Fiscal cliff

The GOP has no leverage whatsoever. If we go over the cliff, the country will put all of the blame on them.

Sure, it's "W"'s fault.

Sneaky way of coming back later and saying everything's always blamed on him? No one's mentioned him, so this just seems like a devious attempt to stir the pot and divert the thread.

Progressives have to blame someone in the GOP for all their ills. "W" used to be the go to guy, then the faceless powerless Tea Party and now I guess Boehner and company.

So we blame the House next. Fine, it's all their fault. Feel better?

In the interim, how about considering returning power back to the people in the states where the approval rating for thier legilsatures is not 13% or below like it is for Congress.

I want one of these right wingers to explain what exactly the "fiscal cliff" is. Their explanations are not only enlightening and illuminating, but they can be incredibly entertaining.

I suppose it is the time when the economy goes south, the government's credit rating takes a hit, and paying interest on the debt cripples the nation.

The currency is not based upon anything but reputation. Once that is gone the system goes bye bye.

Of course, that would be my guess. For some reason Ben Barnanke does not feel the need to explain alot of what he does and says. Go figure.

I think a lot of it will depend on Black Friday. Strong numbers gives the democrats more power to push. Low numbers and the republicans can state that they are doing the right thing for the country by holding out. Although that logic doesn't quite make sense.

Economic policy based on consumer spending OMG what have we become?

What have we become? Economic policy based on consumer spending? Seen the headlines of the of the major news agencies? Fluff. Noticed what the campaign were about? Trivialities. Which channels, news and entertainment, cable and radio, have the highest rating? Loading up on mental mush. Average hours spent on what activities? Priorities.

What have we become? Damn if I know. I do hope we can become the strength that gets this world out of its economic doldrums. I believe we can. Call me crazy, again. :D
I thought the role of government was to provide jobs. I'm just glad I'm not the one who made the creamy middle of the Twinkie. I guess Obummer just sat on his progressive arse and decided not to bail them out in order to save their jobs. I guess he likes cars and banks better than twinkies. Personally if I prefer the Twinkie.

Last edited:
Why don't I hear any DEMOCRATS lobbying for passage of THEIR "plan" instead of yammering for "compromise" with the GOP?

Democrats have been masterful in playing the Public and the GOP on this issue. They managed to get massive cuts to the Military, tax increases on every tax bracket, and no changes to Entitlements, all in a package they can say they opposed, and blame on the GOP.

They will only pay lip service to avoiding the Cliff, they want to go over it, and polls tell them if we do, the GOP will get the blame, so they will appear to be working for a solution but in truth they will be making sure we go over the cliff.

Not sure if it's proof of how inept the GOP is when it comes to PR, or proof of how powerful the Liberal Bias in the Media is, either way the fact is the Dems can do nothing, get massive tax increases and defense cuts, and blame it all on the GOP.

That's what is going on.

the gov'ts role is to provide opportunity for job creation ... business provides the jobs.

the Republicans have been painted into a corner by the Administration - Bernanke.

along with raising taxes on the upper income earnings there is also massive spending cuts in Defense spending - either the Rs follow suit or it will be done automatically on Jan 2 - whichever way the Administration is in charge.

Why don't you explain what the "fiscal cliff is"? :popcorn:

January 1--a little more than one month from now the Bush tax cuts EXPIRE--and massive budget cuts will be in place. There isn't a rock anyone is going to able to hide under to avoid it. This was agreed upon in a bi-partisan manner 2 years ago--that if they couldn't come to any agreement on what--how much--and who to impose higher taxes on--everyone was going to bend over and take it--along with the 4 trillion that will be cut.

Ironically what Obama campaigned on for the last 5-1/2 years is going to happen. HIGHER TAXES. Only it won't be just the 250k crowd and over--it will be everyone that will be paying higher taxes come Jan. 1. Medium household incomes--$3500.00 more per year in Federal Taxes--those making over $108K per year--$14,000 more in federal taxes. Those that have enjoyed the taxpayer subsidized food stamp programs--the 99 weeks of unemployment insurance will be drastically cut--along with other social programs for the poor--military spending--and other federally funded government programs. Big Bird is even going to be put on the chopping block. This was all done 2 years ago. Both democrats and republicans agreed to it.

And now that Obama has won reelection--there is talk on both sides of the isle to let the 'sequestration"--aka fiscal cliff happen. At this point it's either sequestration--or austerity--take your pick. The federal government BALLOON spending is about to burst.

Color-fiscal-cliff.jpg

You voted for it--you got it.---:badgrin:

Last edited:
the gov'ts role is to provide opportunity for job creation ... business provides the jobs.

the Republicans have been painted into a corner by the Administration - Bernanke.

along with raising taxes on the upper income earnings there is also massive spending cuts in Defense spending - either the Rs follow suit or it will be done automatically on Jan 2 - whichever way the Administration is in charge.

