Five Founding Fathers Who Would Be Rejected by the Religious Right Today

TheProgressivePatriot is correct in the the Religious Right would reject those Founders' actual personalities today.

They would recognize Washington et al.

Regardless of their personal beliefs, our FF's escaped from a theocracy, and wrote a constitution explicitly distancing it from influence.

A basic fundamental American religmo's have consitsteny violated ,for their own theocratic gains

~S~
You people don't really understand what a theocracy is or that the 1st Amendment allowed for state established religions, none of which were actual theocracies.
Holly shit!! Do you seriously believe that? Even Rick Santorum most likely does not believe that. That is over the top ridiculous!!
You don't know your history.

Understanding the First Amendment’s Religion Clauses

Let me know if you need for me to explain this to you.

Amendment I (Religion): Thomas Jefferson to Rev. Samuel Miller

I consider the government of the US. as interdicted by the Constitution from intermeddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises. This results not only from the provision that no law shall be made respecting the establishment, or free exercise, of religion, but from that also which reserves to the states the powers not delegated to the U. S. Certainly no power to prescribe any religious exercise, or to assume authority in religious discipline, has been delegated to the general government. It must then rest with the states, as far as it can be in any human authority.

Here is a good read that I came upon that I want to share with all, but especially those who insist that the United States was founded as a Christian Nation. I am hard pressed to imagine how that view can be reconciled with the information in this piece. All opinions are welcome

Here are 5 founding fathers whose skepticism about Christianity would make them unelectable today

Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum ( selected excerpts)

To hear the Religious Right tell it, men like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were 18th-century versions of Jerry Falwell in powdered wigs and stockings. Nothing could be further from the truth.

1. George Washington. The father of our country was nominally an Anglican but seemed more at home with Deism. The language of the Deists sounds odd to today’s ears because it’s a theological system of thought that has fallen out of favor. Deists believed in God but didn’t necessarily see him as active in human affairs. The god of the Deists was a god of first cause. He set things in motion and then stepped back.

2. John Adams. The man who followed Washington in office was a Unitarian, although he was raised a Congregationalist and never officially left that church. Adams rejected belief in the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus, core concepts of Christian dogma. In his personal writings, Adams makes it clear that he considered some Christian dogma to be incomprehensible.

As president, Adams signed the famous Treaty of Tripoli, which boldly stated, “[T]he government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion….”

3. Thomas Jefferson. It’s almost impossible to define Jefferson’s subtle religious views in a few words. As he once put it, “I am a sect by myself, as far as I know.” But one thing is clear: His skepticism of traditional Christianity is well established. Our third president did not believe in the Trinity, the virgin birth, the divinity of Jesus, the resurrection, original sin and other core Christian doctrines. He was hostile to many conservative Christian clerics, whom he believed had perverted the teachings of that faith.

Jefferson once famously observed to Adams, “And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”

4. James Madison. Jefferson’s close ally would be similarly unelectable today. Madison is perhaps the most enigmatic of all the founders when it comes to religion. To this day, scholars still debate his religious views.

Madison was perhaps the strictest church-state separationist among the founders, taking stands that make the ACLU look like a bunch of pikers. He opposed government-paid chaplains in Congress and in the military. As president, Madison rejected a proposed census because it involved counting people by profession. For the government to count the clergy, Madison said, would violate the First Amendment.

5. Thomas Paine. Paine never held elective office, but he played an important role as a pamphleteer whose stirring words helped rally Americans to independence. Washington ordered that Paine’s pamphlet “The American Crisis” be read aloud to the Continental Army as a morale booster on Dec. 23, 1776. “Common Sense” was similarly popular with the people. These seminal documents were crucial to winning over the public to the side of independence.

So Paine’s a hero, right? He was also a radical Deist whose later work, The Age of Reason, still infuriates fundamentalists.

There you have it folks!!

It's amazing that you Stalinist perpetrate the same lies regardless of how many times you are exposed.

George Washington a Deist? Uh, no.

{
The Faith of George Washington
Posted by Brian Alarid, With 0 Comments, Category: Leadership, Tags: America, Christianity, Faith, US Presidents, Washington
George Washington, the first President of the United States, is our nation’s greatest and most beloved leader of all time. His faith has been the subject of debate for many generations. Some have tried to portray him as a Deist, while others maintain that he was a devoted Christ-follower until the end of his life.

So was George Washington a Christian, a Deist, or an agnostic? The best way to answer that question is to examine his actions, his words, and the testimony of people who knew him.

