Five Founding Fathers Who Would Be Rejected by the Religious Right Today

Here is a good read that I came upon that I want to share with all, but especially those who insist that the United States was founded as a Christian Nation. I am hard pressed to imagine how that view can be reconciled with the information in this piece. All opinions are welcome

Here are 5 founding fathers whose skepticism about Christianity would make them unelectable today

Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum ( selected excerpts)

To hear the Religious Right tell it, men like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were 18th-century versions of Jerry Falwell in powdered wigs and stockings. Nothing could be further from the truth.

1. George Washington. The father of our country was nominally an Anglican but seemed more at home with Deism. The language of the Deists sounds odd to today’s ears because it’s a theological system of thought that has fallen out of favor. Deists believed in God but didn’t necessarily see him as active in human affairs. The god of the Deists was a god of first cause. He set things in motion and then stepped back.

2. John Adams. The man who followed Washington in office was a Unitarian, although he was raised a Congregationalist and never officially left that church. Adams rejected belief in the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus, core concepts of Christian dogma. In his personal writings, Adams makes it clear that he considered some Christian dogma to be incomprehensible.

As president, Adams signed the famous Treaty of Tripoli, which boldly stated, “[T]he government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion….”

3. Thomas Jefferson. It’s almost impossible to define Jefferson’s subtle religious views in a few words. As he once put it, “I am a sect by myself, as far as I know.” But one thing is clear: His skepticism of traditional Christianity is well established. Our third president did not believe in the Trinity, the virgin birth, the divinity of Jesus, the resurrection, original sin and other core Christian doctrines. He was hostile to many conservative Christian clerics, whom he believed had perverted the teachings of that faith.

Jefferson once famously observed to Adams, “And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”

4. James Madison. Jefferson’s close ally would be similarly unelectable today. Madison is perhaps the most enigmatic of all the founders when it comes to religion. To this day, scholars still debate his religious views.

Madison was perhaps the strictest church-state separationist among the founders, taking stands that make the ACLU look like a bunch of pikers. He opposed government-paid chaplains in Congress and in the military. As president, Madison rejected a proposed census because it involved counting people by profession. For the government to count the clergy, Madison said, would violate the First Amendment.

5. Thomas Paine. Paine never held elective office, but he played an important role as a pamphleteer whose stirring words helped rally Americans to independence. Washington ordered that Paine’s pamphlet “The American Crisis” be read aloud to the Continental Army as a morale booster on Dec. 23, 1776. “Common Sense” was similarly popular with the people. These seminal documents were crucial to winning over the public to the side of independence.

So Paine’s a hero, right? He was also a radical Deist whose later work, The Age of Reason, still infuriates fundamentalists.

There you have it folks!!

Actually that's not too bad considering the progressive left would have placed most of the Founding Fathers up against the wall and killed them.

Actually I find many more Democrats (as you call them progressives) more like Jesus of the bible (NT) than the religious right.

How so? In every study that has ever been published the religious conservatives overwhelmingly donate more of their time, and money than progressives do. By HUGE margins.

Many people believe many things.

For example, you believe Christians are not pragmatists.
What? What do I believe??

You believe the third line in your post.
What about it. Try explaining yourself if your able. Spell it out,

You wrote it, and you don't know what it means? :auiqs.jpg:

And in terms of 'spelling it out', I believe you meant "you're". :laughing0301:

Here is a good read that I came upon that I want to share with all, but especially those who insist that the United States was founded as a Christian Nation. I am hard pressed to imagine how that view can be reconciled with the information in this piece. All opinions are welcome

Here are 5 founding fathers whose skepticism about Christianity would make them unelectable today

To hear the Religious Right tell it, men like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were 18th-century versions of Jerry Falwell in powdered wigs and stockings. Nothing could be further from the truth.

1. George Washington. The father of our country was nominally an Anglican but seemed more at home with Deism. The language of the Deists sounds odd to today’s ears because it’s a theological system of thought that has fallen out of favor. Deists believed in God but didn’t necessarily see him as active in human affairs. The god of the Deists was a god of first cause. He set things in motion and then stepped back.

2. John Adams. The man who followed Washington in office was a Unitarian, although he was raised a Congregationalist and never officially left that church. Adams rejected belief in the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus, core concepts of Christian dogma. In his personal writings, Adams makes it clear that he considered some Christian dogma to be incomprehensible.

