First Political Awareness

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Change of pace for Politics Forum, really can't argue..

When was the first time you became aware of politics or government?

I was 9 years old, it was around 11:00 am, we were living in the Los Angeles area CA., I was at school, on 11/22/63 and President John F. Kennedy had just been shot. I recall teachers and kids were crying, there was a gloomy uneasiness in the the air, like the world was in group shock.

The school just sent us home, I recall riding my Schwinn banana seat bicycle home with people stopped in cars sobbing, people on the streets sobbing and again a strange gloom on a sunny day.

I got home to find my mother crying as she watched the news on our black & white television, Walter Kronkite.

Last edited:
1974, I was 9 years old and we were on vacation down Keansburg NJ, my father made me sit down and watch the tv as Nixon resigned, though I really wasnt interested at the time my father said it was an historic event so he made me watch and now I am glad he did.

It was a similar experience when Elvis died.

Strange thing I was not taught in church how bad those liberals are. Things have changed a bit.

Last edited:
1972...my father's second tour in Vietnam and no one could explain to me why he was going over there.

That must have been tough,

I was in high school and I recall the school pulling us out of class to protest the war. I also recall at the time it was still the lottery system and I was 21 on the list and required to go get a physical for the Army. My parents were debating with me to go live with relatives up in Canada. I did get the physical and was ready to go but they stopped the draft.

I'd have to go with the Kennedy assasination also. I was out on the school playground and they called us all back to our classroom to make the announcement. I was aware of JFK and his kids and family, but had not really followed the politics of the president.

I was 4, Kennedy-Nixon presidential race. My parents were die hard Kennedy backers, (Irish-Catholic), my best friends parents were for Nixon, (German-Lutheran/Presbyterians). we spent that summer fighting who'd win.

We'd swing, singing, "Stinky in your pants, lost your head, don't know what to do. Kennedy, Kennedy, he's our man, Nixon belongs in a garbage can!" Sometimes we'd reverse it, otherwise we couldn't be friends.

Our mom's made a bet, whoever 'lost' had to have luncheon. My friend's mother was 'too upset that the Pope would run the country to keep the bet. :lol:

A few years later, my parents were Republican and her's Democrats.

We had a confusing childhood. Interesting, but confusing.

I was on the 6th floor of a building in Dallas behind the barrel of a high-powered rifle when I noticed the cover of a Life magazine sitting on a box of books with the Astronauts of Apollo 12 on it and thought, "I wonder if there are any politicians on the moon?"

It was right after a particularly large bowel movement. I looked down and it reminded me of all the politicians I have ever heard.

It was right after a particularly large bowel movement. I looked down and it reminded me of all the politicians I have ever heard.

This threads in the toilet and needs a different kind of movement.. gads

Last edited:
I was probably seven or 8 when the first George Bush ran for president, we got to have a mock election in class. I told my dad I voted for Bush, probably because the girl next to me did, and he told me him and my mom voted for Dukakis. The first time I think I really cared was when Clinton won when I was 12, I remember listening to the radio on the way home from Job's Daughters when they annouced he won.

I was visiting a friend after school and his mom was listening to the radio about Dr. King being assassinated.

I didn't really care that much that year, I was just in 3rd grade. I couldn't quite figure why everyone was so tense and angry.

We had a mock election in 4th grade class the following fall. 34 kids in class voted 17 for Nixon and 17 for Humphrey.

Forum List

Back