First nutritional standards changes in 20 years

The Infidel

EVIL CONSERVATIVE
May 19, 2010
AMERITOPIA
Pentagon attacks obesity with new food choices

"Obama cited a recent army study that says more than one quarter of 17- to 24-year-olds are too overweight to serve in the military."

UPDATE 1-Pentagon attacks obesity with new food choices | Reuters

OK.... one question, maybe two.....

First: Why the Hell is Moochelle Obama targeting ACTIVE military personell with her sill obesity bullshit.
Seems to me the military is quite fit.... its the idiots who are trying to sign up that are too fat, not active soldiers. :cuckoo:

Second: What the Fuck does she know??? Is she a nutritionist now???

Bitch needs to check herself :eusa_hand:
9-2-10-good-butts-and-not-so-good-butt-at-white-house.jpg
michelledogass.jpg

Yep.... those fighting men and women are just way too fat :confused:

SoldiersFrontpage.jpg

us_army_girls_01.jpg

us-soldiers.jpg

People who are 'too overweight to serve in the military,' by definition, don't serve in the military.

Ergo that's not them in the pictures.

Glad I could help.

People who are 'too overweight to serve in the military,' by definition, don't serve in the military.

Ergo that's not them in the pictures.

Glad I could help.

Im curious.... did you bother to read the article?

I think that was my point.

Last edited:
This isn't at all going to go well. BMI is an absolutely destructive method of judging whether someone is overweight or obese. This insane couple is going to cause as much damage as they can before they are dragged from the white house. Muscular men and women cannot maintain themselves on what the government intends to feed them.

I don't know about Michelle but alot of recruits trying to join the Military fail the weight requirements, which is why Military recruiters have started an exercise program where they work out with their recruits and get them into shape so they can make weight, when I enlisted back in 2000 nothing like that existed, now it has to be because so many people are overweight.

While I generally dislike the First Lady sticking her nose into military business, I can't say that I'm too upset with this. As someone who has spent the better part of the last decade around the military, I can vouch for how terrible the menu in most Army dining facilities is. The menu's are loaded with fried food, while the stuff that isn't fried is usually fatty and containing little to no nutritional value.

It never made much sense to me, as a soldier who relies on his fitness level to complete the mission and stay alive, that I could eat healthier at a McDonald's than I could at an Army dining facility. That being said, a program which "will bring more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and food choices that are lower in fat" to the military is will do absolutely nothing to help all of those fat teenagers lose the weight they need to join. It's simply going to give fitness conscious soldiers a chance to eat healthier without having to go off base.

15 years ago the standards were changed. Millions of people went to bed normal weight and woke up clinicallly obese. A second total foolishness is the use of BMI to determine whether someone is obese or even overweight. BMI uses a height/weight formula and does not take into account body fat percentage. A 6 ft, 250 pound bodybuilder with 4% bodyfat has the same BMI as a 6ft, 250 pound couch potato with a beer belly. Men and women in the military who are fit and muscular will not be able to maintain themselves nutritionally with the new dietary standards. The new standards presupposes an ideal military who look like ballerinas. New recruits will not ONLY be required to lose fat, but muscle mass as well.

They won't do it! The fittest and strongest will not join such a military. A man, or women, that has spent years working out to build muslcle isn't going to let the government demand they lose it for the dubious privilige of risking their lives. Someone IN the military will not be able to become stronger, the new diet won't allow the building of that kind of muscle.

This is not going to work out at all well. This government is deliberately fashioning a military intentionally weak.

Then there is this. The government can propose anything it likes, and even children will throw it away.

LAUSD Students Roundly Reject Healthier School Lunch Menu « CBS Los Angeles

Now, the Times reports cartons of plain milk are being thrown away en masse, unopened, along with uneaten entrees. Participation in the school lunch program has dropped by thousands of students, who are ditching lunch and are suffering from hunger-related ailments.

The children who refuse to eat the crap are suffering from hunger related ailments. Well imagine that. It worked so well with children, let's do it to the military!

This isn't at all going to go well. BMI is an absolutely destructive method of judging whether someone is overweight or obese. This insane couple is going to cause as much damage as they can before they are dragged from the white house. Muscular men and women cannot maintain themselves on what the government intends to feed them.

If Im not mistaken, are'nt MRE's loaded with calories for a reason?

While I generally dislike the First Lady sticking her nose into military business, I can't say that I'm too upset with this. As someone who has spent the better part of the last decade around the military, I can vouch for how terrible the menu in most Army dining facilities is. The menu's are loaded with fried food, while the stuff that isn't fried is usually fatty and containing little to no nutritional value.

