First Electoral Test Of GOP Budget

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
The special election to fill a House seat in upstate New York was supposed to be an easy victory for Republicans.

But less than two weeks before the May 24 vote, polls show a competitive contest between Republican Jane Corwin, 47, and Democrat Kathy Hochul, 52, in what's become the first electoral test of GOP budget policies. The race also has drawn an avalanche of spending by interest groups, as well as both national parties.

"This is going to be a referendum on the Republican plan to end Medicare as we know it," Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y

GOP budget, Medicare plan influence NY House race - Yahoo! News

Keep your hands off my government cheese!!!!

government-cheese.jpg

Balancing a budget isn't a popularity contest.

There's the problem, too many people think it is.

Welcome to reality...they want to get re-elected and they aren't going to if their policies are unpopular.

Taxing the rich and cutting defense IS popular and will balance the budget as well.

Know what would make Medicare stronger? (and it isn't vouchers)

Make Medicare the public option. (that was popular too as I recall...the public option)

I see my first post went over your head as well.

Balancing the budget isn't a popularity contest.

Maybe it will sink in this time.

Heres your problem.

This is a democracy.

You dont get to deside what is best for "the people".

They do.

Now quit lying to "the people" about the facts and they will make better desisions.

Heres your problem.

This is a democracy.

You dont get to deside what is best for "the people".

They do.

Now quit lying to "the people" about the facts and they will make better desisions.

I'm not making the decisions. I'm simply stating facts.

Glad to inform you of this as well :thup:

I see my first post went over your head as well.

Balancing the budget isn't a popularity contest.

Maybe it will sink in this time.

And maybe you missed that, yeah it is. It is "popularity" that will get a legislator elected or re-elected.

No.

Then it is not truly balancing the budget.

It's buying votes/

How is it "buying votes" for legislators to do what their constituents want? The constituents aren't paying them to do what they want, they are voting for the them or not. Isn't that what our form of democracy is; of the people, by the people, etc?

Buying votes is what citizens united was about, not constituents telling their representative that if they vote for this shit, they will lose their jobs.

And maybe you missed that, yeah it is. It is "popularity" that will get a legislator elected or re-elected.

No.

It's buying votes/

How is it "buying votes" for legislators to do what their constituents want? The constituents aren't paying them to do what they want, they are voting for the them or not. Isn't that what our form of democracy is; of the people, by the people, etc?

Buying votes is what citizens united was about, not constituents telling their representative that if they vote for this shit, they will lose their jobs.

It's buying votes to do things in order to get elected, rather than what may be right. IOW: A popularity contest.

Not surprised you are having problems with this concept.

No.

It's buying votes/

It's buying votes to do things in order to get elected, rather than what may be right. IOW: A popularity contest.

And I'm telling you that there are ways to balance the budget and still remain popular with the American people that elected you to be there. It's called a "win-win".

Corporations buy votes, not people electing a person to represent them.

Dems need to run on annual deficits so big that they can only be expressed in scientific notation

And I'm telling you that there are ways to balance the budget and still remain popular with the American people that elected you to be there. It's called a "win-win".

You keep deflecting about corporations. Why is that? I don't care about them.

And no, there is no way to balance the budget and keep the vast majority happy. It's all fake vote buying.

You keep deflecting about corporations. Why is that? I don't care about them.

And no, there is no way to balance the budget and keep the vast majority happy. It's all fake vote buying.

And I think there is. End the wars, end the Bush tax cuts for the upper 2%, end subsidies for all companies making a profit and make Medicare the public option. Done.

Oh, but we can't because corporations are buying our legislators, not the voters that voted for them. (see how I did that? :lol:)

Forum List

Back