First Day in Heaven

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Jesus3.jpg

All of us who have accepted Christ as our Savior will have this look.

This Friday the movie of the story behind the song opens in theaters.

I thought Christian doctrine is that God elects so it doesn't matter what we do?

That's like thinking every artist's favorite color is blue. Many Christian denominations renounce that (mis)interpretation.

Another way of thinking of it is what if on your first day in heaven you embrace God's love and mercy. Knowing what is--and what is in store--would you have done anything differently, lived differently?

View attachment 182521
I thought Christian doctrine is that God elects so it doesn't matter what we do?
You thought wrong.
I'm not the only one apparently:

The ninth chapter of Romans also reiterates the elective purposes of God. There, in reference to His saving love for Jacob (and Jacob’s descendants) as opposed to Esau (and Esau’s lineage), God’s electing prerogative is clearly displayed. God chose Jacob over Esau, not on the basis of anything Jacob or Esau had done, but according to His own free and uninfluenced sovereign purpose. To those who might protest, “That is unfair!” Paul simply responds by asking, “Who are you, O man, who answers back to God?” (v. 20).

Many more Scriptures could be added to this survey. Yet as straightforward as the Word of God is, people continually have difficulty accepting the doctrine of election. The reason, again, is that they allow their preconceived notions of how God should act (based on a human definition of fairness) to override the truth of His sovereignty as laid out in the Scriptures.

Frankly, the only reason to believe in election is because it is found explicitly in God’s Word. No man and no committee of men originated this doctrine. It is like the doctrine of eternal punishment, in that it conflicts with the dictates of the carnal mind. It is repugnant to the sentiments of the unregenerate heart. And like the doctrine of the Holy Trinity and the miraculous birth of our Savior, the truth of election, because it has been revealed by God, must be embraced with simple and unquestioning faith. If you have a Bible and you believe it, you have no other option but to accept what it teaches.​

View attachment 182521
You thought wrong.
I'm not the only one apparently:

The ninth chapter of Romans also reiterates the elective purposes of God. There, in reference to His saving love for Jacob (and Jacob’s descendants) as opposed to Esau (and Esau’s lineage), God’s electing prerogative is clearly displayed. God chose Jacob over Esau, not on the basis of anything Jacob or Esau had done, but according to His own free and uninfluenced sovereign purpose. To those who might protest, “That is unfair!” Paul simply responds by asking, “Who are you, O man, who answers back to God?” (v. 20).

Many more Scriptures could be added to this survey. Yet as straightforward as the Word of God is, people continually have difficulty accepting the doctrine of election. The reason, again, is that they allow their preconceived notions of how God should act (based on a human definition of fairness) to override the truth of His sovereignty as laid out in the Scriptures.

Frankly, the only reason to believe in election is because it is found explicitly in God’s Word. No man and no committee of men originated this doctrine. It is like the doctrine of eternal punishment, in that it conflicts with the dictates of the carnal mind. It is repugnant to the sentiments of the unregenerate heart. And like the doctrine of the Holy Trinity and the miraculous birth of our Savior, the truth of election, because it has been revealed by God, must be embraced with simple and unquestioning faith. If you have a Bible and you believe it, you have no other option but to accept what it teaches.​
Let's cut to the chase.
How do you know you are not preselected?
You don't.
So we are back to free will.
You choose to accept Jesus or you choose to not to.
Your choice.

That's like thinking every artist's favorite color is blue. Many Christian denominations renounce that (mis)interpretation.

Another way of thinking of it is what if on your first day in heaven you embrace God's love and mercy. Knowing what is--and what is in store--would you have done anything differently, lived differently?
If I woke up in heaven I certainly wouldn't want to have lived differently. I think it equally probable I find myself in hell and learn that it didn't matter what I did in life since God had never given me a chance at grace. If that should be the case I like to think I wouldn't have wanted to do anything differently. How about you.