His Actions

By his actions, Washington proved himself to be a committed Christian and churchgoer. He served for many years as a vestryman, a non-clergy member of his church’s leading body. Records from Truro Parish, an Episcopal Church, indicate that he was actively involved in helping oversee church business and was financially generous to his church.1

For more than fifteen years, he served in various voluntary leadership roles in his church. While he was President and toured the nation, he attended church services in every city he visited, sometimes as often as three times a day.2}

The Faith of George Washington

But you'll keep lying because you are a Stalinist and without a shred of integrity.
The main point of the OP is that the five named founders would be rejected by the religious right . You have not refuted that, nor have you proven that they were not skeptical about Christianity. And regardless of their beliefs, if they intended the country to be Cristian, it have said so in the constitution.
Your premise is wrong. Not only would they not be rejected by the"right," the five founding fathers would reject your attack on faith.

"The Intercollegiate Review provides college students with the best of intellectual conservatism, introducing and exploring the ideas and principles behind conservative philosophy, politics, and economics." On the issue above, IR has it right, I believe.

passionchurch, oth, does not understand Washington within his county's culture in VA.

One, to be a county commissioner, one had to belong to the parish vestry.

Two, when challeneged by the parish priest to take Communion, thereafter Washington would walk in the church gardens on Communion Sunday.

Three, I am not sure the FFs defined natural history and faith as do the evangelical Christians do today.

IMO, he was no sort of evangelical, conservative Christian of today.

Last edited:
"The Intercollegiate Review provides college students with the best of intellectual conservatism, introducing and exploring the ideas and principles behind conservative philosophy, politics, and economics." On the issue above, IR has it right, I believe.

passionchurch, oth, does not understand Washington within his county's culture in VA.

One, to be a county commissioner, one had to belong to the parish vestry.

Two, when challeneged by the parish priest to take Communion, thereafter Washington would walk in the church gardens on Communion Sunday.

IMO, he was no sort of evangelical, conservative Christian of today.
Maybe, maybe not, but he most certainly believed in Natural Law. Something we have forgotten all about.

The Founding Fathers and the Natural Law: A Study of the Source of Our Legal Institutions on JSTOR

upload_2018-6-3_20-57-31.gif

Inappropriate insult removed

Separation of church and state is in fact an invention of evangelical Baptists in the first place, and none of the Founders were atheists for two, and none of the Founders would have endorsed sicko sexual fetishes as being worthy of political protections and special privileges, that is for certain, and then ther eis the fact that it was the Evul Fundies who elected Jefferson and Madison, the 'riff raff' of the First and Second Great Awakenings, while it was the Anglican and Puritan 'riff raff ' 'who elected Adams. Even the branches of govt. are modeled after Old Testament premises.

These sexual deviants and NAMBLA fans always have to make up lies and smears, since they have no legitimate arguments for why mental illnesses and their manifestations and public health menaces need to be 'normalized'.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great read on Washington's religion, beginning with the discussion of the prayer at Valley Forge and then ranging far and wide.

It is worth the while of all to peruse it.

American Revolution Blog: Did Washington Pray at Valley Forge?

I touched on natural history and faith above. Yes, I agree with you, ding, about Natural Law and its influence on the Founders.

Too bad what Washington, or any other 'Founder, thought personally isn't even remotely relevant, they had to carer to and represent the majority of the American people, not to mention all the rubbish about 'Natural Law' is irrelevant as well; none of that stuff came form the 'Enlightenment' pamphleteers, it came from writers such as Augustine, Justin Martyr, the Old and New Testaments, and as for Jefferson's influence that would be 'Bolingbrokism', a popular dissent faction in Great Britain.

Continuing to confuse the propaganda many of the 'Founders' wrote to gain support for their revolt with what they actually believed is a serious error, and leads to idiotic bullshit like the post and blog being cited. Thomas Paine, for instance, was entirely ignored after the end of the war, supported by charity until he died in poverty, and James Otis was deported. Another example, among many, of Jefferson's 'malleability' is the contrast between his assorted screeds about 'being opposed to slavery' and his actual business practice of highly recommending dealing in slaves and the returns he made investing in them and selling them.

The 'Founders' were in a position of being 'forced to glory', and they were never enthusiastic 'revolutionaries' of any kind; they were solid middle class types looking out for their own best interests, and some of them were more enlightened about how to serve their best interests than others, is all. The Constitution is a product of paranoia, greed, and conflicting interests. It's 'greatness' derives directly from how well it worked, not any nobility of purpose. The more enlightened and intelligent sociopaths out-maneuvered the less astute and greedy morons.

Last edited:
nonsense.

