First Graders Suspended for Playing Cops & Robbers!!!!

We are so politically correct these days we are unwilling to allow kids to have a bit of fun, it would seem.

We are so politically correct these days we are unwilling to allow kids to have a bit of fun, it would seem.

The problem isn't as much about political correctness as we might be tempted to initially feel. The father understands that it's fine to intervene if kids are engaging in "gun play" so long as the response is not overblown. It would have been simple enough for the teacher to take a moment of her time and briefly explain to the boys why that game wasn't a good idea for school. It takes a moment, positive impact is made on children, voila! That's what teaching is supposed to be all about, right?

Instead, the school can't be arsed to actually deal with children being children. By punishing these boys for nothing more than being children, the school sends a horrible message. And it's especially harsh since Steve is in the Army. His son knows what Steve's job is (as much as a six year old can). So the kid is left with these messages:

being me = bad
playing = bad
guns = bad
daddy = bad

And nobody in the school is willing to even bother to explain in the first place what was so "wrong" with it all.

I've done alot of work over the years with the YMCA working with kids, being a summer camp counselor, things like that. There've been plenty of times when we've had kids running around using their hands to make fake gun signs. It's really easy to simply tell them that that game is against the rules at the Y because other kids might be upset by it. I've NEVER had a kid give me a hard time about it. But once or twice it led to some good conversation and game them the chance to learn something.

I remember in grade school we used to play this game called stab.
Dang we'd be put in jail

A kid for a 4H project made a rifle and brought it to school. Nobody thought a thing about it.

Yep...those were the days.
Everyone carried a pocket knife,shotguns in window racks in the parking lot at school.
And I dont recall a single stabbing or shooting.
And I played cops and robbers.......it's amazing that I haven't gone on a killing spree.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back