First-ever heart transplant from gene-edited pig offers hope for thousands in need of organs

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
It will be interesting to follow this case.

A Maryland man has lived for three days with a pig heart beating inside his chest.

The surgery, at the University of Maryland Medical Center, marks the first time a gene-edited pig has been used as an organ donor.

Dave Bennett, 57, agreed to be the first to risk the experimental surgery, hoping it would give him a shot at making it home to his Maryland duplex and his beloved dog, Lucky.

“This is nothing short of a miracle,” his son David said Sunday, two days after his father's life-extending surgery. “That’s what my dad needed, and that’s what I feel like he got.”

Bartley Griffith, left, was the lead surgeon for Dave Bennett, who received a pig heart.

In the nine-hour surgery, doctors replaced his heart with one from a 1-year-old, 240-pound pig gene-edited and bred specifically for this purpose.

A Maryland man has lived for three days with a pig heart beating inside his chest.
The surgery, at the University of Maryland Medical Center, marks the first time a gene-edited pig has been used as an organ donor.
Dave Bennett, 57, agreed to be the first to risk the experimental surgery, hoping it would give him a shot at making it home to his Maryland duplex and his beloved dog, Lucky.
“This is nothing short of a miracle,” his son David said Sunday, two days after his father's life-extending surgery. “That’s what my dad needed, and that’s what I feel like he got.”
Bartley Griffith, left, was the lead surgeon for Dave Bennett, who received a pig heart.
In the nine-hour surgery, doctors replaced his heart with one from a 1-year-old, 240-pound pig gene-edited and bred specifically for this purpose.

Hey, if the only side affects are growing a snout, ears, curly tail and developing a "healthy" appetite I say go for it!!!

Just kidding....... :)

Amazing. I guess the organs of animals are no different compared to what we humans are born with.

God bless you and the man always!!!

Holly

Amazing how science is progressing. The one thing I see is PETA is going to go absolutely apeshit over this.

Forum List

Back