First Car

Sep 12, 2008
Was an Audi 4000 with a standard shift and a sun roof and a slightly dicey clutch.

The clutch gave out when we were in the dealership for an oil change.

That was a fun car

A yellow Volkswagon with black fenders, my senior year in high school.

Learned how to drive a clutch with that car in the Catholic Church parking lot by my HS boyfriend Tim C.

He lived in Kokomo, me around Indy, so I drove that car back and forth US 31 quite a bit.

It didn't have a defrost that worked, and it had a hole in the floor where I could see the road while driving, but man, I loved that car!

1967 Toyota Landcruiser with a Ford straight six and three on the tree. No stereo, full roll cage, removable hard top and doors.

This was in 1980...

Blueish 1960 VW Bug with see through flooring, an incredible appetite for 10W40, and a clothes hanger holding on the rear bumper.

1993 grand am (in 2004) that I had paid for with my own money ($1000 for the car and $600 to get "fixed"). After I got it back from mechanic I dropped $600 on stereo stuff and the back speakers blew out 10 minutes later.

was the only kid in my high school that had to pay for their own car.

1970 Chrysler Newport I bought from a friend for $100. Got less than 75 miles before the engine blew. He didn't bother to tell me about the bad oil pump.

Second car was a 73 Dodge Dart. I loved that car. Disappeared from the driveway after 2 years, never to be seen again.

1956 Olds Holiday.

Ten years old when I got it

It got 8 miles to a gallon at best.

First "car" was a used 1972 maroon/cream Ford F100 I bought in 1974. 360 V-8, three on the tree, no AC and no power steering. The previous owner had been stationed in Alaska and had painted the interior of the bed school bus yellow for easy aerial identification.

Last edited:
My first car was a 1970 Chevy Nova SS with a 396 and four on the floor.

God I loved that car.

It looked a lot like this but it was an ungodly orange

1970%20Chevrolet%20Nova%20SS396-a.jpg

1993 grand am (in 2004) that I had paid for with my own money ($1000 for the car and $600 to get "fixed"). After I got it back from mechanic I dropped $600 on stereo stuff and the back speakers blew out 10 minutes later.

was the only kid in my high school that had to pay for their own car.

Where the hell did you go to high school? Beverly Hills?

Will put this reply into two parts:

First Car I owned before a license:
1939 Olds hydramatic, an old farmers car sitting in his barn along side a 1920's ford with the magneto start etc. Paid him $20 and drove it around his farm, a few hundred acres, for a few months circa 1954.

First Car I owned with a license:
1958 Toyopet 4 cyl sedan in HS. Now known as Toyota, at that time they couldn't get a dealership for some reasons, at that time and notice went out they were having a sale in LA for a shipload of them for about $800 each. Excellent vehicle.

A 1970 GTO that really needed a lot of work. I never got it running so I sold it back to the owner and eventually got a Hornet (green of course). Sold that in for a Saab 99e, and eventually got a VW GTI (My frist and only new car).

'66 Mustang, hard top, wine red, V8 289 under the hood with NO fender badges (I was a sneaky prick). Almost exactly like this one...

1966MustangA3.jpg

'66 Beetle. Paid $315 for it in college (1974). Drove it to Colorado without a starter (and over the Continental Divide at 5mph), drove it from Tennessee without breaks, drove it around town without a clutch.

VWcropresize-1.jpg

'69 Mustang Mach 1. Got it in 1971. Way too much car for 1st car, but was fun and I did survive. Same can't be said for the car.

35kiec2.jpg

Forum List

Back