Fla. cold snap causes iguanas to fall from trees

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Fla. cold snap causes iguanas to fall from trees | 10connects.com | Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — The chilly weather in southern Florida this week was cold enough to force some iguanas to fall from trees. Experts say the cold-blooded reptiles go into a deep sleep when the temperature falls into the 40s.

Their bodies basically shut off and they lose their grip on the tree. According to Collier County Domestic Animal Services control supervisor Dana Alger, iguana reports traditionally rise when temperatures drop, as the reptiles seek to warm themselves on asphalt surfaces such as sidewalks, roads and driveways.

Most of the iguanas were once pets that got released when they got too big. The reptiles can grow up to six feet long.

Very weird weather. We had about eight days of hard East winds. In Portland, in January, that usually means 0 to 30 degree weather. It has been 25-35 for lows, 45 to 55 for highs. But the freezing level on Mt. Hood has been from 9000 12,000 feet high on some days. Enough so that we have had one fatality and one injury, two differant accidents, from ice fall from the ice melting. This is not something we usually see untill about April or May. At about 4000 ft on Hood, the temperature has been in the 60s a couple of days, and over 70 one particular day. In January, yet. Not at all normal weather.

Fla. cold snap causes iguanas to fall from trees | 10connects.com | Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — The chilly weather in southern Florida this week was cold enough to force some iguanas to fall from trees. Experts say the cold-blooded reptiles go into a deep sleep when the temperature falls into the 40s.

Their bodies basically shut off and they lose their grip on the tree. According to Collier County Domestic Animal Services control supervisor Dana Alger, iguana reports traditionally rise when temperatures drop, as the reptiles seek to warm themselves on asphalt surfaces such as sidewalks, roads and driveways.

Most of the iguanas were once pets that got released when they got too big. The reptiles can grow up to six feet long.

For some reason that cracks me up.

Last edited:
i had a iguana until he got to big ..he got outside once and froze stiff as a board ..eyes wide open looking for all the world like he was dead.. i put him by the heater and he sprung to life in about 15 mins..amaszing really

i had a iguana until he got to big ..he got outside once and froze stiff as a board ..eyes wide open looking for all the world like he was dead.. i put him by the heater and he sprung to life in about 15 mins..amaszing really

My son had one that did that too--we could hold him up like a damn popsicle and he thawed out.

Still cracks me up----raining lizards .:rofl:

Forum List

Back