It never made much sense to me, as a soldier who relies on his fitness level to complete the mission and stay alive, that I could eat healthier at a McDonald's than I could at an Army dining facility. That being said, a program which "will bring more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and food choices that are lower in fat" to the military is will do absolutely nothing to help all of those fat teenagers lose the weight they need to join. It's simply going to give fitness conscious soldiers a chance to eat healthier without having to go off base.

All of what you say may actually be true... but why the heck does Moochelle know about nutrition?
I say the military should be tasked with feeding the soldiers the best food money can buy, but WTF does the 'First Lady' have to do with that?
Plus, what does any of the actual soldiers in the field have to do with 'potential' recruits?
Its not their fault alot of the folks trying to get in are 'overweight'.

Woman needs to get her own house in order

obamas-eating-junk-food.jpg

obama-eating-burger-fries5.jpg

The government must intend that our military go into battle on a diet of salad.

Hells bells, the enemy won't have to shoot, our forces will surrender for a kebab!

use of BMI to determine whether someone is obese or even overweight. BMI uses a height/weight formula and does not take into account body fat percentage.
The Army (I can't speak to the specifics of other services) does not judge its Soldiers solely on the NIH BMI ratio. If a soldier is over the recommended weight for his height on the BMI, he is simply sent to be "taped" for body fat. As one of these Solders who:
has spent years working out to build muslcle
I fell into this category the entire time I served. I would weigh in, and be sent over to the taping line. Once there I would be taped in 2 places, the neck and the abdomen. These measurements would be plugged into a calculation, along with my height to determine if I "passed" the body fat test. I can say with certainly that I never saw someone fail who deserved to pass. I certainly wasn't a 6'5" 250lb bodybuilder, but I am a 6' 215 lb athlete, and have never once come close to being "failed" on the body fat. I don't agree with the current height/weight standards the Army uses, but they are an annoyance, no more.

Your assertion that
fittest and strongest will not join such a military
is ill-informed and outright wrong. The Army, especially the the Combat Arms, is filled with these fittest and strongest. They actively encourage soldiers to be athletes. It is important that we recognize that term though, athletes, not bodybuilders. Infantryman, contrary to what the movies show you, do not look like Arnold.
You also seem to be making the assumption that soldiers will be given a tiny dish of rabbit food, and sent on their way, which couldn't be further from the truth. An Army dining facility allows one to choose as little or as much food as they desire. There are recommended portions, but you are not limited in what you take. This new plan simply gives soldiers more options, which are long overdue. I touched on this in my last post, but please let me reiterate that menus in the Army, up until now, have been loaded with fried, fatty, over processed, nutritionally lacking food. I don't know what sort of fit people you have been talking to, but I will take fresh vegetables as my side item over french fries any day.

I hate to tell you this, but unless you are some sort of genetic freak, pizza and coke for dinner every night will not get you to being either fit, or strong. It will, on the other hand, lead you to heart failure, and high cholesterol. As for the kids, they are getting fat in this country in case you haven't noticed. Maybe they should be drinking milk or even water (crazy, I know), instead of coke and gatorade with every meal.

why the heck does Moochelle know about nutrition
I couldn't possibly agree more. I'm just excited about the menu change, I don't want or need her to tell me how to be fit. I just want the army to provide our soldiers with the ability to eat healthy, as long as that happens, I don't care what the First Lady or the President do with their own health.

Hells bells, the enemy won't have to shoot, our forces will surrender for a kebab!

I was deployed twice and I was well fed on both tours, if anything its the enemy that lacks adequate food, those guys are fighting on handfuls of rice.

use of BMI to determine whether someone is obese or even overweight. BMI uses a height/weight formula and does not take into account body fat percentage.
The Army (I can't speak to the specifics of other services) does not judge its Soldiers solely on the NIH BMI ratio. If a soldier is over the recommended weight for his height on the BMI, he is simply sent to be "taped" for body fat. As one of these Solders who:
has spent years working out to build muslcle
I fell into this category the entire time I served. I would weigh in, and be sent over to the taping line. Once there I would be taped in 2 places, the neck and the abdomen. These measurements would be plugged into a calculation, along with my height to determine if I "passed" the body fat test. I can say with certainly that I never saw someone fail who deserved to pass. I certainly wasn't a 6'5" 250lb bodybuilder, but I am a 6' 215 lb athlete, and have never once come close to being "failed" on the body fat. I don't agree with the current height/weight standards the Army uses, but they are an annoyance, no more.

