First Bedbugs, Now Stink Bugs?

Trying having June Bugs.

And we have stink bugs here, always have. I saw one yesterday, just dont step on one.

If you are ware I am then we have the same big nasty green bastards. I took a June bug in the mouth one time. I was hauling ass on a dirt bike . Hurt like hell. Rep for knowing what you are talking about.

we had them last summer. i dont under stand how they kept getting through my window. but i got stunk out of my room more then once..:eek:

Stink beetles lasted all through the winter

Can't wait till spring

Trying having June Bugs.

And we have stink bugs here, always have. I saw one yesterday, just dont step on one.

omg. June Bugs are HUGE. And icky. But not as icky as potato bugs. Thank gawd those stay in the ground.

The beest way to get rid of stink bugs is to trap them and place them in a bucket of water. this is according to our local paper here in Pennsylvania. We have had a prblem with ladybugs here the last couple of years also. The gov. releases them to help the farmers here and a couple of years ago they releasted to many, so we have them to contend with as well.

Dat's what Granny calls lib'rals - stinkbugs...
:tongue:
Summer heat brings back the stink bugs
Pest numbers increased 60%
Warm weather this year has contributed to a resurgence in the mid-Atlantic region’s brown marmorated stink bug population, with researchers estimating at least a 60 percent increase this year in insects that soon will be making their way indoors to escape cooling temperatures. Record summer heat that lasted through September favored the resurgence of stink bugs, which breed twice a year — in spring and summer. Michael Raupp, entomology professor at the University of Maryland, said the favorable conditions enabled the bugs to complete their second breeding cycle in “spectacular fashion,” meaning they are poised to invade homes and businesses in large numbers.

Some scientists even have speculated that this year’s infestation could rival that of 2010, when swarms of the creepy-looking invasive insect attacked crops and unsettled residents of the mid-Atlantic states. Far fewer of the bugs were spotted last fall because of cool and wet weather, which made it difficult for them to produce a second generation, Mr. Raupp said. As a result, the stink-bug population was smaller in the spring. “This gave people the impression that the stink bugs had vanished,” Mr. Raupp said. “The return is kind of a misconception. They never really went away.”

Native to Asia, stink bugs were first found in the United States in Allentown, Pa., in 1998, and have been spreading ever since. The massive 2010 infestation was caused in part by an early warm spring. “When it warms, it’s a signal that trees are going to have buds, leaves and fruits; then they become active,” Mr. Raupp said. Characterized by their shield shape and the foul odor they emit when crushed, stink bugs will be looking for refuge indoors as winter approaches. They seek “tight, cool, dry spaces,” such as the insides of windowsill cracks, door jambs, shutters and attics, said Tracy Leskey, an entomologist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Appalachian Fruit Research Station in Kearneysville, W.Va. Ms. Leskey, who estimated the 60 percent increase from last year, told a Massachusetts newspaper that 2010 proved to be the most devastating year for apple crops damaged by the bug, with $37 million in losses in the mid-Atlantic states. She said even higher numbers of the stink bugs have been seen this year in Maryland and Virginia, among other states.

Swarms of stink bugs have other effects as well. “It’s the vast number of these big, goofy bugs that freak people out,” Mr. Raupp said, adding that it is not uncommon for several hundred bugs to cluster inside homes. As the bugs become dormant during winter, they also look for protective spots outdoors, such as underneath the bark of dead trees. In six months last year, Doug Inkley, senior scientist at the National Wildlife Federation, counted 26,000 bugs inside his home in Knoxville, Md., and 30,000 outside. “They wander inside at nighttime. They will be buzzing around your home,” Mr. Raupp said.

More Summer heat brings back the stink bugs - Washington Times

What is up with the Eastern US?

Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States - TIME NewsFeed

Epidemic
Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States
By: Steven James Snyder (24 hours ago)

Reuters

Some are calling it the next big insect epidemic: Stink bugs, native to China, now trying to make their way into East Coast homes before winter. (via WSET)

Throughout Virginia and New Jersey, journalists are reporting a surge of homeowners inundated with Pentatomoidea - or Stink Bugs. Yes, they smell bad, and yes, they swarm.

"They are just looking for a place over winter, to stay safe and warm," Lynchburg Extension Agent Kevin Camm told Virginia's WSET.

Stink bugs arrived from China in the 1990s. After a summer full of gorging and mating, they set out to make their way indoors as the temperature drops. (More at NewsFeed: The 10 Things You Don't Know About Doughnuts)

Relatively harmless to humans, the problems stem from glands that the bugs have between their legs, which produce an offensive odor that is commonly used as a defense mechanism. But in America, there is no natural barrier to their population surge, meaning that besides the weather, they will continue to make the annual autumn pilgrimage into your porch or basement...

