First the Guns, then the Knives, Now...

The government hasn't passed any legislation regarding plastic glasses. Neither does it have any such legislative procedures on the books. Let me remind you how you started the thread:

there has been a call from a researcher in the U.K. to ban glasses and bottles in U.K. pubs and nightclubs.

A researcher on criminal violence says this at a conference and suddenly the British government are banning glasses in pubs! Excuse me while I piss my pants laughing!

Yeah, I get it, I read the article, I posted the OP. It was the suggestion of such a ban that motivated me to start the thread. Look, a few years back I scoffed at the idea that certain kitchen knives would be banned in the U.K. I would have never thought people would be carded just to buy a pizza cutter. Six arrested for burning a book? Really? Convicted of murder for defending your home? What the hell?

Piss yourself all you want, but can you honestly tell me that the banning of drinking glasses in favor of plastic cups is not a real possibility? At least in certain problem areas? And if it does happen in those areas, how long before the ban spreads?

As I stated, my OP was not meant as a critique of the U.K. so much as it was meant to be a reminder for the U.S. My point being that the loss of rights and freedoms don't happen all at once, it happens quietly, slowly, incrementally.

For the most part, you folks seem happy with the laws and government you have, good for you. We Yanks tend to be a tad more rebellious...

If you were familiar with some of the pub and bar vomitoreums frequented by drunken yobs on Friday and Saturday nights you would understand why some believe plastic glasses would reduce the dreadful injuries from glassing attacks, which occur on an all to frequent basis. Quite honestly they don't deserve to be treated as civilised beings.

Incidentally, plastic glasses are already used on some occassions. Primarily at outdoor events, where pilfering is a problem and breakage and lying glass is dangerous. Talking of a ban is pure hypothesis.

I'm aware of the kitchen knife ban you refer to. Again, this was never a ban. It was once again some do gooder floating an idea. It was never taken up by government. Kitchen knives remain as they always have been. There is no need to ban kitchen knives. We have laws governing the carrying of knives:

"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches." [CJA 1988 section 139(1)]

The phrase "good reason" is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a bona fide reason to do so. Examples of bona fide reasons which have been accepted include: a knife required for ones trade (e.g. a chefs knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).
And I thought the British were so civilized. I've been to lot of pubs in the US and I don't think I have ever seen anybody throwing glasses.

Yeah, I get it, I read the article, I posted the OP. It was the suggestion of such a ban that motivated me to start the thread. Look, a few years back I scoffed at the idea that certain kitchen knives would be banned in the U.K. I would have never thought people would be carded just to buy a pizza cutter. Six arrested for burning a book? Really? Convicted of murder for defending your home? What the hell?

Piss yourself all you want, but can you honestly tell me that the banning of drinking glasses in favor of plastic cups is not a real possibility? At least in certain problem areas? And if it does happen in those areas, how long before the ban spreads?

As I stated, my OP was not meant as a critique of the U.K. so much as it was meant to be a reminder for the U.S. My point being that the loss of rights and freedoms don't happen all at once, it happens quietly, slowly, incrementally.

For the most part, you folks seem happy with the laws and government you have, good for you. We Yanks tend to be a tad more rebellious...

If you were familiar with some of the pub and bar vomitoreums frequented by drunken yobs on Friday and Saturday nights you would understand why some believe plastic glasses would reduce the dreadful injuries from glassing attacks, which occur on an all to frequent basis. Quite honestly they don't deserve to be treated as civilised beings.

Incidentally, plastic glasses are already used on some occassions. Primarily at outdoor events, where pilfering is a problem and breakage and lying glass is dangerous. Talking of a ban is pure hypothesis.

I'm aware of the kitchen knife ban you refer to. Again, this was never a ban. It was once again some do gooder floating an idea. It was never taken up by government. Kitchen knives remain as they always have been. There is no need to ban kitchen knives. We have laws governing the carrying of knives:

"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches." [CJA 1988 section 139(1)]

The phrase "good reason" is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a bona fide reason to do so. Examples of bona fide reasons which have been accepted include: a knife required for ones trade (e.g. a chefs knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).
And I thought the British were so civilized. I've been to lot of pubs in the US and I don't think I have ever seen anybody throwing glasses.

Got anything intelligent to add?

Lol! What a dumb fucking moron you are! Cuts both ways doesn't it dumbfuck! And by the way! You never answered my question: Why would we need guns to defend ourselves?
Just because you don't agree with what I said, does that make me stupid. You are asking me to answer your question by repling with another reply that caused your buddy from England to leave this thread. Here in America we have the right to keep and bear arms to defend ourself from an overbearing government. WE had that right in 1776 and we still have that right today. Your buddy made a comment concerning automatic firearms as if every American had one or could get one. that was an incorrect assumption on his part. Not to many Americans own a automatic firearm

But to answer your question directly
"Why would we need guns to defend ourselves?"

