Firefox installation help

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Okay, what am I doing wrong:

Installation wizard gets so far, then gives me this message:

FIREFOX IS CONFIGURED TO USE A PROXY SERVER THAT IS REFUSING CONNECTIONS

I've checked the LAN settings, and they are correct.

I've checked the protocol settings, and they are correct.

I even thought Windows firewall was blocked installation, to I added Firefox as an exception.

I use Verizon DSL and that's fine too.

I still get the error message.

Actually, I was planning to install Google Chrome, but noted they still have a few bugs so I'm holding off on that. But in the meantime, I've still been using IE only because I've had to do several restores due to virus attacks and I just left it.

Now I'm ready to install Firefox, and can't do it.

WTF?

I agree. Firefox seems to make the simplest actions more complicated. I went to Chrome and have been very pleased.

Several months ago, after yet another virus attack, I actually did start using Firefox, but then got hit with one there, too. As I said, Windows XP provides only IE, so in order to download anything else, I have to use that, at least for startup. Then I get lazy and don't remove it, which is my own fault.

I agree. Firefox seems to make the simplest actions more complicated. I went to Chrome and have been very pleased.

i agree here Maggs....i use Fox and Chrome..... Chrome works good for me....Fox seems to crash a lot lately....i hear Bing is supposed to be nice too....

Several months ago, after yet another virus attack, I actually did start using Firefox, but then got hit with one there, too. As I said, Windows XP provides only IE, so in order to download anything else, I have to use that, at least for startup. Then I get lazy and don't remove it, which is my own fault.

why so many virus attacks?.....what kind of security do you use?....and what are you doing to let these things in?....:eusa_eh:

why so many virus attacks?.....what kind of security do you use?....and what are you doing to let these things in?....:eusa_eh:

I've tried several, and finally started using AVG about four months ago. But that "securities update" virus designed to look like a Windows application still managed to get through AGAIN. I also have a program that scans the registry, which I do every day, because there is still a "piece" (if I can call it that) of that virus that latches onto my desktop startup program which removes all my settings. Pain in the fucking ass. I heard yesterday that last year alone, there were 340 million virus attacks reported on home computers.

You shouldn't need proxy settings. Tools/Options/Advanced. For Connection, select 'Settings' and check 'No Proxy'.

I think I tried that, but will try again. Thanks. If I can get Foxfire to load, I'm also going to load Google Chrome. Backup is good.

I've tried several, and finally started using AVG about four months ago. But that "securities update" virus designed to look like a Windows application still managed to get through AGAIN. I also have a program that scans the registry, which I do every day, because there is still a "piece" (if I can call it that) of that virus that latches onto my desktop startup program which removes all my settings. Pain in the fucking ass. I heard yesterday that last year alone, there were 340 million virus attacks reported on home computers.

wow...that is a lot of viruses....i use NOD-32....i use to use Mcafee...but when i went to NOD and did a scan they identified 17 things that they said should not be there....when they cleaned them out, my Computer ran like ten times faster and better...Mcafee sure as hell did not do what it advertised....NOD so far has grabbed anything coming in they dont like or recognize and has let me now about it....its kinda like the guard at the door....stay here and let me check if your alright....i hope you get it squared away Maggs those things can be a pain...

FireFox is the best browser I've found..Chrome is a close second. In any case, I've never had your prob, So I have no idea on how to fix it..Sorry.

If you're using a Windows OS check your Internet Properties settings under the connections tab, they may have been changed. If that fails un-install Firefox then reinstall it. Immediately after it's up and running go to Tools (in Firefox) add WOT, Ghostery and Adblock. That should stop most attacks from getting through.
On my Windows machine I'm running SpywareBlaster and Avast and have been for over a year. So far so good, no issues.

I had no problems getting Firefox installed - so far, so good. I seem to have issues getting Thunderbird to work - AT&T seems to have a hissy fit and won't cooperate.

I had no problems getting Firefox installed - so far, so good. I seem to have issues getting Thunderbird to work - AT&T seems to have a hissy fit and won't cooperate.

I tried Thunderbird once. After about two weeks it dumped half of my contacts, thankfully I do back ups. I'm currently using Evolution Mail and have yet to experience any issues.

Forum List

Back