Jesus understood that if people didn't learn to think for themselves and differentiate between right and wrong and good and evil they would always be confused, blind, and wouldn't know which way to turn in any given situation making them vulnerable to being governed and told what to think and do by the unscrupulous.
Nothing to do with his views on government

He was living under a corrupt theocracy in cahoots with brutal foreign Roman oppressors. What do you think his views on government were as he was flipping them all off from the cross?
Even Jesus knew that government was a necessity

Where are you getting that from?

Seems to me that for some mysterious reason Jesus preferred death than to comply with a patently evil institution dedicated to perpetuating evil by making blindness a virtue and then profiting and feasting on the blood and suffering of the the blind.. .

Wherever people are too scared to think for themselves some lowlife will always come along to guide them...

Jesus was teaching people how to think for themselves. It was an extremely seditious teaching.

It took all the power away from government and returned it to the people.

According to the scripture he was a rabbi. He didn't return anything to the people. Walk an extra mile was for service to the roman military.
Jesus understood that a violent uprising against the romans would never succeed. The real struggle was within. To defeat the enemy a person had to root out of their minds every thought, belief, mindless slogan and castrating ideology that made them cowards who were blind to the truth and susceptible to and defenseless against subjugation.

People who know the truth and have no fear of death cannot be subjugated even if they help the enemy carry a bag for an extra mile.

Walking that extra mile with the enemy gave them an opportunity to either open or hobble their mind for that much longer.....They could plant seeds of doubt in the enemy mind that they would bring back to the barracks questioning their blind dedication by asking what the glory of Rome that he would never experience had to do with the harsh life of a disposable centurion humping his way through some foreign desert for chump change.

It would have been like asking a delusional trump supporter who wants to make america great again if they ever did much better than barely survive on chump change even when america was at its imaginary greatest..

After going the extra mile you could ask, "What the hell were you thinking when you signed up for that? lol... here's your bag."

Last edited:
Regardless of their personal beliefs, our FF's escaped from a theocracy, and wrote a constitution explicitly distancing it from influence.

A basic fundamental American religmo's have consitsteny violated ,for their own theocratic gains

~S~
You people don't really understand what a theocracy is or that the 1st Amendment allowed for state established religions, none of which were actual theocracies.
Holly shit!! Do you seriously believe that? Even Rick Santorum most likely does not believe that. That is over the top ridiculous!!

I consider the government of the US. as interdicted by the Constitution from intermeddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises. This results not only from the provision that no law shall be made respecting the establishment, or free exercise, of religion, but from that also which reserves to the states the powers not delegated to the U. S. Certainly no power to prescribe any religious exercise, or to assume authority in religious discipline, has been delegated to the general government. It must then rest with the states, as far as it can be in any human authority.
This was supposed to be a guarantee to the states, that they may have a state mandated religion. That was also what the letter to the Danbury Baptists was all about.

What inner rage and hatred leads to this statement: "The Constitution is a product of paranoia, greed, and conflicting interests. It's 'greatness' derives directly from how well it worked, not any nobility of purpose." If the condemnation is that humanity is weak, OK, but to deny "nobility of purpose" in the creation of the Constitution is simple nonsense.

'American Exceptionalism' only exists in just how well the American people carry out its noble purposes. When we don't, we are not much different than the rest of western Christendom.

I don’t know who gave you those bios but other than maybe Paine they aren’t right.

George Washington wasn’t a nominal believer. He was an active lay member of His Church. The man quoted scriptures all the time in his correspondences. He is the one who added “So help me God” to the oath of office

He was not a normal practitioner, Avatar. He belonged to the vestry because it was a requirement to be a county commissioner. He did not take Communion. He was a man of the Enlightenment and does not indicate that the believed in the miracles of the Bible.

~S~

This was supposed to be a guarantee to the states, that they may have a state mandated religion. That was also what the letter to the Danbury Baptists was all about.
Yes and that the federal government wold not interfere with them.

America was founded as a haven for all religions.

That said, "...all men are created...endowed by their Creator..." (Declaration of Independence)

No other people in all of history have ever made this principle the basis of their governmental philosophy.

To steal a few lines from a great book on the topic, the spiritual brotherhood of men under the common fatherhood of God is a concept which is basic to this American philosophy. It expresses the spiritual relationship of God to Man and, in the light thereof, of Man to Man.

To forget these truths is a most heinous offense against the spirit of traditional America because the greatest sin is the lost consciousness of sin.

Last edited:
Let’s get real here

The religious right did not reject Donald Trump.
A prodigious liar, hate monger, adulterer, shady businessman

These hypocrites would not reject our founders

Let’s get real here

The religious right did not reject Donald Trump.
A prodigious liar, hate monger, adulterer, shady businessman

These hypocrites would not reject our founders
That's some logic you have there. :lol:

Forum List

Back