I guess you don't need firearms to defend yourself since your bobbies started carring guns when they banned firearms in your country.
So when are they going to have an all out ban on knives in your country? I hear the murder rate with knives doubled sinced they banned firearms in your country

First of all he ain't my buddy. I don't know him from Adam. Right? Secondly, your ignorance of events outside of your little parochial bubble shines through like a pork sausage in a mosque. Our police do not carry firearms, except for a special armed squad. The ordinary police on the street are unarmed. The murder rate with knives is confined to gang type incidents and although regrettable, are a very small proportion of crimes. Concentrate on events you have some knowledge about and you'll not come across as stupid as you currently do.

Oh, and given that I'm not going to be attacked by anyone with a gun, why would I need a gun to defend myself? Are you really telling me that you have concerns for what we do here? Somehow I can't see that. Therefore your motive must be an attempt to ridicule in some way. Fine. Just keep demonstrating what a complete dickhead you are. Actually you seem to do that in almost every post you make.

Our police do not carry firearms, except for a special armed squad.

And when did this happen aftrer the gun ban or before the gun ban? I think the year was 2009. So if things are so great and no one has a gun why do bobbies that never carried a gubn now have to carry a gun?

Are you really telling me that you have concerns for what we do here? Somehow I can't see that.

No I was questioning the fact that you think the brits are to stupid to protect themself.

Secondly, your ignorance of events outside of your little parochial bubble shines through like a pork sausage in a mosque.

My ignorance? All I have done is state facts we have the right to keep and bear arms we have that right to protect all our rights against an overbearing government same as it was in 1775 and still the same today.

Last edited:
If ever there was a time when that nation needed a SUCCESSFUL Guy Fawkes.

Just because you don't agree with what I said, does that make me stupid. You are asking me to answer your question by repling with another reply that caused your buddy from England to leave this thread. Here in America we have the right to keep and bear arms to defend ourself from an overbearing government. WE had that right in 1776 and we still have that right today. Your buddy made a comment concerning automatic firearms as if every American had one or could get one. that was an incorrect assumption on his part. Not to many Americans own a automatic firearm

But to answer your question directly
"Why would we need guns to defend ourselves?"

I guess you don't need firearms to defend yourself since your bobbies started carring guns when they banned firearms in your country.
So when are they going to have an all out ban on knives in your country? I hear the murder rate with knives doubled sinced they banned firearms in your country

First of all he ain't my buddy. I don't know him from Adam. Right? Secondly, your ignorance of events outside of your little parochial bubble shines through like a pork sausage in a mosque. Our police do not carry firearms, except for a special armed squad. The ordinary police on the street are unarmed. The murder rate with knives is confined to gang type incidents and although regrettable, are a very small proportion of crimes. Concentrate on events you have some knowledge about and you'll not come across as stupid as you currently do.

Oh, and given that I'm not going to be attacked by anyone with a gun, why would I need a gun to defend myself? Are you really telling me that you have concerns for what we do here? Somehow I can't see that. Therefore your motive must be an attempt to ridicule in some way. Fine. Just keep demonstrating what a complete dickhead you are. Actually you seem to do that in almost every post you make.

And when did this happen aftrer the gun ban or before the gun ban? I think the year was 2009. So if things are so great and no one has a gun why do bobbies that never carried a gubn now have to carry a gun?

Are you really telling me that you have concerns for what we do here? Somehow I can't see that.

No I was questioning the fact that you think the brits are to stupid to protect themself.

Secondly, your ignorance of events outside of your little parochial bubble shines through like a pork sausage in a mosque.

My ignorance? All I have done is state facts we have the right to keep and bear arms we have that right to protect all our rights against an overbearing government same as it was in 1775 and still the same today.

No pal. You have stated that we must be stupid not to want the right to defend ourselves with firearms. Don't try to make out otherwise.

I tell you what mate. It's pretty damned obvious you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I don't intend to waste my time educating a halfwit. You can find the answer to any of your questions about gun laws in Britain on Google.

Oh, just one thing, carrying firearms in public has not been allowed for far longer than you seem to think. In fact the first laws reducing the carrying of such was in the 19th century.

No pal. You have stated that we must be stupid not to want the right to defend ourselves with firearms. Don't try to make out otherwise.

I tell you what mate. It's pretty damned obvious you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I don't intend to waste my time educating a halfwit. You can find the answer to any of your questions about gun laws in Britain on Google.

Oh, just one thing, carrying firearms in public has not been allowed for far longer than you seem to think. In fact the first laws reducing the carrying of such was in the 19th century.

No you implied it in this post you made I asked if that was what you were saying.
Guys, not for nothing, but I don't think UK people have anything like a Second Amendment right to bear arms. Ergo, they have never surrendered such a right.

Personally I think the US obsession with guns is bad for us, but wishing that away is like wishing we'd fill in that big gap in the Rockies.

Actually, the first real restriction on firearms ownership came in 1903 and they've gotten prgressively restrictive until they wound up where they are now. The people of the U.K. allowed their governemt to slowly take away their right to own certain firearms. Just about the only thing they can own si a rifle or shotgun for the sole purpose of hunting and GOD help the individual who uses it to protect home and hearth. Just ask Tony Martin... He was convicted of murder for defending himself.

And a good thing too!

Really? In what country are you refering to?

Last edited:
Gun bans are a great idea. Let's implement this right away. Confiscate all firearms, including the police, and let's see how that goes.

Forum List

Back