First House Democrat calls on John Conyers to resign

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Time for this Dinosaur to go.

Two other Democrats said the veteran Michigan lawmaker should step down from his post as ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee.

multiple sexual harassment allegations, while two other Democrats urged him to step down from his ranking member slot on the House Judiciary Committee.

Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) said Conyers should resign from Congress immediately, making her the first Democratic lawmaker to publicly call for the end of his decades-long tenure.

First House Democrat calls on Conyers to resign

Conyers steps aside from top spot on House Judiciary Committee

Amid a congressional investigation into sexual harassment allegations againstMichigan Rep. John Conyers, the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee says he will step aside from that role.

"After careful consideration and in light of the attention drawn by recent allegations made against me, I have notified the Democratic Leader of my request to step aside as Ranking Member of the House Judiciary Committee during the investigation of these matters," Conyers said in a statement Sunday.

"To be clear, I would like very much to remain as Ranking Member," he added.

Conyers said there is "still much work to be done" in "the face of an Administration that cares little for the rule of law and a President whose actions and conduct cheapens our discourse every day" -- a jab at the Trump White House.

Conyers steps aside from top spot on House Judiciary Committee

He's toast.

Growing pressure on Conyers to resign after new accusations

DETROIT (AP) — Pressure grew from fellow Democrats for Michigan Rep. John Conyers to resign after a former staffer said the longest-serving member of the House made unwanted sexual advances that included partially undressing in front of her in a hotel room and inappropriate touching.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi pressured the 88-year-old Conyers behind the scenes to leave the chamber, said a senior House aide, who spoke late Tuesday on condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.

Earlier in the day, members of the Congressional Black Caucus met with Conyers and explained to one of their founding members why he should resign, but stressed the decision was up to him, the senior House aide said.

Growing pressure on Conyers to resign after new accusations

Conyers’ wife accused the media of stalking black people. And people wonder why the black community is in the shape it is in. Take responsibility for once in your life and quit playing the blame game.

Forum List

Back