First Muslim College Opens in CA

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A new college started classes this summer in Berkeley, California.

Zaytuna College's motto is, "Where Islam meets America." It's the first Muslim college in the United States.

The college emphasizes a rigorous general education in American history, anthropology, philosophy, literature, political science, but a major portion of its required curriculum is devoted to the study of Islam and the Koran.

"We want to manifest Islam in a way that's compatible with America," says Imam Zaid Shakir, who founded Zaytuna and is also a professor.

America's First Muslim College Opens This Fall | USA | English

This is their website. Help me out here. They say they offer course in Am. History, literature, etc. But when you click on "other majors" there are none. :confused:

ZAYTUNA COLLEGE | Academics > Major > Islamic Law and Theology

Building bridges or creeping sharia?

My point is this:

A visit to the campus reveals a pretty standard California college scene.

Students walk across a sunny courtyard into classrooms, pick seats next to friends. But on this campus, the women sit on opposite sides of the auditorium from the men, who are mostly heavily bearded, heads covered in skull caps. Only one woman's hair is visible. The rest wear modest Islamic scarves.

and this...

Zaytuna follows a historic tradition of religion-based American colleges.

"Harvard and Princeton and Yale. The universities founded here have been founded by religious denominations," says Dr. Michael Higgins, who studies the relationship between religion and higher education.

I'm pretty familiar with "religious based colleges" in the U.S and their course offerings.

Let's just call a duck a duck for once.

My point is this:

Students walk across a sunny courtyard into classrooms, pick seats next to friends. But on this campus, the women sit on opposite sides of the auditorium from the men, who are mostly heavily bearded, heads covered in skull caps. Only one woman's hair is visible. The rest wear modest Islamic scarves.
and this...

Zaytuna follows a historic tradition of religion-based American colleges.

"Harvard and Princeton and Yale. The universities founded here have been founded by religious denominations," says Dr. Michael Higgins, who studies the relationship between religion and higher education.
I'm pretty familiar with "religious based colleges" in the U.S and their course offerings.

I don't think that anyone is fooled into thinking that this is a real college. It is not accreditated. And your above examples should be expected based on the colleges mission statement...

Zaytuna College aims to educate and prepare morally committed professional, intellectual, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical issues shaping modern society.

So, you have not yet made your point of this thread...unless this thread is just an FYI.

No condolences necessary. The writer of the puff piece was fooled as well. Just like all those journalists who praised the DC imam prior to him being on the CIA hit list.

Muslims are very adept at fooling people. It's probably one of the course offerings at this Sharia law school.

No condolences necessary. The writer of the puff piece was fooled as well. Just like all those journalists who praised the DC imam prior to him being on the CIA hit list.

Muslims are very adept at fooling people. It's probably one of the course offerings at this Sharia law school.

I think that we should have people like you enroll in the school and take the classes to make sure that no terrorist activity is being promoted or taught.

Thank you for making my point Jillian.

Georgetown is a Catholic and Jesuit, student-centered research university.

Established in 1789 in the spirit of the new republic, the University was founded on the principle that serious and sustained discourse among people of different faiths, cultures, and beliefs promotes intellectual, ethical, and spiritual understanding. We embody this principle in the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff, our commitment to justice and the common good, our intellectual openness, and our international character.

University Mission Statement (Office of the President, Georgetown University)

Thank you for making my point Jillian.

Georgetown is a Catholic and Jesuit, student-centered research university.

Established in 1789 in the spirit of the new republic, the University was founded on the principle that serious and sustained discourse among people of different faiths, cultures, and beliefs promotes intellectual, ethical, and spiritual understanding. We embody this principle in the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff, our commitment to justice and the common good, our intellectual openness, and our international character.
University Mission Statement (Office of the President, Georgetown University)

And thank you for making my point, Chanel.

Everything called a college is not a college.

Sounds like the Islamic version of Bob Jones University.

BFD.

Actually, I looked up BJU. They have classes and majors other than bible-thumping.

I'd say it's more like Glenn Beck University...an organization with an agenda which uses the term "College" or "University" to give itself pseudo-credibility.

Sounds like the Islamic version of Bob Jones University.

BFD.

Actually, I looked up BJU. They have classes and majors other than bible-thumping.

I'd say it's more like Glenn Beck University...an organization with an agenda which uses the term "College" or "University" to give itself pseudo-credibility.
Good point. Fleecing suckers is an American tradition.

I'm going to open up a college.

Call it "Radioman's college for advanced beer studies and side-boobs"

HathSideBoobGo.jpg

But unlike this fake college, you won't get the free publicity on NPR, the Washington Times, and other "reputable news sources" Sounds like they were fooled as well.

Everything in Zaytuna's publicity history indicates that it is intended as a religious facility to train preachers and clerics in Hanson's fundamentalist brand of Islam rather than, as it is portrayed on NPR, as an "Islamic liberal arts college." Hanson had a long and ugly career as one of the most radical Muslim speakers in the U.S., which he abandoned after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Yet he still advertises his attachment to the Saudi-based cleric Sheikh Abdallah bin Bayyah, who was born in Mauritania in 1935 and is a member of the European Council for Fatwas and Research, headed by the notorious Egyptian-born and Qatar-based fundamentalist cleric Yusuf Al-Qaradawi. Al-Qaradawi, for his part, is distinguished by his fatwas in support of wife-beating and female genital mutilation, as well as Islamist radical positions in general.

American Thinker: 'Zaytuna College' and Its Continuing Media Circus

My point is this:

and this...

I don't think that anyone is fooled into thinking that this is a real college. It is not accreditated. And your above examples should be expected based on the colleges mission statement...

Zaytuna College aims to educate and prepare morally committed professional, intellectual, and spiritual leaders, who are grounded in the Islamic scholarly tradition and conversant with the cultural currents and critical issues shaping modern society.

So, you have not yet made your point of this thread...unless this thread is just an FYI.

Sounds like a Muslim Seminary....and what's wrong with that?

Forum List

Back