First book written for moving west

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Journal of Travels over the Rocky Mountains by Joel Palmer, published in 1847.

FOR BURTHEN WAGONS, LIGHT FOUR HORSE OR HEAVY TWO horse wagons are the size commonly used. They should be made of the best material, well seasoned, and should in all cases have falling tongues. The tire should not be less than one and three fourth inches wide, but may be advantageously used three inches; two inches, however, is the most common width. In fastening on the tire, bolts should be used instead of nails; it should be at least 5/8 or 3/4 inches thick. Hub boxes for the hubs should be about four inches. The skeins should be well steeled. The Mormon fashioned wagon bed is the best. They are usually made straight, with side boards about 16 inches wide, and a projection outward of four inches on each side, and then another side board of ten or twelve inches; in this last, set the bows for covers, which should always be double. Boxes for carrying effects should be so constructed as to correspond in height with the offset in the wagon bed, as this gives a smooth surface to sleep upon.

He goes on to list what should be carried and what livestock should be brought along for the three month journey from St Louis to the Oregon Territory.

Had to get a steroid shot yesterday. Found out my nasal passages are shot, ears getting clogged to the point I can' hear, swollen gland. Turns out its from spending so many years quadding and RV'ing in the desert....something to do with a variety of microbes in the sand. I can count on more then two hands the number of sandstorms I've been through where I wasn't protected well enough.
It's easy to see how the life spans were super short in the ol' west.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back