Fla. Gov. Scott bashed Obama's stimulus but kept $370 million of it in budget

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Fla. Gov. Scott bashed Obama's stimulus but kept $370 million of it in budget | McClatchy

Florida Gov. Rick Scott campaigned against President Obama's "failed stimulus" program — yet the freshman politician kept nearly $370 million of the federal cash in the Florida budget he signed last week.

Scott's decision to keep the stimulus money stands out in a year when the governor touted record budget vetoes of up to $615 million. He emphasized the vetoes of “wasteful” spending at a Thursday event that featured a campaign-style “Promises Made, Promises Kept” banner.

But as he ran for office last summer, Scott said he “would fight all the stimulus money.” He also told reporters “I would have figured out how to balance the budget without it.”

When asked Tuesday why he appeared to reverse himself by keeping stimulus money, Scott didn’t specifically answer.

“I think the stimulus was not good for our state, made us more dependent on the federal government,” he said, echoing a budget-signing letter he issued last week. “I think that we’ve got to watch how we spend money. As you know, in the budget, I focused very much on how we spend our money, stopping the growth of debt in our state and making our state less dependent on the federal government.”
<more>

Dem politicians done spent alla money an' now Granny ain't gonna get her 2nd stimulus check...
:eek:
Don't count on stimulus. It's not coming
June 6, 2011 -- Congress will not be riding to the rescue. Economic indicators are pointing to slower growth. More Americans are looking for jobs, and the housing market is in a confirmed double dip.
In another time and place, lawmakers have might responded with economic stimulus measures to get the country back on track. This time around, it's not in the cards. Having spent the majority of the current legislative session operating at a truly glacial pace, Congress is sitting on the sidelines, waiting to see how the debate over the debt ceiling pans out. "I am not sure you could even get the votes [for a stimulus package] if it was clear we were headed for a depression," said Norman Ornstein, a resident scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute.

To be fair, lawmakers have tried quite a few tactics to help the economy since 2008. Banks were bailed out, the auto industry was rescued and unemployment benefits were extended. Congress passed a gigantic stimulus package that included tax breaks and money for infrastructure projects. But now that money has all dried up. To complicate matters, Republicans now control the House, while Democrats hold the Senate and White House. And with the 2012 election year fast approaching, politicians are far less willing to compromise, or risk their jobs.

Eugene Steuerle, an economist and fellow at the Urban Institute, said Washington is mired in a particularly unproductive rut. "It's as if neither party knows how to get anything done. Just the basic functioning of government has become more labored," he said. Today, if lawmakers are likely to commit any one act of fiscal policy making, it'll be to cut spending. Republicans are now hoping to do exactly that as part of a deal to raise the debt ceiling by the Aug. 2 deadline. "Any deal will have to include significant and immediate budget cuts, all at a time when we ought to be increasing spending," said Ornstein.

The debt talks themselves actually carry a risk to the economy, Ornstein said. If talks collapse, markets might get spooked when investors "realize what these idiots [lawmakers] could do." Of course, the nation's debt is a major problem. Over time, Washington's budget deficits have piled up to more than $14 trillion in debt. That's so high that lawmakers find themselves with less room to act. "We've boxed ourselves in with these long-run deficits to the point that it's weakened our ability to manage a short-term crisis," Steuerle said.

MORE

It's taxpayers money. He's perfectly right to take it.

What is it with some lefties that they don't grasp that concept?

Yes, but he said he wouldn't take it. He made a big deal about it. Now he is taking it. So he's getting called on it.

He's made a bunch of rookie mistakes and his approval rating makes Obama's look stratospheric. But it's his first year so he has time to recover.

Yes, but he said he wouldn't take it. He made a big deal about it. Now he is taking it. So he's getting called on it.

He's made a bunch of rookie mistakes and his approval rating makes Obama's look stratospheric. But it's his first year so he has time to recover.

Indeed, it sounds like he fucked up.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if Repubs differentiated themselves from Dems and admitted mistakes?

