Fix The Intelligence Mess

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Apr 21, 2006.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    The reforms only made everything worse, some surprise.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I won't pretend to know that much about Negroponte, but I DO know the CIA's problems go back even before Carter. To push this on one person is wrong.

On the other hand, the problems do have to be addressed and quickly. Killing the current office holder isn't the way though.

3. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    How true. It is however a fine old American tradition yes? Problem is that we don't have a world war to spawn the OSS. Or a cold war to get the CIA on the ball. Or a competent enemy to keep us on our toes. Or a Congress with the willpower to acknowlege the need to do what needs doing.

How y'all been?

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've been pretty good. Too much happening at home on the parent front, but trying to work through it. How about yourself?

As for the tradition of killing the office holder, it's wrong. Now if it would get the job done, might be worth it, that doesn't seem on the table.

5. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329

I've been busy with real life. Down to only two boards when time permits. Came by here for old times sake. Gonna hang out awhile and see who I can tick off :p

I agree the tradition is wrong. But, without scapegoats who would employ the out of work reporters.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    How are the offspring doing in the military? Where are they? Anything I can do to make them feel I care?

7. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Daughter is drilling monthly with the local Marine reserve unit until December when she will be commissioned. Son-in-law is in predeployment work ups for Iraq. So they are doing the separated family thing and she is bummed, and motivated, and proud, and conflicted, typical young wife. Appreciate the thoughts.......

Hows the teaching going? Ready for summer yet?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    For the first time, I lost out in summer session. I'm in trouble. Have to make up the salary, but my bank position will not go full time this summer. True financial problem.

I'll get through, one way or the other. Can we contact your kids? Would they like that?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    The intelligence business needs help, badly. Sadly, if the one man in charge can't get it done, he'll have to be recycled and replaced. We don't have time for sympathy and fairness when our nation is weak because of its poorly aligned and led intelligence agencies. I would fire Porter Goss first though, then get someone in there that knows what they're doing and can stablize the CIA.

10. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It seems that a reorganization of the thiefdoms would be one possible solution.

Trim it down to 4 or 5 intelligence organisations. Domestic/Foreing/military being the basic 3 setups.

But more safe jobs in the federal bureaucracy have replaced a leaner approach.
    All those family members need a job somewhere.