First Cousins Marry - they say "Nothing Wrong"...

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/5330743.html

PITTSBURGH -— It began as the kind of childhood crush that often becomes family lore shared at reunions years later.

Eventually, first cousins Donald W. Andrews Sr. and Eleanore Amrhein realized they had a deeper love and wanted to wed. It couldn't happen in their home state of Pennsylvania, though, or 23 other states that prohibit first cousins from marrying each other.

Instead, they tied the knot in Maryland last month.

"This is a decision me and my husband have made on our own. We never thought of it being publicized,'' said Eleanor Andrews, 37. "We didn't want the publicity. We wanted the rights like anybody had the rights.''

Their nuptials highlight a relationship that often draws scorn, yet advocates say is equally misunderstood. Such marriages are common in the Middle East, Asia and Africa and are legal in Europe and Canada.

In the United States, 26 states and the District of Columbia allow first cousins to wed, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Of those, five have requirements aimed at preventing reproduction and one state requires genetic counseling.

Robin Bennett, associate director of the medical genetics clinic at the University of Washington, said that laws prohibiting cousins from marrying are "a form of genetic discrimination.''

Bennett led a 2002 study on risks of genetic problems in children born in such marriages. The study found that children born to couples who are first or second cousins have a lower risk for birth defects than commonly perceived.

On average, an unrelated couple has an approximately 3 percent to 4 percent risk of having a child with a birth defect, significant mental retardation or serious genetic disease.

Close cousins face an additional risk of 1.7 percent to 2.8 percent, according to the study, funded by the National Society of Genetic Counselors, and the U.S. Health and Human Services Department.

Christie Smith, 40, founded Cousins United to Defeat Discriminating Laws through Education, in 2002 to overturn laws banning such marriages. So far, the group hasn't found much success.

"People don't like what they don't understand,'' said Smith, who fell in love with her husband after seeing him at a family reunion.

Umm.. I'm not sure how or why this posted twice - but can an admin plz delete this thread?

I didn't find the dupe, but does anyone remember/know why marriage between 1st cousins is unlawful in some jurisdictions? (genetics anyone?)

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/5330743.html

First cousins marry in Maryland; advocates say nothing's wrong
Dan Nephin, Associated Press
April 5, 2005 COUSINS0406

PITTSBURGH -— It began as the kind of childhood crush that often becomes family lore shared at reunions years later.

Eventually, first cousins Donald W. Andrews Sr. and Eleanore Amrhein realized they had a deeper love and wanted to wed. It couldn't happen in their home state of Pennsylvania, though, or 23 other states that prohibit first cousins from marrying each other.

Instead, they tied the knot in Maryland last month.

"This is a decision me and my husband have made on our own. We never thought of it being publicized,'' said Eleanor Andrews, 37. "We didn't want the publicity. We wanted the rights like anybody had the rights.''

Their nuptials highlight a relationship that often draws scorn, yet advocates say is equally misunderstood. Such marriages are common in the Middle East, Asia and Africa and are legal in Europe and Canada.

In the United States, 26 states and the District of Columbia allow first cousins to wed, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Of those, five have requirements aimed at preventing reproduction and one state requires genetic counseling.

Robin Bennett, associate director of the medical genetics clinic at the University of Washington, said that laws prohibiting cousins from marrying are "a form of genetic discrimination.''

Bennett led a 2002 study on risks of genetic problems in children born in such marriages. The study found that children born to couples who are first or second cousins have a lower risk for birth defects than commonly perceived.

On average, an unrelated couple has an approximately 3 percent to 4 percent risk of having a child with a birth defect, significant mental retardation or serious genetic disease.

Close cousins face an additional risk of 1.7 percent to 2.8 percent, according to the study, funded by the National Society of Genetic Counselors, and the U.S. Health and Human Services Department.

Christie Smith, 40, founded Cousins United to Defeat Discriminating Laws through Education, in 2002 to overturn laws banning such marriages. So far, the group hasn't found much success.

"People don't like what they don't understand,'' said Smith, who fell in love with her husband after seeing him at a family reunion.

I would assume that it could weaken the gene pool, as it does
with dogs, and cause serious birth defects.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I would assume that it could weaken the gene pool, as it does
with dogs, and cause serious birth defects.

:clap2:

:laugh:

And this in a BLUE state. I thought fly-over country was where all the "hicks" are. I guess the old Arkansas jokes won't work any more.

I recall a time when marrying your first cousin was considered something backward and uneducated hicks in "Jesusland" did. :tng:

-Cp said:
Ummm...yeah.. look at my second post in the other thread:

"..Umm.. I'm not sure how or why this posted twice - but can an admin plz delete this thread?"

guess not. Sorry. Why did you dupe?

Kathianne said:
guess not. Sorry. Why did you dupe?

Sweet mother of MERCY - just please read...

"....Umm.. I'm not sure how or why this posted twice - but can an admin plz delete this thread?..."

It just happens sometimes. If you accidently hit the submit button twice, it will dupe. Sometimes the system will automatically deleat the dupe and sometimes it won't.

insein said:
Except the eventual kids that have an aunt/mom and uncle/dad. Hate to be them in school.

i like the irony of cp give cousins heat and then double posting

kissin cousins :kiss2:

used to be common for first cousins to marry, even brothers and sisters in ancient times. But as gene mutations increase in the population and are passed along, this is not such a smart idea.

mom4 said:
used to be common for first cousins to marry, even brothers and sisters in ancient times. But as gene mutations increase in the population and are passed along, this is not such a smart idea.

Absolutely. After a time, sameness and conformity work to the detriment of the bloodline - letting in no new information, and therefore breeding only dullness, stupidity, and retardation.

Kind of like DU, only with genetics...

Forum List

Back