As for Christian doctrine:
St. Augustine of Hippo (A.D. 354 - 430) was an Algerian-Roman philosopher and theologian of the late Roman / early Medieval period. He is one of the most important early figures in the development of Western Christianity, and was a major figure in bringing Christianity to dominance in the previously pagan Roman Empire. He is often considered the father of orthodox theology. He developed doctrines of predestination (the divine foreordaining of all that will ever happen) and efficacious grace (the idea that God's salvation is granted to a fixed number of those whom He has already determined to save).​

Let's cut to the chase.
You don't.
Your choice.
If I'm 'preselected' I can choose to accept Jesus or not to and still wind up in heaven. If I'm NOT 'preselected' I can choose to accept Jesus or not to and still wind up in hell. I have free will either way but in the end it is irrelevant to my fate.

Let's cut to the chase.
You don't.
Your choice.
If I'm 'preselected' I can choose to accept Jesus or not to and still wind up in heaven. If I'm NOT 'preselected' I can choose to accept Jesus or not to and still wind up in hell. I have free will either way but in the end it is irrelevant to my fate.
Sure, rejecting Christ is the center of the Christian faith for salvation. :cuckoo:

If I woke up in heaven I certainly wouldn't want to have lived differently. I think it equally probable I find myself in hell and learn that it didn't matter what I did in life since God had never given me a chance at grace. If that should be the case I like to think I wouldn't have wanted to do anything differently. How about you.

As for Christian doctrine:
St. Augustine of Hippo (A.D. 354 - 430) was an Algerian-Roman philosopher and theologian of the late Roman / early Medieval period. He is one of the most important early figures in the development of Western Christianity, and was a major figure in bringing Christianity to dominance in the previously pagan Roman Empire. He is often considered the father of orthodox theology. He developed doctrines of predestination (the divine foreordaining of all that will ever happen) and efficacious grace (the idea that God's salvation is granted to a fixed number of those whom He has already determined to save).​

Is it possible people overthink theology? In many ways the Bible is, essentially, a self-help book for life here on earth. Love God, love one's fellowman, and the rest is just details. Knowing God loves us, is it possible to love God even more than we do right now? Knowing the love people do have for us, is it possible for us to love them better?

Is accepting Christ enough for salvation? Is everyone who accepts Christ bound for heaven regardless of their religion?

How are you defining "salvation"? If salvation is thought of in terms of the afterlife, then a lot is missed. While Catholics use the term 'salvation', just as often we hear about redemption--living a redeemed life. We don't "accept" Christ. We are disciples of Christ following the Way of Redemption/Salvation in this life. We incorporate what we taught, how he acted, into our own individual lives today. "Accepting" Christ without incorporating Christ bemuses me. What is the point?

Is it possible people overthink theology? In many ways the Bible is, essentially, a self-help book for life here on earth. Love God, love one's fellowman, and the rest is just details. Knowing God loves us, is it possible to love God even more than we do right now? Knowing the love people do have for us, is it possible for us to love them better?
Maybe it is best not to think about theology at all? How about: Love one's fellowman, and the rest is just details. Knowing the love people do have for us, is it possible for us to love them better?

I think the results, at least in this life, would be the same.

Is accepting Christ enough for salvation? Is everyone who accepts Christ bound for heaven regardless of their religion?

How are you defining "salvation"? If salvation is thought of in terms of the afterlife, then a lot is missed. While Catholics use the term 'salvation', just as often we hear about redemption--living a redeemed life. We don't "accept" Christ. We are disciples of Christ following the Way of Redemption/Salvation in this life. We incorporate what we taught, how he acted, into our own individual lives today. "Accepting" Christ without incorporating Christ bemuses me. What is the point?
This life is short and filled with pain and suffering, heaven is eternal bliss. I would think every Christian's goal would be heaven and doing whatever it takes in this life to get there. Isn't that the point?

Maybe it is best not to think about theology at all? How about: Love one's fellowman, and the rest is just details. Knowing the love people do have for us, is it possible for us to love them better?

I think the results, at least in this life, would be the same.

Give up God's love? I couldn't do that. It is my soul's and my heart's inspiration in loving others.

Forum List

Back