First we get "But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it..."

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, "But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it..." was an observation that so much misinformation was swirling around the health care bill that only actual implementation would ever put them to rest. I can't tell from the context what Dodd's statement means.

Now we get

"No one will know until this is actually in place how it works. But we believe we've done something that has been needed for a long time. It took a crisis to bring us to the point where we could actually get this job done."

House, Senate leaders finalize details of sweeping financial overhaul

WTF?

If they don't know how it works why do they want to try it? Is our economy a lab experiment now?

And an even more telling comment from one of the archetects of the current economic situation [Fannie/Freddie]:

"It's a great moment," said a teary-eyed Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.), who as chairman of the banking committee led the effort in the Senate. "It took a crisis to bring us to the point where we could actually get this job done."

Thrilling Senator...just thrilling...:rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, "But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it..." was an observation that so much misinformation was swirling around the health care bill that only actual implementation would ever put them to rest. I can't tell from the context what Dodd's statement means.

That's no excuse! Whose repsonsibility was it to make sure the correct information was available? Yep.. but no,, these asswipes have been known to vote for and sign legislation they haven't even read. We don't call them DUmmies for nothing.

Looks the the damage control squad is out trying to hose down Dodd's remark. Iit appears the New York Times and the LA Times decided to “edit” Mr. Dodd’s statement.

by Brady Dennis
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 25, 2010; 10:51 AM

“It’s a great moment. I’m proud to have been here,” said a teary-eyed Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.), who as chairman of the Senate Banking Committee led the effort in the Senate. “No one will know until this is actually in place how it works. But we believe we’ve done something that has been needed for a long time. It took a crisis to bring us to the point where we could actually get this job done.”

Searching the major online news outlets this morning, it appears the New York Times and the LA Times decided to “edit” Mr. Dodd’s statement:

Senator Christopher J. Dodd of Connecticut, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, said legislators were still uncertain how the bill will work until it is in place. “But we believe we’ve done something that has been needed for a long time,” he said.

“We’ve done something that’s been badly needed, sorely needed for a long time and we hope will protect our country, create the kinds of jobs and wealth and optimism and trust once again in our financial systems that’s been so missing,” Dodd said after the final vote shortly before 6 a.m.. “It’s a great moment.” link

The Greenroom Christopher Dodd on Landmark Financial Overhaul: “No one will know until this is actually in place how it works?

That's no excuse! Whose repsonsibility was it to make sure the correct information was available? Yep.. but no,, these asswipes have been known to vote for and sign legislation they haven't even read. We don't call them DUmmies for nothing.

The correct information was available. Section-by-section summaries of every single bill considered during the health care debate were available when the bills themselves were released. The text of every bill was available. The CRS summary of every bill was available. Numerous independent summaries (e.g. Kaiser) were available. Websites like FactCheck and Politifact frequently factchecked false claims.

The blame for misinformation running so rampant falls mostly on three parties: 1) a media that focused more on politics than policy, 2) the spreaders of misinformation themselves, and 3) any citizen who accepted false "facts" without verifying them with the above mentioned sources.

But don't you see that it gives them an 'out' when things go awry. They can feign ignorance...and it would be true. But they are still responsible for what they sign up for in our name.

Go Judge Nepolitano! Just as the Healthcare Bill is being challanged on Constitutional Grounds.

These present occupants of The Congress call themselves 'Lawmakers' and refuse to look at the base, the very root of our law. Thing is? They don't care. Their power and that of the Imperial Fed is of more import.

Nice find.
Thanks. And not a single one of them have considered for a moment what it would mean if the opposition party takes over the government after they've given it all this power.

And by the way? I heard Obama tout this as the most important piece of legislation of this type since the days of FDR.

Funny though...FDR ignored the Constitution as well on many fronts.

Pffft. It's just a piece of paper. Old rich white men wrote it. The Leftist agenda is far more important.

Go Judge Nepolitano! Just as the Healthcare Bill is being challanged on Constitutional Grounds.

These present occupants of The Congress call themselves 'Lawmakers' and refuse to look at the base, the very root of our law. Thing is? They don't care. Their power and that of the Imperial Fed is of more import.

Nice find.
Thanks. And not a single one of them have considered for a moment what it would mean if the opposition party takes over the government after they've given it all this power.

Nancy Pelosi I think gets it...

Pelosi asks for donations to fend off potential GOP investigations <June 23rd The Hill

Apologies to the OP for getting off the beaten path a bit.

Now we get

"No one will know until this is actually in place how it works. But we believe we've done something that has been needed for a long time. It took a crisis to bring us to the point where we could actually get this job done."

WTF?

If they don't know how it works why do they want to try it? Is our economy a lab experiment now?

I guess you're opposed to any and all attempts to cap the leaking oil from BP's disaster. After all, no one knows how it's going to work, or if it will work at all, until the cap is put in place.:cuckoo:

Now we get

WTF?

I guess you're opposed to any and all attempts to cap the leaking oil from BP's disaster. After all, no one knows how it's going to work, or if it will work at all, until the cap is put in place.:cuckoo:

False equivalency is false...

Yup. Here we go again. 2000 pages of legal-eze which thoughtful legislators admit does not address most of the systemic problems that created the current financial mess, that the legislators themselves have not read and most don't care what is in it, and of which Chris Dodd said:

"It's a great moment. I'm proud to have been here," said a teary-eyed Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.), who as chairman of the Senate Banking Committee led the effort in the Senate. "No one will know until this is actually in place how it works. But we believe we've done something that has been needed for a long time. It took a crisis to bring us to the point where we could actually get this job done."

Wouldn't it inspire more confidence in our fearless leaders if they knew how something works BEFORE they voted on it?

Lawmakers guide Dodd-Frank bill for Wall Street reform into homestretch

Now we get

WTF?

interesting logic :cuckoo: You have got to be bobo :) I thought so but this post makes me sure.

Hows it been wacktard.

Forum List

Back