First the Guns, then the Knives, Now...

Guys, not for nothing, but I don't think UK people have anything like a Second Amendment right to bear arms. Ergo, they have never surrendered such a right.

Personally I think the US obsession with guns is bad for us, but wishing that away is like wishing we'd fill in that big gap in the Rockies.

Actually, the first real restriction on firearms ownership came in 1903 and they've gotten prgressively restrictive until they wound up where they are now. The people of the U.K. allowed their governemt to slowly take away their right to own certain firearms. Just about the only thing they can own si a rifle or shotgun for the sole purpose of hunting and GOD help the individual who uses it to protect home and hearth. Just ask Tony Martin... He was convicted of murder for defending himself.

And a good thing too!

What do you mean it's a good thing?

Actually, the first real restriction on firearms ownership came in 1903 and they've gotten prgressively restrictive until they wound up where they are now. The people of the U.K. allowed their governemt to slowly take away their right to own certain firearms. Just about the only thing they can own si a rifle or shotgun for the sole purpose of hunting and GOD help the individual who uses it to protect home and hearth. Just ask Tony Martin... He was convicted of murder for defending himself.

And a good thing too!

Why are you so concerned about what I think about my own country? Does it affect you in any way?

Why are you so concerned about what I think about my own country? Does it affect you in any way?

Are you saying that people in your country are to stupid to have the right to defend themself?

If you want to talk about countries outside of your own, you should at least demonstrate that you have a modicum of knowledge about the country in question. You clearly know fuck all about mine, except for snippets of half information you've read or heard somewhere. Why so concerned about us anyway?

Are you saying that people in your country are to stupid to have the right to defend themself?

If you want to talk about countries outside of your own, you should at least demonstrate that you have a modicum of knowledge about the country in question. You clearly know fuck all about mine, except for snippets of half information you've read or heard somewhere. Why so concerned about us anyway?

It doesn't take much knowledge of a country to ask a basic simple question
Do you think your people are too stupid to have the right to defend themself?

I doubt that my people are any more stupid than yours. Clearly you are more stupid than both.

I hope oldroxie doesn't hear about this, he'll want to follow UK's lead here in the US. :lol:

Dumb ass. I am probably a better shot than you are, and I own both rifles and handguns.

Only A dumb ass would assume they are better than someone they never met at anything :)

Hence his use of the word "probably".

Don't you just hate it when people like O.R. just won't fit into your media created characature of what you think liberals are like?

You presume (I suppose) he is fearful of guns, or something, and here he is telling you he's a gun owner and a damned good shot, too.

I doubt that my people are any more stupid than yours. Clearly you are more stupid than both.

tap dance. is that your stage name?
Do you think the people in your country are too stupid to be allowed the right to defend themself?

Americans may be stupid but at least we have the right to defend our self.

Glasses? Yes, there has been a call from a researcher in the U.K. to ban glasses and bottles in U.K. pubs and nightclubs.

Fresh call for alcohol glass ban

Alcohol should be served far more often in plastic glasses and bottles to reduce the injury toll from violent attacks, says a researcher.

Dr Alasdair Forsyth, from the Glasgow Centre for the Study of Violence, told a conference that the use of glass as a weapon could be eliminated.

He wants retailers to consider moving to plastic alongside bars and clubs.

A fellow expert said targeting city centres and late-night clubs and pubs should be the priority...

The precise number of violent attacks involving glass each year is unknown, although the crime surveys suggest it may run into six figures...

"It is much easier to eliminate glass used as a weapon than knives."

He said that his research showed younger people didn't mind using plastic bottles - but that the over-40s were resistant to the idea.

"They claim it keeps the drink cooler, which is absolute nonsense. It's just a matter of making plastic containers socially acceptable."

He said that certain designs of bottle - particularly screw-top bottles, caused particular problems.

As well as making it easier to drink alcohol in the street, the screw-top prevented the neck of the bottle from disintegrating when broken, forming a far more dangerous weapon in the hands of an attacker...

'Proportionate response'

Professor Jonathan Shepherd, from the Cardiff University Violence and Society Research Group, said that he favoured focusing on the worst "hotspots" for alcohol-related violence over a full ban on glass containers...

"I think that some selectivity and targeting is important - perhaps having no glass in 'alcohol disorder zones' in city centres."

The body which represents the alcoholic drinks industry said that a complete ban on glass would be unnecessary.

Jeremy Beadles, Chief Executive of the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, said: "While we recognise glassing injuries are a serious issue, what is needed is a proportionate response.

"A blanket ban on glass packaging for alcohol would affect shops, restaurants, pubs and consumers without helping to tackle the situations where problems occur...

BBC News - Fresh call for alcohol glass ban

For some reason, this really doesn't surprise me. Perhaps it's because they've all but eliminated gun ownership in the U.K., perhaps it's because there has been a push to ban certain kitchen knives, maybe it is because a woman was carded while trying to buy a pizza cutter.

It seems to that the British population has allowed, and continues to allow, their rights and freedoms to be systematically eroded. It has happened slowly, almost to the point of not realizing what they were doing, one piece at a time, one law at a time, the cummulative effect being a loss of certain freedoms. Why else would six men be arrested for burning the Qur'an?

The British people let it happen. They alone are to blame.

Pretty soon they'll outlaw teeth. That might not be a bad thing :lol:
Remember murka. They STILL own your ass. It's coming your way......soon enough.

tap dance. is that your stage name?
Do you think the people in your country are too stupid to be allowed the right to defend themself?

Americans may be stupid but at least we have the right to defend our self.

Why would we need guns to do that?

Most Americans don't seem to care all that much about British or Europeans opinions of us. For God's sake, they live under a damn monarchy. They can't own firearms. Their freedoms, especially speech, are being systematically curtailed every year. How are Americans to take them seriously?

Ah, dun mind bigrebnc, Colin. He'll study up on Global Politics just as soon as he masters the difference between "to" and "too".

Ah, dun mind bigrebnc, Colin. He'll study up on Global Politics just as soon as he masters the difference between "to" and "too".

Lol! Too right Madeline!

Forum List

Back