Johnson First Intro of Johnson/Weld to the public by CNN..

Johnson within all drugs in the U.S. or will them away by law?!

It's the states that are deciding on marijuana. Now 8 or 10 states that have legalized or decriminalize weed.
But the FEDERAL govt -- still wants to enforce the FEDERAL law.

So Johnson would probably have the Feds back off in the states that have decided to allow it. But make NO Federal decisions beyond that on marijuana.

flacaltenn Do you support him??

I have not really seen anything so far about him that has my interest. Plus I am conservative on many social issues, and Libertarians are not - - at least to my knowledge.

Plus it bothers me that he is an admitted pothead.
smoking weed and being someone like a drug pusher are two different things entirely.I have friends that smoke pot but they are are good people so that part means nothing to me.Doesnt make them a bad person cause they did that at one time.

Johnson believes in the constitution and has similiar views same as ron paul.In a PERFECT world,the two finalists for POTUS in the last election would have been paul vs johnson.

I can only dream though of that. I would take Johnson over trump because i KNOW he believes in the constitution and honering it,something no president since reagan has.

Trump we dont really know if he believes in it or not.

I never said he was a drug pusher, so please do not try and hang that on me. In my mind he must smoke a good bit, and not just for medical reasons since HE was the one that came out and said he would not smoke it if he became President. So, does that mean that if he were elected, that all of a sudden he would not need it for medical reasons?

In my life I have smoked plenty of pot. I DO know the effects it has on a person first hand.
How do you compare the effects of pot use with the effects of booze. As far as I know, Trump is the only candidate that doesn't drink ( or smoke). Is getting high an worse than getting buzzed or drunk?

I don't drink or do drugs, so I don't have first hand experience with either.

P.S. Does Johnson claim to use pot for real medical reasons?

In my experience -- the largest damage from pot can be seen from afar. It's a SOCIAL retardant. (no offense anyone :laugh: in particular) It tends to be a clique thing where the whole fabric of the relationships revolves around "getting stoned". I SUPPOSE that's no different than alcohol being a social anchor..

I don't LIKE weed a lot. I like to be sober. And it might come as a surprise --- But you can actually HATE stuff that other people do and STILL work to protect their liberty to do it.. It's called tolerance.. And it's not mentioned much anymore in society...

Marijuana and drugs are actually rating pretty low on the issues that are most important to me. I am more interested in foreign policy (and I agree with Gary Johnson there), also our national debt, immigration reform, and things of that nature.

From my link above. The only thing I might disagree on here is cutting entitlements and defense. I feel that both of those are kind of important (there's my liberal and conservative sides coming out! :lol:)

Click here for other candidates on Budget & Economy OR background on Budget & Economy.
  • National debt, approaching $20 trillion, is bankrupting us. (Jan 2016)
  • National debt of $20 trillion is obscene & unsustainable. (Jan 2016)
  • Lay out a process for state bankruptcies. (Aug 2012)
  • No bank bailout; no farm subsidies; no stimulus. (May 2012)
  • Cut federal budget by 43% to bring it into balance. (Feb 2012)
  • Trillion-dollar stimulus failed; so will another $450B? (Sep 2011)
  • We could have avoided default without raising debt ceiling. (Aug 2011)
  • Ending the fed OK, but that's only part of the solution. (Aug 2011)
  • Stop incurring more debt; balanced budget by 2013. (Jul 2011)
  • Our debt is greatest threat to our national security. (Jul 2011)
  • Opposed TARP, stimulus & Fannie Mae bailout. (Jul 2011)
  • End the Fed; they've devalued the dollar by printing money. (May 2011)
  • On verge of financial collapse unless we balance budget. (May 2011)
  • Balance budget by cutting entitlements AND Defense. (Apr 2011)
  • Uphold commitments to states before other spending. (Sep 2001)

As far as the issues below, I agree with Gary and I have no problem with gay marriage, but I don't think of gay marriage as a very important issue personally, so even if I don't agree with a candidate on that particular issue, it is one I can overlook.

Click here for other candidates on Civil Rights OR background on Civil Rights.
  • Supports separation of religion and state. (Aug 2011)
  • Prostitution is safer when legal and regulated. (Jun 2011)
  • I support gay unions; government out of marriage business. (Apr 2011)
  • Support principles embodied in the Equal Rights Amendment. (Feb 2001)
  • Overturn CA Prop. 8: Let gays marry. (Apr 2013)

And here is one place where I might strongly disagree with Mr. Johnson. I do not want a corporotacracy. I want corporations to pay taxes. It's the least they can do, and also they should provide their employees with a living wage so that we taxpayers don't have to pick up the slack!