As president, Adams signed the famous Treaty of Tripoli, which boldly stated, “[T]he government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion….”

3. Thomas Jefferson. It’s almost impossible to define Jefferson’s subtle religious views in a few words. As he once put it, “I am a sect by myself, as far as I know.” But one thing is clear: His skepticism of traditional Christianity is well established. Our third president did not believe in the Trinity, the virgin birth, the divinity of Jesus, the resurrection, original sin and other core Christian doctrines. He was hostile to many conservative Christian clerics, whom he believed had perverted the teachings of that faith.

Jefferson once famously observed to Adams, “And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”

4. James Madison. Jefferson’s close ally would be similarly unelectable today. Madison is perhaps the most enigmatic of all the founders when it comes to religion. To this day, scholars still debate his religious views.

Madison was perhaps the strictest church-state separationist among the founders, taking stands that make the ACLU look like a bunch of pikers. He opposed government-paid chaplains in Congress and in the military. As president, Madison rejected a proposed census because it involved counting people by profession. For the government to count the clergy, Madison said, would violate the First Amendment.

5. Thomas Paine. Paine never held elective office, but he played an important role as a pamphleteer whose stirring words helped rally Americans to independence. Washington ordered that Paine’s pamphlet “The American Crisis” be read aloud to the Continental Army as a morale booster on Dec. 23, 1776. “Common Sense” was similarly popular with the people. These seminal documents were crucial to winning over the public to the side of independence.

So Paine’s a hero, right? He was also a radical Deist whose later work, The Age of Reason, still infuriates fundamentalists.

Actually that's not too bad considering the progressive left would have placed most of the Founding Fathers up against the wall and killed them.

Actually I find many more Democrats (as you call them progressives) more like Jesus of the bible (NT) than the religious right.

How so? In every study that has ever been published the religious conservatives overwhelmingly donate more of their time, and money than progressives do. By HUGE margins.

Maybe. Post the studies and we'll see. But even if true, charity and volunteer work does not make up for the policy positions that Republican- religious or not- take that screw the needy and the middle class and promote income and wealth disparity.

Having said that, please explain what any of this has to do with the premise of my thread -that the founders did not intend this to be a Christian nation.

Cut juvenile word game crap Billy boy. State your case or get the fuck off my thread. You're just trolling. Pointing out spelling errors does not help you.

Last edited:
I have read up on Deism and it makes a lot of sense. A lot of their ideas are hard to argue with.
God gave is Reason not Religion
Welcome To The Deism Site!
Deism, a unified mechanistic creation, informed much of the Enlightenment. Almost all Christians, other than John Jay and Patrick Henry, of the Founding Fathers were influenced by it in some way.

How odd that Washington would spend so much time praying to a higher power that had no influence in human affairs.

The op sounds like a cheap shot and Christian bashing

Last edited:

Yeah....those con-servative Tories......:lol:

Perhaps you would like to explain that . That is a pretty rash assertion. I would take them all over almost any one the Republicans who are in power now or seeking power

Ri-iiiight.

Back then, you would have been too busy defending King George.

These days, they would to a man count Progressives as traitors.
Tories were the conservatives. It's so funny watching you trumpanzees try to twist your heritage away from yourselves.

How did that Washington would spend so much time praying to a higher power that had no influence in human affairs.

The op sounds like a cheap shot and Christian bashing

Your first paragraph makes no sense

As for the second ...it is shallow and idiotic. How does my documentation that the founders did not intend that this be a Christian nation translate to me being anti Christian ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A convention, mostly Christian, created a secular national government barring overt Christian requirement.

Far Right? Get over it.
They had seen what happens when religion takes over government in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. It's not by accident that most of the supporters of secular government were from the New England area.

A number of important southerners, among them Washington and Madison from VA, lined up with the NE'ers on the issue.

I don't remember Jesus telling Romans to pay thier "fair share " can you give me one instance of Jesus sounding like a state loving Progressive

Cut juvenile word game crap Billy boy. State your case or get the fuck off my thread. You're just trolling. Pointing out spelling errors does not help you.

My case is stated. That you cannot follow is no affair of mine. And it is only "your thread" if you can keep it so.

From the weakness of your posts, I'd wager not.

Forum List

Back