Fiscal conservatives bash Romney..

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Fiscal conservative my ass...

Mitt Romney said Tuesday that cutting spending slows growth in the economy -- a rhetorical slip more akin to an argument a Democrat might make than a Republican.

<Snip>

"It's hogwash. It confirms yet again that Romney is not a limited government conservative," said Andy Roth, the vice president for government affairs at the fiscally conservative Club for Growth. "The idea that balancing the budget would not help the economy is crazy. If we balanced the budget tomorrow on spending cuts alone, it would be fantastic for the economy."

That's because Romney is an IDIOT!! Just another Big government liberal with a collection of power ties.

I have to disagree. All four of the remaining Republican candidates have demonstrated that they can balance budgets and cut spending.

Not so much ranting as reporting.

If I could put those words in Obama's mouth, they would flow so naturally and convincingly from his lips, that you would never imagine that they had been first uttered by the self proclaimed "most severely conservative" candidate in the Republican primary race.

OMG - a Republican who understands that sudden austerity would stall the economy !

He must be laughed at!

*points finger at Romney bobblehead on desktop and guffaws*

Mitt Romney said Tuesday that cutting spending slows growth in the economy -- a rhetorical slip more akin to an argument a Democrat might make than a Republican.

<Snip>

"It's hogwash. It confirms yet again that Romney is not a limited government conservative," said Andy Roth, the vice president for government affairs at the fiscally conservative Club for Growth. "The idea that balancing the budget would not help the economy is crazy. If we balanced the budget tomorrow on spending cuts alone, it would be fantastic for the economy."

Maybe it would be a good idea to read his record as governor. He took a deep, deep blue state that was 3 billion dollars in deficit and turned that into a 2 billion dollar surplus 4 short years later and he did that without raising taxes. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, how do you think he did that? He CUT THE BUDGET!!!!:cuckoo::cuckoo:

<Snip>

Maybe it would be a good idea to read his record as governor. He took a deep, deep blue state that was 3 billion dollars in deficit and turned that into a 2 billion dollar surplus 4 short years later and he did that without raising taxes. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, how do you think he did that? He CUT THE BUDGET!!!!:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Well, I'd say he raised taxes and fees...a gas tax, a fuel delivery tax, a sales tax on internet purchases, business taxes, he raised fees $500 million dollars a year...not to mention the capital gains tax that was passed in 2002 that raised an extra $550 million dollars per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governorship_of_Mitt_Romney#Fiscal_policy
Governorship_of_Mitt_Romney

Last edited:

<Snip>

He borrowed 15 billion from the Fed to cover the cost of romneycare, after just 6 months

<Snip>

He's fishing for moderates and liberals that don't want to vote for obama.

Aside from that, he is just another liberal republican with business sense.

Corporations will thrive under him, the debt will grow and the working class will make him a one term Pres and hopefully vote in an actual fiscal conservative.

OMG - a Republican who understands that sudden austerity would stall the economy !

He must be laughed at!

So, um, what you are saying is that Romney would be no different than Obama? I mean, once he's sure he's gotten rid of the last opponent, he's just waiting to be another borrow and spend liberal? Or maybe even a tax and spend liberal.

Actually, he is just like Obama in that he's just talking about how he's going to manage the decline of America, not how he's going to make her great again.

It's OK, they bash common sense and reasoning. Even though I don't like him, Romney is in good company.

It's OK, they bash common sense and reasoning. Even though I don't like him, Romney is in good company.

NOt really.

Romney and Obama are both taking the path of least resistance.

Neither one really wants to raise taxes, because that would be unpopular.

Neither one of them really wants to cut spending, because that would be unpopular.

So they are both happy to just keep borrowing.

This is not what real leaders and grown ups do.

Not so much ranting as reporting.

If I could put those words in Obama's mouth, they would flow so naturally and convincingly from his lips, that you would never imagine that they had been first uttered by the self proclaimed "most severely conservative" candidate in the Republican primary race.

Political ideology aside.... spending cuts will absolutely damage a fragile economy. You can't just cut.... there are a host of separate but connected steps that a smart government should take to secure its economy while cutting its spending. That's logic... and it is logical regardless of political ideology.

He must be laughed at!

So, um, what you are saying is that Romney would be no different than Obama? I mean, once he's sure he's gotten rid of the last opponent, he's just waiting to be another borrow and spend liberal? Or maybe even a tax and spend liberal.

Isn't that what the republican party has been doing for decades?

He must be laughed at!

Actually, he is just like Obama in that he's just talking about how he's going to manage the decline of America, not how he's going to make her great again.

Bringing manufacturing back, supporting education and rebuilding American infrastructure doesn't seem like very good policies if you are merely working to manage a decline.

You would do better to follow Republican policies of tax cuts for the rich, moving the burden of taxes to the middle class, defunding education, defunding the EPA and OSHA, and subsidizing companies that move American jobs overseas.

Forum List

Back