory also is HIllary should have won, had two terms then Obama for two, by then most of these extremist racists would be dead and gone, natural causes, etc

It's pretty much common knowledge by now that the entire voter ID BS that's been brought up the by the GOP trash is nothing more than trying to suppress the democratic vote.

The presumed Democratic vote. What they're doing is suppressing votes based on race and ethnicity, which is pretty damn sick. At least they won't be able to pull the caging gimmick like they did in 2000 and 2004, since there's federal injunctions against it.

The presumed Democratic vote. What they're doing is suppressing votes based on race and ethnicity, which is pretty damn sick. At least they won't be able to pull the caging gimmick like they did in 2000 and 2004, since there's federal injunctions against it.

I like your avie, hey, gimme some of that Obama kool aid will ya :lol:

Every time I defend Obama I hear Carlin's voice (i was a huge fan, sorta know his daughter and i saw a few of his live shows including his very last HBO)...George would tell us that they are all bad and corrupt and he is right.

That guy seems pretty credible. haha. He reminds me of a James Traficant at a lower level of politics.

Are you saying that democrats are dumber and lazier than republicans? I honestly don't care about the voter ID thing anymore (Why care about voter fraud when legal voters are re-electing frauds). But it makes me giggle a little to see democrats admit that their constituents are too damned stupid and lazy to spend a few hours and $10 to get an ID.

The only thing that is common knowledge is that you really do have your head up your ass.

Yes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8]Turzai: Voter ID Will Allow Romney to Win Pa. - YouTube[/ame]

I'm confused, what exactly did they do to stop blacks from voting...and don't say requiring ID to vote because you need ID for almost everything today.

My youngest is severely autistic and HE has ID. I hand out lunches to the homeless and most of them have ID. It's difficult for them to get and they have to jump through hoops but they can get ID.

For a long time, our state allowed illegals to get driver's licenses, hence they got signed up to vote. When asked if they checked to see if the people who signed up to vote were actually eligible, we were told first that they didn't check at all, and then when I wrote a letter to the editor, that changed to they check intermittently. Nothing on what they do when they find someone who is ineligible actually voting.

Ya know, I remember someone laughing at the post racial Obama scenario, and at first I was not sure they should laugh, I mean it could happen, right?

Wow was I wrong, more racism today, at least on the table and in front of us, than in many decades.

Jim Crow has made a come back, who woulda thunk it...My theory also is HIllary should have won, had two terms then Obama for two, by then most of these extremist racists would be dead and gone, natural causes, etc

I think the racism has always been there. It just came closer to the surface when Obama was elected. Too many people in this country just don't want to be governed by a black man. The good news is their snarling themselves in incohesion is disgusting more and more people. The under-40 generation just doesn't like racism, and is more likely to have integrated groups of friends.

This also might help Nelson's bid, and make Rick Scott unemployed.

I think the racism has always been there. It just came closer to the surface when Obama was elected. Too many people in this country just don't want to be governed by a black man. The good news is their snarling themselves in incohesion is disgusting more and more people. The under-40 generation just doesn't like racism, and is more likely to have integrated groups of friends.

This also might help Nelson's bid, and make Rick Scott unemployed.

You guys do realize this dirt bag has no credibility with anyone right?

Forum List

Back