Your assertion that
fittest and strongest will not join such a military
is ill-informed and outright wrong. The Army, especially the the Combat Arms, is filled with these fittest and strongest. They actively encourage soldiers to be athletes. It is important that we recognize that term though, athletes, not bodybuilders. Infantryman, contrary to what the movies show you, do not look like Arnold.
You also seem to be making the assumption that soldiers will be given a tiny dish of rabbit food, and sent on their way, which couldn't be further from the truth. An Army dining facility allows one to choose as little or as much food as they desire. There are recommended portions, but you are not limited in what you take. This new plan simply gives soldiers more options, which are long overdue. I touched on this in my last post, but please let me reiterate that menus in the Army, up until now, have been loaded with fried, fatty, over processed, nutritionally lacking food. I don't know what sort of fit people you have been talking to, but I will take fresh vegetables as my side item over french fries any day.

I hate to tell you this, but unless you are some sort of genetic freak, pizza and coke for dinner every night will not get you to being either fit, or strong. It will, on the other hand, lead you to heart failure, and high cholesterol. As for the kids, they are getting fat in this country in case you haven't noticed. Maybe they should be drinking milk or even water (crazy, I know), instead of coke and gatorade with every meal.

Come back after Empress Fat Ass implements her new menu and let's discuss it. It will work like the new menus work in the schools. Which is why I posted the link.

The standards are based on BMI which is the wrong standard. A strong burly soldier is considered the same as a flabby couch potato swiling beer all day. That is what is where it goes wrong. BMI does not consider body fat percentage. To reach an optimum BMI military personnel will be required to lose weight. Not all that weight will be fat, in some it has to be muscle mass.

I was deployed twice and I was well fed on both tours, if anything its the enemy that lacks adequate food, those guys are fighting on handfuls of rice.

Aren't you lucky to have had your deployments before the Royal Couple dictates.

Aren't you lucky to have had your deployments before the Royal Couple dictates.

What menu are they going to put out?:confused:

I don't know they will publish a menu.

The changes in the LAUSD school menu has resulted in malnourished children, all we need is a malnourished military along with everything else they have to put up with.

It will work like the new menus work in the schools. Which is why I posted the link.
You are making an assumption based on a lack of fact. This is the text from the DoD release regarding this:
"The MHS obesity and nutrition awareness campaign will feature cooperative efforts with each of the armed services to achieve the following:

Update menu standards at military dining facilities for the first time in 20 years;
Assess the nutritional environment of military facilities;
Ensure healthier foods are available in dining facilities; Department of Defense schools, and other places where service members and their families purchase food on base, including vending machines and snack bars."

The key words you might want to take from that are "update" and "available". I would like to, once more, explain that as someone who has spent the better part of the last decade around the military in one form or another, the army dining facilities are desperately outdated, and woefully inadequate for the nutritional needs of a soldier. The addition of " fruits, vegetables, whole grains and food choices that are lower in fat" will be a welcome update for fitness conscious soldiers who don't like having to cook all of their own food, at their own expense.

The standards are based on BMI which is the wrong standard. A strong burly soldier is considered the same as a flabby couch potato swiling beer all day. That is what is where it goes wrong. BMI does not consider body fat percentage. To reach an optimum BMI military personnel will be required to lose weight. Not all that weight will be fat, in some it has to be muscle mass.
You are making a mountain out of a molehill here. The military has relied on the NIH's BMI for a long time, but only as a small factor in its assessment of soldiers. In the active army, once a month units conduct the Army Physical Fitness Test. This is a test to measure a soldiers strength and endurance. Immediately after taking the test, you go and get your height and weight measured. This height and weight is compared to the BMI chart. If you are found outside of the BMI standards, you are measured for body fat. It is only if you fail this body fat measurement that you are subjected to negative consequences. Likewise, if you fail the fitness test you will be subjected to negative consequences. Just being outside of the BMI does not, in any way, shape or manner result in negative consequences for the soldier. This is not my opinion, this is military doctrine. If you are curious to see for yourself, I am certain that you can find a copy of FM 600-9 (Army Weight Control Program) online.

What the idiots in the government don't realize is that a diet high in grains actually makes you fat.

all the first ladies have pretty universally accepted causes that they promote (literacy, physical fitness, nutrition, etc). not sure why so many people give Michelle grief about the one she picked. if a republican first lady picked the same thing, the partisans would flip flop. party first baby!!

Forum List

Back