Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
What is up with the Eastern US?

Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States - TIME NewsFeed

Epidemic
Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States
By: Steven James Snyder (24 hours ago)

Reuters

Some are calling it the next big insect epidemic: Stink bugs, native to China, now trying to make their way into East Coast homes before winter. (via WSET)

Throughout Virginia and New Jersey, journalists are reporting a surge of homeowners inundated with Pentatomoidea - or Stink Bugs. Yes, they smell bad, and yes, they swarm.

"They are just looking for a place over winter, to stay safe and warm," Lynchburg Extension Agent Kevin Camm told Virginia's WSET.

Stink bugs arrived from China in the 1990s. After a summer full of gorging and mating, they set out to make their way indoors as the temperature drops. (More at NewsFeed: The 10 Things You Don't Know About Doughnuts)

Relatively harmless to humans, the problems stem from glands that the bugs have between their legs, which produce an offensive odor that is commonly used as a defense mechanism. But in America, there is no natural barrier to their population surge, meaning that besides the weather, they will continue to make the annual autumn pilgrimage into your porch or basement...

Trying having June Bugs.

And we have stink bugs here, always have. I saw one yesterday, just dont step on one.

Oh, we have June bugs. Dumbshit bugs, IMO.

I thought I was seeing more stink bugs than usual.

But, it's tiger mosquito time, and those suckers are biting me all the time.

June Bugs scare me, they hiss. :lol:

I hate pine beatles, some years it is like they are on roids.

Any bug that I can hear, scares me. The problem with June bugs is they seem to just fly into you for no freakin' reason. And they have significant mass.

Creepy, real creepy.

Any bug that I can hear, scares me. The problem with June bugs is they seem to just fly into you for no freakin' reason. And they have significant mass.

Creepy, real creepy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slg59ufLKXk]YouTube - BUG - Trailer[/ame]

Creepy, real creepy.

I went golfing over in Idaho one summer, and the course was surrounded by pine trees. There must have been something on my ear, but I had three large beatles and a June Bug fly into my ear. One time I thought I had been hit with a ball. :lol:

I love it when June Bugs get caught in a bug zapper, and you know when it is a June Bug. :lol:

Creepy, real creepy.

I went golfing over in Idaho one summer, and the course was surrounded by pine trees. There must have been something on my ear, but I had three large beatles and a June Bug fly into my ear. One time I thought I had been hit with a ball. :lol:

I love it when June Bugs get caught in a bug zapper, and you know when it is a June Bug. :lol:

We had a bat fly into ours once. Popped a breaker.

Fucking june bugs destroyed my pepper plants this season.

Next year there's gonna be a holocaust.

mib_008VincentDOnofrio.jpg

Trying having June Bugs.

And we have stink bugs here, always have. I saw one yesterday, just dont step on one.

You have not seen shit till you been in a May fly spawn here in Michigan. HOLY CRAP!!
I used to live just a few blocks from Lake St. Clair. The fish flies were disgusting. Once slipped in them going out my front door - covered in dead fish fly.

Went right back inside and showered again.

Trying having June Bugs.

You have not seen shit till you been in a May fly spawn here in Michigan. HOLY CRAP!!
I used to live just a few blocks from Lake St. Clair. The fish flies were disgusting. Once slipped in them going out my front door - covered in dead fish fly.

Went right back inside and showered again.

SEXAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAY!!!

What is up with the Eastern US?

Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States - TIME NewsFeed

Epidemic
Beyond Bed Bugs: Stink Bugs Seize Hold of Mid-Atlantic States
By: Steven James Snyder (24 hours ago)

Reuters

Some are calling it the next big insect epidemic: Stink bugs, native to China, now trying to make their way into East Coast homes before winter. (via WSET)

Throughout Virginia and New Jersey, journalists are reporting a surge of homeowners inundated with Pentatomoidea - or Stink Bugs. Yes, they smell bad, and yes, they swarm.

"They are just looking for a place over winter, to stay safe and warm," Lynchburg Extension Agent Kevin Camm told Virginia's WSET.

Stink bugs arrived from China in the 1990s. After a summer full of gorging and mating, they set out to make their way indoors as the temperature drops. (More at NewsFeed: The 10 Things You Don't Know About Doughnuts)

Relatively harmless to humans, the problems stem from glands that the bugs have between their legs, which produce an offensive odor that is commonly used as a defense mechanism. But in America, there is no natural barrier to their population surge, meaning that besides the weather, they will continue to make the annual autumn pilgrimage into your porch or basement...

Diversity!

I am so freaking paranoid about BUGS!! Now there is one more to have to watch out for?!?!?!?!

The Stinkbugs are coming!, The Stinkbugs are coming!...
:eek:
Stink bug population spreading across USA
Stink bugs, the smelly scourge of the mid-Atlantic, are hitch-hiking and gliding their way across the country. Officially known as the brown marmorated stink bug, sightings of the pest have been reported in 33 states, an increase of eight states since last fall.
"I would say people now regard them as an out-of-control pest," says Kim Hoelmer, a research entomologist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Newark, Del. The National Pest Management Association warns homeowners this week that the bugs' growing populations are likely to make infestations significantly worse this year. "This season's stink bug population will be larger than in the past," says Jim Fredericks, director of technical services for NPMA.

The bugs have been spotted as far west as California, as far north as Minnesota and as far south as Florida. Only the Rockies and Plains states have escaped thus far. The eight states recently joining the stink bug party are Arizona, Iowa, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin, according to the USDA's Greg Rosenthal. Rosenthal says a report of a stink bug in a state does not necessarily mean that the pest is established or that agricultural damage has been reported in that state.

Stink bugs are named for the pungent smell they emit when frightened, disturbed or squashed. "They have glands that produce a defensive compound, which has a strong odor that repels predators," Hoelmer says. "It makes them particularly obnoxious." Entomologist David Rider of North Dakota State University says there are more than 4,700 species of stink bugs in the world — 250 of them in the USA and Canada. Some of these are agricultural pests, while others are beneficial predators that feed on insects — but now it's just the brown marmorated one in the USA that's causing all the fuss.

MORE

Forum List

Back