It wouldn't be a problem if he hadn't run on being against it. You can't say you're against it, and it's bad for your state-then accept some of the funds.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if Repubs differentiated themselves from Dems and admitted mistakes?

Why should they do that? The press would jsut bash them with their own words and let the Dems get a pass.
If that's the worst thing Scott does, getting more money for his state, then he's doing just fine.

Did you see Skeletor tap dancing around taking the money he RAILED against during his campaign? More GnOP hypocrisy...typical.

The dancing starts at 1:18...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5AOIrpRic"]Governor Busted On Stimulus Hypocrisy - Con Job[/ame]

It wouldn't be a problem if he hadn't run on being against it. You can't say you're against it, and it's bad for your state-then accept some of the funds.

Actually, he can. He did. It's taxpayer's money. And, as far as I am aware, conservatives pay taxes. Whether we agree with the stimulus or not, it is our money and we have a right to take it.... I'm more concerned with how it is spent.

Only fools - and liberals - think they have the right to it all.

Actually, he can. He did. It's taxpayer's money. And, as far as I am aware, conservatives pay taxes. Whether we agree with the stimulus or not, it is our money and we have a right to take it.... I'm more concerned with how it is spent.

Wow, do I really have to explain the context in which I used the word "can't" was in? Of course he had the right to take it-but he went around saying that he wouldn't, and it was bad for our state-then accepts some of it. That's a bold-faced flip-flop. There's no other way around it.

Wow, do I really have to explain the context in which I used the word "can't" was in? Of course he had the right to take it-but he went around saying that he wouldn't, and it was bad for our state-then accepts some of it. That's a bold-faced flip-flop. There's no other way around it.

She is the resident hypocrite. So you shouldn't be shocked by her response.

Meh. He's not the first politician to go back on his word. But one can't expect to reverse a position then not take some heat for it, especially when you're holding yourself out as Mr Tea Party Governor.

So are you saying that if I am against an entitlement program......but I am forced to pay for with my tax money, I should not be allowed to capitalize on it if I qualified for it?

Furthermore....exactly how is it that an elected politician should be expected to apply his own personal sentitments as it pertains to a national policy and NOT let his state residents get services that their tax money is paying for?

How would you like it if you paid for unemployment insurance but your governor set a mandate that no resident of his state is allowed to collect unemployment per th extension becuase "he was against the extension".

This "outrage" is rediculous.....I think there are bhetter things to debate.

I personally take offense to that remark.

Cali Girl is very direct with her ideology and does not ever show hypocrisy. If she slams a democrat for something, she slams a republican who does something similar.
She is one of the honest posters on here.

Now...truthmatters is a completely different story.

Cali Girl is very direct with her ideology and does not ever show hypocrisy. If she slams a democrat for something, she slams a republican who does something similar.

You must not see her 40+ posts per day. She is consistently hypocritical. Sorry you are offended though, but it is, what it is.

So are you saying that if I am against an entitlement program......but I am forced to pay for with my tax money, I should not be allowed to capitalize on it if I qualified for it?

Furthermore....exactly how is it that an elected politician should be expected to apply his own personal sentitments as it pertains to a national policy and NOT let his state residents get services that their tax money is paying for?

How would you like it if you paid for unemployment insurance but your governor set a mandate that no resident of his state is allowed to collect unemployment per th extension becuase "he was against the extension".

This "outrage" is rediculous.....I think there are bhetter things to debate.

Did you not read my post? I clearly said he had the RIGHT to do what he did. I just said it went against what he ran on, that's all.

I never said what my personal views are, I'm simply pointing out what Rick Scott said-and what he did. That is all-if you read anymore into it-that's on you, not me. I actually like that he accepted some of the money (he didn't accept all of it though).

But as to the 2nd bold section: if you truly believe this, then I assume you'd be against Scott rejecting the funding for high speed rail in Florida then?

She's a big girl. She can stand up for herself.

Forum List

Back