Click here for other candidates on Corporations OR background on Corporations.
  • Eliminate double taxation embodied in business income taxes. (Jan 2016)
  • Built Big J Enterprises into leading construction company. (Aug 2012)
  • Visited Occupy Wall Street; we need radical surgery. (Feb 2012)
  • Started a one-man handyman business; grew it to 1,000 people. (Sep 2011)
  • Eliminate corporate income tax as real way to create jobs. (Jun 2011)
  • Lower the tax burden; eliminate corporate tax. (May 2011)

He's flip flopped a bit with the DP, but that is a tough issue. I personally am anti DP. Other than that, I agree with his stances on this topic, though I find the "zero tolerance for violence against government employees" to be a bit questionable??? How about zero tolerance for violence against anyone? :)

Click here for other candidates on Crime OR background on Crime.
  • Too many unnecessary laws leads to too many in prison. (Jan 2016)
  • Vetoed early release of prisoners due to overcrowding. (Aug 2012)
  • Vetoed hate crime legislation as thought-crime. (Aug 2012)
  • Built private prisons to replace out-of-state prisoners. (Aug 2012)
  • Private prisons cost $20 less/day than public control. (Aug 2012)
  • DNA evidence shows many people are mistakenly convicted. (Aug 2012)
  • 1994: Proponent of death penalty, but willing to debate it. (Jan 2012)
  • Death penalty as a public policy is flawed. (Jan 2012)
  • Don't risk putting innocent to death. (Aug 2011)
  • Half of crime is drug-related; legalizing drugs cuts crime. (Jan 2001)
  • Supports flexible federal block grants for crime programs. (Sep 2001)
  • Zero tolerance for violence against government employees. (Aug 2001)

I like MOST of his stances on the issues. The most of any candidate. I hope Hillary and Trump destroy each other and Gary Johnson has a chance in hell of winning. :D

Gary Johnson on the Issues
He has a chance if enough voting Americans stop writing off the Libertarian party as a wasted vote whIle holding their noses to vote D or R. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I like MOST of his stances on the issues. The most of any candidate. I hope Hillary and Trump destroy each other and Gary Johnson has a chance in hell of winning. :D

He has a chance if enough voting Americans stop writing off the Libertarian party as a wasted vote whIle holding their noses to vote D or R. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Hillary is more likely to implode and that is the danger for the LP elections like this one where the majority despise both majors are rare.

I actually disagree with a lot of these stances here. Not happy at all about this.

Click here for other candidates on Immigration OR background on Immigration.
  • Bigger border fence will only produce taller ladders. (Jan 2016)
  • Arizona anti-immigrant law leads to racial profiling. (Aug 2012)
  • A 10-foot wall just requires an 11-foot ladder. (Aug 2012)
  • 2 year grace period for illegals to get work visas. (Nov 2011)
  • 1 strike & you're out for legal immigrants who violate terms. (Nov 2011)
  • Let some, but not all, illegal immigrants stay in US. (Nov 2011)
  • We educate the world's best & brightest; why send them back? (Jun 2011)
  • Open the border; flood of Mexicans would become taxpayers. (Jan 2001)
  • Mexican immigrants are pursuing same dreams we all have. (Jan 2001)
  • Share costs of legal immigration between states & federal. (Feb 2001)
  • Federal government should deal with criminal repatriation. (Feb 2001)

Hillary is more likely to implode and that is the danger for the LP elections like this one where the majority despise both majors are rare.

Hillary or Trump. Which one will implode first? Maybe they will both implode at the same time! :D

And here is one place where I might strongly disagree with Mr. Johnson. I do not want a corporotacracy. I want corporations to pay taxes. It's the least they can do, and also they should provide their employees with a living wage so that we taxpayers don't have to pick up the slack!

The crux of crony capitalism are the tax subsidies and loans for stuff that ALREADY EXISTS in the marketplace. There's no way this would end under Rep/Dem control.. But this has ALWAYS been part of the plan. You cut off the feeding trough and the paybacks to politicians and you get your govt back. Agree with Bernie here 100%.

So when you see TAX CUTS to corporations -- realize that right now GE pays virtually NO taxes because of all the welfare they receive for selling "energy star" dishwashers, washing machines, train and jet engines. End THAT and you can reduce the ACTUAL tax bracket and STILL get more in taxes..

The crux of crony capitalism are the tax subsidies and loans for stuff that ALREADY EXISTS in the marketplace. There's no way this would end under Rep/Dem control.. But this has ALWAYS been part of the plan. You cut off the feeding trough and the paybacks to politicians and you get your govt back. Agree with Bernie here 100%.

So when you see TAX CUTS to corporations -- realize that right now GE pays virtually NO taxes because of all the welfare they receive for selling "energy star" dishwashers, washing machines, train and jet engines. End THAT and you can reduce the ACTUAL tax bracket and STILL get more in taxes..

And how do you feel about Gary Johnson's immigration stances?