I think it is because we had a mild winter last year . I mean really wasnt bad at all in PA according to my relatives. Hardly any snow.

What is up with the Eastern US?

Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States - TIME NewsFeed

Epidemic
Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States
By: Steven James Snyder (24 hours ago)

Reuters

Some are calling it the next big insect epidemic: Stink bugs, native to China, now trying to make their way into East Coast homes before winter. (via WSET)

Throughout Virginia and New Jersey, journalists are reporting a surge of homeowners inundated with Pentatomoidea - or Stink Bugs. Yes, they smell bad, and yes, they swarm.

"They are just looking for a place over winter, to stay safe and warm," Lynchburg Extension Agent Kevin Camm told Virginia's WSET.

Stink bugs arrived from China in the 1990s. After a summer full of gorging and mating, they set out to make their way indoors as the temperature drops. (More at NewsFeed: The 10 Things You Don't Know About Doughnuts)

Relatively harmless to humans, the problems stem from glands that the bugs have between their legs, which produce an offensive odor that is commonly used as a defense mechanism. But in America, there is no natural barrier to their population surge, meaning that besides the weather, they will continue to make the annual autumn pilgrimage into your porch or basement...

1. They smell bad.
2. They swarm.
3. Looking for a place over winter, to stay safe and warm.
4. A summer full of gorging and mating.
5. Make their way indoors as the temperature drops.
6. Gland between their legs produce an offensive odor.
7. Continue to make the annual autumn pilgrimage into your porch or basement.

This is a PERFECT description of BARACK OBAMA SUPPORTERS.

Freeloading, stinky DEMOCRATS.

I'm sure the Democrat Party voter fraud people are looking into this whole new "stink bug" voting constituency.

Please don't compare the critters to bed bugs. Stink bugs don't hurt you and they are kind of neat to watch kind of like a lady bug on steroids. Lady bugs are an introduced species and they are a pest in the spring just because of their numbers but I guess the birds like them'

Ladybugs aren't introduced...the US has always had them. There are different types across the continent. There's a "disappearing ladybug project' that enlists the assistance of kids to record the lady bugs they find and take pictures.

We've also always had stink bugs..this must be a new kind.

I have always loved june bugs. They're beautiful, and they remind me of...well, summer. We used to get them (oddly in june)..they'd be attracted to the light at the end of our street, a dead end street, right by our house. We'd go out there in the summer at dusk and watch the bugs congregate, and then the bats would come and eat the bugs...it was fascinating, better than video games.

How could you hate a june bug?

images

Completely harmless little critters.

Though I think their larvae might be pretty heinous.

Granny says, "Dat's right, it says in Joel inna Bible there gonna be swarms o' locusts right before the Day of the Lord - come Lord Jesus!...
:eusa_shifty:
Locust Swarms Forming in West Africa
October 23, 2012 - Four countries in West Africa have been put on alert for the likely arrival of swarms of Desert Locusts. If uncontrolled, a small swarm can eat the same amount of food in one day as 35-thousand people.
Locust swarms are currently forming in Chad, northern Mali and northern Niger. But expert Keith Cressman said they’re not expected to stay there very long. “As we’re at the end of the rainy season, the vegetation is drying out, conditions are becoming unfavorable for Desert Locusts, the swarms will then move. And they will move in a northerly direction, and we’re expecting them to move towards Libya, Algeria, parts of southern Morocco and northwestern Mauritania” said Cressman, Senior Locust Forecasting Officer for the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization. He described the locusts’ arrival as imminent.

2D3AC9C4-3E1D-4D8A-9F5D-A4FA59858C60_w640_r1_s.png

Locusts can be found just about any time of the year in the world’s deserts, but usually in low numbers. “However,” he said, “when conditions are extremely favorable – that is, where there are good rains in the desert and there’s natural vegetation that becomes green – those locusts can increase very rapidly in numbers, some 16-fold with every generation. When these locust numbers increase, they change their behavior from that of a solitarius locust to one that becomes part of a group. And they form what we call concentrations of locusts, which is commonly known as swarms.”

The locusts change their appearance, too. Wingless nymphs are normally green when in low numbers, but change to yellow and black in high numbers. Winged adults, which are normally brown, turn a bright pink and those ready to lay eggs are a bright yellow. A swarm can contain tens of millions of locusts. The FAO has been able to monitor the growing swarms in Niger and Chad. However, Cressman said northern Mali is another matter. Conflict has prevented survey teams from entering the area.

More Locust Swarms Forming in West Africa

Forum List

Back