Fish Eaters Stay Sharper With Age

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Yet another great reason to eat Sushi! :)

CHICAGO (AP) -- Eating fish at least once a week is good for the brain, slowing age-related mental decline by the equivalent of three to four years, a study suggests.

The research adds to the growing evidence that a fish-rich diet helps keep the mind sharp. Previous studies found that people who ate fish lowered their risk of Alzheimer's disease and stroke. Fish such as salmon and tuna that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids also have been shown to prevent heart disease.

For the new study, researchers measured how well 3,718 people did on simple tests, such as recalling details of a story. The participants, all Chicago residents 65 and older, took the tests three times over six years. They also filled out a questionnaire about what they ate that included 139 foods.

"We found that people who ate one fish meal a week had a 10 percent slower annual decline in thinking," said co-author Martha Clare Morris, an epidemiologist at Rush University Medical Center. "Those who ate two fish meals a week showed a 13 percent slower annual decline."

The study was posted Monday on the Web site of the Archives of Neurology and will appear in the journal's December issue. It was published early online because of its general interest.

The researchers looked for, but failed to find, a link between omega-3 fatty acids and protection from brain decline. Previous studies found such a link.

Morris said it is possible that something else about eating fish worked to keep people's minds sharp. Or the food questionnaire might have been too broad to allow researchers to estimate omega-3 intakes accurately, said Dr. Pascale Barberger-Gateau, who does similar research at the University of Bordeaux in France but was not involved in the current study.

In the questionnaire, "only four seafood items were included, which did not allow this distinction," Barberger-Gateau said in an e-mail.

The questionnaire included four broad seafood categories: tuna fish sandwich; fish sticks/fish cakes/fish sandwich; fresh fish as a main dish; and shrimp/lobster/crab.

Testing participants' blood for omega-3 fatty acids would have given a more definitive measure, said Dr. William E. Connor of the Clinical Nutrition Department of Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University. He was not involved in the study.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/healthbeat_article.aspx?storyid=85987

Just stay away from swordfish. It has the highest levels of mercury of all the different fishes. and farmed salmon is bad too because they usually use artificial coloring and unnatural protein to make the fish bigger.

Stay away form shark because it too has high levels of mercury, and because finning is a disgusting fishing practice.

Stay away from barracuda because it is poisonous.

Do not eat pufferfish, about 100 people die every year playing cullinary russian roulette.

deaddude said:
Do not eat pufferfish, about 100 people die every year playing cullinary russian roulette.

I eat it several times a year. It's one of the best sashimi you can have. Then I have the skeleton deep fried and the skin also made into a soup. Yummy!

I think eating raw anything animal is gross, have at it.
If you want raw..Check this out….
A Pilot friend of mine had a trip to Japan.
Out to eat and all that…His meal was some whole fish on a plate.
He said it moved, he touched it and sure enough that sucker was still alive!

Sashimi and tuna sushi as well as eel are totally awesome and I could eat them everyday. Plus they are very healthy and full of protein. I'll bet you would like sushi if you tried it. It's not dangerous. I mean you have to remember that millions eat it everyday all over the planet and you never hear of people dying from it. Unless it's something like pufferfish and it was poorly prepared.

Mr. P said:
I think eating raw anything animal is gross, have at it.
If you want raw..Check this out….
A Pilot friend of mine had a trip to Japan.
Out to eat and all that…His meal was some whole fish on a plate.
He said it moved, he touched it and sure enough that sucker was still alive!

That's the best kind. You don't know what you're missing. Live sashimi, yeah!!!!!

Nuc said:
That's the best kind. You don't know what you're missing. Live sashimi, yeah!!!!!
Ya'll can have my share..Man came up with fire to cook raw meat (it would be interesting to know just how that came about) and it works pretty well.

Mr. P said:
Ya'll can have my share..Man came up with fire to cook raw meat (it would be interesting to know just how that came about) and it works pretty well.

Probably some poor animal fell into a fire that was started by lightning and the cavemen munched on it and realized how good it was that way.

However, have you never enjoyed carpaccio? Steak Tartare? Raw oysters? Love it!

it would be interesting to know just how that came about

I was there, so I'll tell you. Me and a couple of other guys (Thok and Turok) were walking through the woods. We had just gotten back from raping some women from another village so we were hungry but we were feeling lazy and we didn't feel like hunting anything. So we looked around and we found this dead yak laying on the ground so we tried to cut it up and eat it, but we couldn't because it had been sitting in the snow for like a week and it was frozen solid. (Thok chipped his tooth. He was always the klutz of the group) Anyway, so Turok gets the idea to build a fire because all of us were freezing our nuts off and it was getting dark. So we're sitting around the fire and one of us,(I forget which one) accidentally drops our yak-sickle in the fire and when we pulled it out, it was softer and it tasted pretty good. After that, Turok bought a weber grill and we started going over to his place every Saturday night for steaks and poker. It was a real watershed event for all of us.

Nuc said:
Probably some poor animal fell into a fire that was started by lightning and the cavemen munched on it and realized how good it was that way.

However, have you never enjoyed carpaccio? Steak Tartare? Raw oysters? Love it!
I'll admit...I love raw oysters :eek: , but I haven't had them in years..To afraid of the Bacteria...Silly maybe. As far as steak tartare, nope, I don't want raw meat including carpaccio.

Mr. P said:
I'll admit...I love raw oysters :eek: , but I haven't had them in years..To afraid of the Bacteria...Silly maybe. As far as steak tartare, nope, I don't want raw meat including carpaccio.

raw steak...'steaktartar' ate it all my life and am still going strong..well as long as it has alot of garlic salt...a Italian thingee...LOL

deaddude said:
Stay away form shark because it too has high levels of mercury, and because finning is a disgusting fishing practice.
I have had Shark's Fin Soup, and it was delicious.

I'll take your advice, though, and not have it too often.

deaddude said:
Stay away from barracuda because it is poisonous.
Good- I am glad this magnifent beast, this great animal
has less chance of being hunted by us.

deaddude said:
Fugu!

"You are a fool if you drink Fugu soup.
You are a fool if you do not drink Fugu soup."

Forum List

Back