I actually disagree with a lot of these stances here. Not happy at all about this.

I disagree also with many of the above. This is Trump's niche area. We have a right to say who gets to come into the country and to enforce laws to make it so. I am not necessarily for or against a wall/fence, but I am against rewarding those that are here illegally.

I disagree also with many of the above. This is Trump's niche area. We have a right to say who gets to come into the country and to in force laws to make it so. I am not necessarily for or against a wall/fence, but I am against rewarding those that are here illegally.

I agree. This is the ONE area where I clash with libertarians in a lot of instances.

It's realistic to recognize the Mex. immigrant families are not gonna remain "unskilled" labor. Their children are already Americans for the most part and planning on being professionals -- not yard workers or janitors.. So deporting Granny and Pappa or a 40 something mom and dad is not a high priority. The "triage" should be to empty the jails of illegals and sent THEM back first. And a ONE STRIKE plan for serious offenses would be awfully refreshing.. Cali is OVERFLOWING their prisons with illegal alien criminals and STILL operates "sanctuary cities". That's insane and hypocritical.

All those "earlier" statements don't have the 10 year perspective on the "newer type" of immigrant that even the older illegals don't appreciate coming over the border -- so I think Johnson as governor saw a different problem back in 2000 in New Mexico than we have now.

Plans will become more specific in the next couple months. And I HOPE he goes back down to the border in N.Mex to get a fresh view of the problem..

We DO abide by the Constitution and the legal system. And there is a clear Federal Duty to control the borders. So I don't think "open borders" really means what people fear it means. Because America has virtually SHUT it's borders in the past. And we should be generous -- but NOT suicidal about it..

It's realistic to recognize the Mex. immigrant families are not gonna remain "unskilled" labor. Their children are already Americans for the most part and planning on being professionals -- not yard workers or janitors.. So deporting Granny and Pappa or a 40 something mom and dad is not a high priority. The "triage" should be to empty the jails of illegals and sent THEM back first. And a ONE STRIKE plan for serious offenses would be awfully refreshing.. Cali is OVERFLOWING their prisons with illegal alien criminals and STILL operates "sanctuary cities". That's insane and hypocritical.

All those "earlier" statements don't have the 10 year perspective on the "newer type" of immigrant that even the older illegals don't appreciate coming over the border -- so I think Johnson as governor saw a different problem back in 2000 in New Mexico than we have now.

Plans will become more specific in the next couple months. And I HOPE he goes back down to the border in N.Mex to get a fresh view of the problem..

We DO abide by the Constitution and the legal system. And there is a clear Federal Duty to control the borders. So I don't think "open borders" really means what people fear it means. Because America has virtually SHUT it's borders in the past. And we should be generous -- but NOT suicidal about it..

Well, I agree with you for the most part. I do not like the words "open border" at all. :) Total turn off for me.

flacaltenn, are there any stances of Gary Johnson's that you DISAGREE with? :) If so, I would be interested in hearing about them.

He's a politician. But a politician that actually has a commitment to certain principles. So I wake up every morning in a bit of a panic attack and pray that nothing embarrassing happens today. It's not a SERIOUS panic. Not like the one a Hilliary or Trump supporter experiences -- but I'm volunteering hundreds of hours in the next couple months to write position statements, campaign, and correct all the FUNDAMENTAL misunderstandings about the Lib Party. And I don't want that effort to go for nothing because a candidate doesn't clearly separate the "ideal" philosophical view --- from the pragmatic view of actually governing from where we are right now.

We don't WANT to talk about marijuana, but that's always the 1st thing that comes up. It's a bit embarrassing because we have to OWN UP to working for decades for Drug War reform.

We are clearly not supporting the anger and hate involved in the current immigration debate. And that it is a MOTIVATIONAL problem with voters. Both in Cali and Tenn -- I've seen Mex immigrant communities take completely ROTTEN parts of town and revitalize them. They did not LIKE to live in squalor or disorder. They are God-fearing, family oriented people. We need to work from the top down. Stopping the warehousing of unescorted children that were Politically encouraged to crash the border by rash statements from politicians. Statements that Libertarians would NEVER had made. Because we want CONTRIBUTING immigration, not parent-less children who are long welfare recipients.

My biggest issue with Johnson is on the military "redirection".. Libertarians will defend this country against any clear threats from abroad. We just are not keen on bombing 3 to 5 countries every year. That's insane. So while I applaud the restraint in NOT trying to export "democracy" to the Mid East, and getting our defense partners to pony up their share -- I would NOT like to see our closing of bases and constraining our projection of force around the world should it be required. I think a stronger Homeland defense force would be good insurance should terrorists get a hold of capability in the Cyber or Nuclear or Biological arena. I'd trade carpet bombing Syria for THAT any day..

Forum List

Back