first big winter meal!

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
it is cold here today....freezing or below the whole day...we have had breakfast...and are now getting ready for dinner...with guests (the kids hardly that important) so we are making turkey breast in a clay cooker, mashed taters, undecided green, already made the cranberry sauce and the cream cheese is coming to room temperature. (little hint here..cream cheese does not melt when cooked..if your batter has lumps your cheesecake will have lumps...you must bring it to room temp and use a "moist" oven. put a pan of hot water under the cheesecake)

no one cares about those making shrimp on the grill....yall are hardly favored people in the winter to those of us in the cold.

I have not cooked in the kitchen inside all summer...hate to use the oven or stove for any length of time during the summer....pretty good at getting everything for dinner, done outside on the grill...

but a cold spell came in the other day and looks like winter is early and here to stay....it snowed in the rain mix tonight...pretty darn early, even for coastal maine...

I made a big pot of beef stew....and loaf of homemade bread....been a year since we had it, but it was nice standing infrnt of the warm stove...

Today I had a fire going in the fireplace....still no wood stove yet...would love to learn to cook on top of the wood stove...

Can't wait to make my first batch of soup for the winter....i love soups, but refrain all summer due to the heat from the stove...

I just had some twix's!

you got another year or two of that....eating those twix and things, you are still young...but WATCH OUT, there will be a day coming soon where the snacks like that and a normal body weight, don't mix! hahahahahaha! Bummer too!

I never eat them anymore, just had a craving after being up all night. Trust me I have found out that baked toastio chips with fake sour creme, with salsa is good. I have switched to vodka waters, and I forgot what bread taste like. :)

we have a wood stove....i only cook on it when the electric is out....

dinner was a success...it is colder today...got down in the upper 20s...

Can't wait to make my first batch of soup for the winter....i love soups, but refrain all summer due to the heat from the stove...

I already made my first batch of chili. I love that when it gets cold with just a little sprinkle of cheese on top.

I made The Shogun's Infamous Chicken enchiladas yesterday. served with a dollop of home made guacamole and mexi-sour cream, white corn chips and a corona.

l_8203a93efbc74ed0bf3518b5cbd77a64.jpg

l_6d61baa79d2d4122aaf7d9b4b32f030a.jpg

l_f9745b26128048c68ceb05bd75b736c8.jpg

we also share recipes lol that looks good shogun...and plentiful....with dinner for 5..on sundays i need plentiful and something i can make before they get here...so i am not cooking the entire time they are here...

I made ham this weekend, it's been cold here for weeks. We had snow two weekends ago, it's spit sleet, hail, and a little snow off and on ever since. Though of course the day I was riding the temp came up to at least 70. Enough to make me sweat while I was toiling over my horse's feet.

My back is still killing me. Thinking about calling in.

we also share recipes lol that looks good shogun...and plentiful....with dinner for 5..on sundays i need plentiful and something i can make before they get here...so i am not cooking the entire time they are here...

that actually took less time than normal because I used rotisserie chickens and, with a lot of mexican food, it's just a matter of layering.

i made this the other night

5-5.5 lb brisket
1 large onion, sliced thick
1 c pineapple juice
3 T brown sugar
1 c ketchup
3 T cider vinegar
2 t worcestershire sauce

salt and pepper meat to taste. brown both sides under broiler.
Combine other ingredients in bowl, pour over meat. cover with tin foil, punch a few holes in it. cook in 350 oven for about 4 hours, basting occasionally. cook uncovered for last 45 minutes at 450 to thicken sauce.

i served it with make ahead mashed potatoes and carrots.
good stuff on a cold night and it smells great.

I did a few things differently but this is the base recipe I used. simmer carmelized onions and pulled chicken in corona infused with taco seasoning instead of simmering in salsa (I did, however, add rotel diced tomatoes with green chilles along with two more cans of chillis.). I added the salsa, drained black beans and sliced jalapenos after meat has been added to shells. I had guacamole mix handy and usually add taco seasoning to sour cream. I like the tortilla shells sticking up around the sides too; not only does this keep anything from spilling in the over but it's like having fresh chips strait out of the oven.

CHICKEN ENCHILADES

1 WHOLE COOKED CHICKEN
1 MED. CHOPPED ONION
1 SM. CAN CHOPPED CHILIES
1 CAN CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
26-OZ. JAR SALSA [ I USE WALMART'S]
8-OZ. SHREDDED CHEESE [CHEDDAR, MONTEREY JACK]
1 PKG. TACO SEASONING MIX
1 PT. SOUR CREAM
10 TORTILLAS

SAUTE ONIONS IN SMALL AMOUNT OF OIL. CUT UP CHICKEN INTO BITE SIZE PIECES OR SHRED. ADD MEAT, CHILIES, SALSA, AND TACO SEASONING. SIMMER HALF HOUR.
PREPARE TORTILLAS FOR ENCHILADAS BY COOKING IN HOT OIL UNTIL LIGHTLY GOLDEN BUT SOMEWHAT FLEXIBLE. FILL TORTILLAS WITH CHICKEN MIXTURE AND CHEESE. WRAP AND PLACE IN LARGE BAKING PAN. COVER WITH SAUCE OF BLENDED SOUP AND SOUR CREAM. SPRINKLE WITH REMAINING CHEESE.
BAKE 20 MIN. AT 375 DEGREES.

p.s. I have uses the cooked rotissary chicken from the store. It's faster if you don't want to cook the chicken.

5-5.5 lb brisket
1 c pineapple juice
3 T brown sugar
1 c ketchup
3 T cider vinegar
2 t worcestershire sauce

Combine other ingredients in bowl, pour over meat. cover with tin foil, punch a few holes in it. cook in 350 oven for about 4 hours, basting occasionally. cook uncovered for last 45 minutes at 450 to thicken sauce.

I have problems getting briskets, pork chops, some steaks tender and juicy. I always marinade for at least 24 hrs but it just never gets good enough for me. Any tips?

Last edited:

5-5.5 lb brisket
1 c pineapple juice
3 T brown sugar
1 c ketchup
3 T cider vinegar
2 t worcestershire sauce

I have problems getting briskets, pork chops, some steaks tender and juicy. I always marinade for at least 24 hrs but it just never gets good enough for me. Any tips?

not really. briskets need to be moist cooked-i don't even marinate them, just cook them in some kind of sauce/gravy and baste.
you might want to try another market/butcher shop. i also find that if i ask the person behind the counter to cut something for me, it's almost always a better quality of meat-personal pride, i guess.

good luck!

Forum List

Back