Gotta love it.

Democrats don't have to do a thing. :clap2:

Here's hoping Obama realizes this.. :confused:

Democrats have been masterful in playing the Public and the GOP on this issue. They managed to get massive cuts to the Military, tax increases on every tax bracket, and no changes to Entitlements, all in a package they can say they opposed, and blame on the GOP.

They will only pay lip service to avoiding the Cliff, they want to go over it, and polls tell them if we do, the GOP will get the blame, so they will appear to be working for a solution but in truth they will be making sure we go over the cliff.

Not sure if it's proof of how inept the GOP is when it comes to PR, or proof of how powerful the Liberal Bias in the Media is, either way the fact is the Dems can do nothing, get massive tax increases and defense cuts, and blame it all on the GOP.

That's what is going on.
:lol:

In a nutshell?

Yup.

Fed chairman Ben Barnanke coined the phrase fiscal cliff to define the unsustainable fiscal path of the United States, and guess what, nothing has changed since he uttered these words in February and nothing will change in the near future.

There are several ways to look at this.

1. Ben Barnanke is an idiot and does not know what he is talking about.

2. Nothing is being done because of the obstructionist GOP.

3. Nothing is being done because of the obstructionists democrats.

4. Nothing is being done because of the obstructionists GOP and democrats.

5. You have no idea what Bernanke was talking about.

democracy has truly failed in the US.

Well, the US system of government is really ugly, I will give you that. But it has been that way from the start, and the US is still here, so I would not start jumping to conclusions just yet.

That's what is going on.

Yup, and tell me that GOP does not deserve that! They could keep promising the moon to its dumb base only for so long.

I want one of these right wingers to explain what exactly the "fiscal cliff" is. Their explanations are not only enlightening and illuminating, but they can be incredibly entertaining.

I suppose it is the time when the economy goes south, the government's credit rating takes a hit, and paying interest on the debt cripples the nation.

The currency is not based upon anything but reputation. Once that is gone the system goes bye bye.

Of course, that would be my guess. For some reason Ben Barnanke does not feel the need to explain alot of what he does and says. Go figure.

Have you ever thought about using "Google" instead of guessing? Just asking.

Why don't you explain what the "fiscal cliff is"? :popcorn:

January 1--a little more than one month from now the Bush tax cuts EXPIRE--and massive budget cuts will be in place. There isn't a rock anyone is going to able to hide under to avoid it. This was agreed upon in a bi-partisan manner 2 years ago--that if they couldn't come to any agreement on what--how much--and who to impose higher taxes on--everyone was going to bend over and take it--along with the 4 trillion that will be cut.

Ironically what Obama campaigned on for the last 5-1/2 years is going to happen. HIGHER TAXES. Only it won't be just the 250k crowd and over--it will be everyone that will be paying higher taxes come Jan. 1. Medium household incomes--$3500.00 more per year in Federal Taxes--those making over $108K per year--$14,000 more in federal taxes. Those that have enjoyed the taxpayer subsidized food stamp programs--the 99 weeks of unemployment insurance will be drastically cut--along with other social programs for the poor--military spending--and other federally funded government programs. Big Bird is even going to be put on the chopping block. This was all done 2 years ago. Both democrats and republicans agreed to it.

And now that Obama has won reelection--there is talk on both sides of the isle to let the 'sequestration"--aka fiscal cliff happen. At this point it's either sequestration--or austerity--take your pick. The federal government BALLOON spending is about to burst.

Color-fiscal-cliff.jpg

You voted for it--you got it.---:badgrin:

So you are saying taxes will be going back to a level they were at when the country had a surplus and unemployment was at 5%?

So here's the plan on the fiscal cliff... Democrats..

Blame the Republicans if we don't get our way...

No wonder this countries in complete failure mode... pathetic

Why don't I hear any DEMOCRATS lobbying for passage of THEIR "plan" instead of yammering for "compromise" with the GOP?

What drugs are you on?

Obama said what the Democratic plan was in every single speech he made for the past several months.

I think a lot of it will depend on Black Friday. Strong numbers gives the democrats more power to push. Low numbers and the republicans can state that they are doing the right thing for the country by holding out. Although that logic doesn't quite make sense.

The GOP has no leverage whatsoever. If we go over the cliff, the country will put all of the blame on them.

Sure, it's "W"'s fault.

Nooooo... Where do you come up with this stuff?

It will be the fault of the GOP House.

Obama gets his increased taxes on the top 2 percent, or we go over the cliff.

This is not complicated.

It becomes complicated later, when negotiations over budget cuts begin.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back