"firefox is already running" in ubuntu?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
So I'm getting the belov ed 'firefox is already runing'; error in ubuntu (but not in windows).

-No lock files exist
-the firefox profile is shared on both OSs
-Ubuntu seems to smultenouslybelieve it's running (see error) and not running

jtb@jtb-desktop:~$ ps ax | grep firefox
4998 pts/0 R+ 0:00 grep firefox
jtb@jtb-desktop:~$ sudo kill 7998
[sudo] password for jtb:
kill: No such process
jtb@jtb-desktop:~$

killall -firefox and killall -firefox -b in simpkly list the switches for KILL

I've tried uninstalling completely (via synaptic) and then reinstalling only to get the same result

So I'm getting the belov ed 'firefox is already runing'; error in ubuntu (but not in windows).

-No lock files exist
-the firefox profile is shared on both OSs
-Ubuntu seems to smultenouslybelieve it's running (see error) and not running

jtb@jtb-desktop:~$ ps ax | grep firefox
4998 pts/0 R+ 0:00 grep firefox
jtb@jtb-desktop:~$ sudo kill 7998
[sudo] password for jtb:
kill: No such process
jtb@jtb-desktop:~$

killall -firefox and killall -firefox -b in simpkly list the switches for KILL

I've tried uninstalling completely (via synaptic) and then reinstalling only to get the same result

When are you getting the error.

I installed Firefox again and so happy I did. IE8 has many bugs

I ended up just doing a total reinstall of ubuntu :/

Okay, well if it happens again post when it happens. There can be a lag when it closes down if you allow too much storage space for it and go to media heavy sites. Do you know how to open the Windoze like system monitor yet? It's faster and easier to see what's running in real time.

• Banned

Okay, well if it happens again post when it happens. There can be a lag when it closes down if you allow too much storage space for it and go to media heavy sites. Do you know how to open the Windoze like system monitor yet? It's faster and easier to see what's running in real time.
System monitor showed nothing, no lock files were present, and all kill attempts got a message that no such process was running

System monitor showed nothing, no lock files were present, and all kill attempts got a message that no such process was running

Okay, when you do it through the control monitor make sure you only kill once, otherwise it slows it down. But that does sound strange. You are running Ubuntu 9.04 and full updates right? Also, which Flash plugin are you using, the generic one or the official one from Adobe? There is the possibility that you found an unreported attack site, though there is no threat to yous system unless you enter the super password at a browser prompt, they can cause it to hang for a very long time if it's trying to install something, takes a few minutes before the system finally just cuts it off completely. There are so many possibilities, so the amount of time it finally takes to get dumped (just keep trying to reopen FF until you can) and when it happens are important, as well as what software you are using. I found that Adobe's Flash plugin is actually less agreeable for some reason, but the generic one works best. However, the generic one is as up to date. Also, if you access a Java program online that doesn't close right, that can cause FireFox to hang indefinitely, and few programmers know how to close those correctly I have noticed. If it doesn't clear out after a bit look for a jvm in your list of services/threads, close them all, there should be no residential jvm's, that only shows for applets.

You did notice that you tried to kill the wrong proc ID in the above screen print, right?

You did notice that you tried to kill the wrong proc ID in the above screen print, right?

Damn ... I didn't even notice that ... :lol: Yeah, that probably would have helped him to.

Forum List

Back