Firefox Search Bar Help

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I love the search bar in Firefox. However, I would like to be able to type something in the search bar and have the results pop up in a new tab. Is there a way to do this?

gop_jeff said:
I love the search bar in Firefox. However, I would like to be able to type something in the search bar and have the results pop up in a new tab. Is there a way to do this?
I know what you mean. Can't really help though..I don't use tabs. Here's what I do..Google is set as my homepage. Anytime I want to search I just open a new window from the file menu. If I want to use another engine besides google that option is there as well. Works for me.

Mr. P said:
I know what you mean. Can't really help though..I don't use tabs. Here's what I do..Google is set as my homepage. Anytime I want to search I just open a new window from the file menu. If I want to use another engine besides google that option is there as well. Works for me.

That's what I'm doing now: manually opening a new tab, then doing the search. Just wondering if there's an option I didn't know about.

gop_jeff said:
That's what I'm doing now: manually opening a new tab, then doing the search. Just wondering if there's an option I didn't know about.
There may be, I donno..

Wait! In the file menu there is also a "New Tab" menu..That works.

I don't have Firefox, but I use Mozilla. Under Edit->Preferences->Tabbed Browsing, you can set shortcut keys to open a new tab. Mine is set to Ctrl+Enter.

When I want to search for something, I type it in the location bar, arrow down to "Search Google for: ...." and press Ctrl+Enter. This gives me the Google results in a new tab.

I'm sure something similar exists for Firefox.

Here comes a question from Captain Obvious - have you checked the Firefox page for any extensions that help with that? I don't use Firefox, I prefer Opera, but perhaps someone has written an extension that may work.

Forum List

Back