First Lawsuit Filed in CO Shooting Rampage

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
This lawsuit is nothing but frivolous. What I see is a douche bag and his parasitic lawyer exploiting a tragedy for money. Amazing how someone thinks they deserve monetary compensation for surviving. Your compensation was escaping with your life without a scratch, you little son of a bitch.

One of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose. One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died. Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.

Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him. Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

2. Holmes' doctors. Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors -- at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

First Lawsuit Over James Holmes Massacre | TMZ.com

Aside from the shooter himself, the theater would be responsible for security.

In any other place where thousands of people gather, events usually require some type of security, such as concerts, sport events, ect. Especially if the theater policy is to not allow people to conceal carry, its on them to provide protection.

The theater is a hell of a lot more responsible for allowing such an incident to happen than the 2nd amendment or gun manufacturers, that's for sure.

Great. So now movie tickets and popcorn prices will go up because some ambulance-chasing lawyer got a litigation hardon when he heard about the massacre on the news and theaters have to install metal detectors.

If he wins this lawsuit we might end up getting awkwardly groped for weapons by an employee when entering the theater. For "security" (liability) reasons.

Torrence Brown, the Afro bringing the suit, is attempting legal terrorism to make a buck.

I'm waiting for him to explain how the movie theater is racist. F-ing cold.

This lawsuit is nothing but frivolous. What I see is a douche bag and his parasitic lawyer exploiting a tragedy for money. Amazing how someone thinks they deserve monetary compensation for surviving. Your compensation was escaping with your life without a scratch, you little son of a bitch.

One of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose. One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died. Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.

Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him. Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

2. Holmes' doctors. Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors -- at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

I'm sure John Edwards or Gloria Alred will be more then happy to take on a new client and some free advertising.. :clap2:

1. Maybe, but it's a tough sell.

2. Definitely. Too many doctors medicate and don't monitor. This type of thing has effected my family personally.

3. Bullshit.

In any other place where thousands of people gather, events usually require some type of security, such as concerts, sport events, ect. Especially if the theater policy is to not allow people to conceal carry, its on them to provide protection.

The theater is a hell of a lot more responsible for allowing such an incident to happen than the 2nd amendment or gun manufacturers, that's for sure.

How big do you think that theater is?

I agree wholeheartedly. Particularly the idea that this guy is suing the movie maker is outrageous. He - and especially his lawyers - should receive very stiff fines for entering a completely frivolous lawsuit.

Maybe you're just stupid? Theater doors don't have alarms on exit doors because those exit doors are commonly used for people to exit. There's no negligence in a business not having an alarm on an exit. And, an alarm on the door wouldn't have made a difference.

1. Bullshit.

2. Bullshit.

3. Bullshit.

BTW, it's more than a coincidence that the first person to sue is a f-ing cold in a nearly all white theater.

I can agree with the movie theater being somewhat responsible for certain things. Alarmed fire doors, or someone to check to see if the kid with the overstuffed trenchcoat was sneaking shit in, even if it was cheap food so they did not have to buy concessions. Whether the kid snuck in using what should have been a secure alarmed door, or he walked by all the employees and people and was ignored, it seems someone dropped the ball. Still, I have yet to read a definitive statement as to how the kid actually got everything in so that is hard to say.

I have yet to hear anyone claim the kid was on any medication, or even that they found he was on any drugs at all. Though I agree there should be some much better regulation of the psychiatric drug market and the fuckwits called doctors thaty prescribe them, I doubt he has a case there at all.

The final point is really stupid , and no judge in their right mind is going to open up the entertainment industry to be responsible for the actions of their viewers.

In the end I suspect this guy is going to end up paying lots of money in legal expenses to some of the companies involved.

This bloke, even if he wins, his legal fees will mean he gets nothing.

Depends on how deep the pockets of the people they successfully sue Noomi.

Typically the lawyers get some percentage of the damages, and only if they win the case.

This bloke, even if he wins, his legal fees will mean he gets nothing.

Depends on how deep the pockets of the people they successfully sue Noomi.

Typically the lawyers get some percentage of the damages, and only if they win the case.

If he's suing the cinema, he won't get much. I imagine the cinema could always file for bankruptcy if the amount they are to pay out is too much, but then this would mean they would have to cease trading - at least, I think that's how it works.

Maybe you're just stupid? Theater doors don't have alarms on exit doors because those exit doors are commonly used for people to exit. There's no negligence in a business not having an alarm on an exit. And, an alarm on the door wouldn't have made a difference.

1. Bullshit.

2. Bullshit.

3. Bullshit.

BTW, it's more than a coincidence that the first person to sue is a f-ing cold in a nearly all white theater.

Maybe you're just wrong. The door that Holmes went out of was the Emergency Exit. I don't know the fire codes in Colorado, but a friend of mine manages a movie theater in Tennessee and I've been talking to her about that. Their Emergency Exit door has an automatic alarm that sounds if the door is opened. It's not a "commonly used" exit. It's not used at all except in an emergency.

That said, anybody filing a lawsuit against the theater should be doing so because they were actually harmed because of the theater's negligence, not because they got their widdle feewings hurt.

The truly sad part is that this guy and his lawyer will probably get some money out of it. The theater will settle for some amount because it will be cheaper to do that than to fight the lawsuit.

Forum List

Back