First post - Need help (big surprise?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mkobernus, Jul 27, 2010.

1. mkobernus

mkobernus Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I have no idea if this is where I want to post this, or indeed if this post is relevant for this forum at all.

Anyway, I am trying to do some geneology, and I am hitting a brick wall with a certain (possible) family member.

I am trying to find out more about an 8th Air Corp member in 1942 in the UK.

Does anyone know where the 8th were stationed? I guess someone knows that.

And is there a list of regimental members? Something online maybe?

I would really appreciate any help, since I am quite stumped at the moment.

Regards

//Mike

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Welcome Mike.

Is there no Veterans Administration in the UK?

3. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    There is.
    Queens past cannon fodder.uk

4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Unkind, Douger.

5. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    I'm doing the same thing with my grandfather who flew bombers in WWII and my great grandfather who was in the battle of Belleau Wood in WWI.

I have an account at Footnotes.com and it has been a big help to me. I also use my "Google-Fu" techniques as well. You would be surprised to learn how much is out there on the web just through normal internet searches.

Here is a link to the 8th AF:
    Eighth Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wikipedia is a good place to start but I wouldn't trust it as 100% accurate.

What did your family member do? Pilot? Aircrew member? Ground support? Besides the Major Command (8th AF) do you know the unit he was assigned to? Bomb Group? Squadron? Do you know his full name to include any middle names or aliases?

My grandfather was assigned to the 15th AF, 455th Bomb Group, 741st Squadron and flew B-24's out of San Giovani Italy. From there I was able to find reunion groups online who posted a wealth of info about their time in the war to include published books. You're lucky, military people are meticulous in the documentation of the activities of their unit of assignment, more so than any civilian. I've found a few previously unknown pics of my grandfather as a result.

Footnotes.com will give you access to Census data too. That was how I found the full name of my great grandfather and started to research his history.

What I don't recommend is signing up for Ancestry.com and making a post asking people if they know the name of your family member. That'll get you nowhere fast. I've actually run across posts by one of my deceased relatives asking that same question ten years ago but no one answered.

You really have to be your own "CSI Investigator" of sorts. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    source