Firefox Bundling Bloatware?

XPostFacto

VIP Member
May 17, 2013
The Sticks
This morning, I finally decided to let Firefox install an update. I try to resist as much as possible. I know how Firefox likes to change my browser settings and such. I checked Options and noticed it hadn't changed my startup page.from Google, so that was okay. I then checked the Add On section in Tools. Lo and behold, I see a new add on, "Open H264 Video Codec", which is being provided to Firefox by Cisco Systems. Usually, you have 3 choices, "Always Activate, Ask to Activate, or Never Activate." Now, there are only 2 choices Activate, or Never Activate so I turned it off. I didn't seem to have a problem when I didn't have it installed so why worry now? What you have never had, you never miss. This new app says it is to be used to play back web video and video chats. I don't use the chat rooms, and I despise these news sites that automatically start playing videos. I have a satellite system that limits how much I can download per month. These automatic streaming videos cut into that monthly limit, but Shockwave gives me the option of activating if I want to watch a video. This H264 video codec gives no such option. Whatever it is, I decided I don't need it.

This morning, I finally decided to let Firefox install an update. I try to resist as much as possible. I know how Firefox likes to change my browser settings and such. I checked Options and noticed it hadn't changed my startup page.from Google, so that was okay. I then checked the Add On section in Tools. Lo and behold, I see a new add on, "Open H264 Video Codec", which is being provided to Firefox by Cisco Systems. Usually, you have 3 choices, "Always Activate, Ask to Activate, or Never Activate." Now, there are only 2 choices Activate, or Never Activate so I turned it off. I didn't seem to have a problem when I didn't have it installed so why worry now? What you have never had, you never miss. This new app says it is to be used to play back web video and video chats. I don't use the chat rooms, and I despise these news sites that automatically start playing videos. I have a satellite system that limits how much I can download per month. These automatic streaming videos cut into that monthly limit, but Shockwave gives me the option of activating if I want to watch a video. This H264 video codec gives no such option. Whatever it is, I decided I don't need it.

Do you use AdblockPlus?
No more automatic videos

Do you use AdblockPlus?
No more automatic videos

No, I don't use that, but I have the popup block enabled in IE and Firefox, for what it's worth, probably nothing. I have seen AdblockPlus advertised, but I don't trust any of them, since many of these free apps seem to add more bloatware than I had before I downloaded them.

Do you use AdblockPlus?
No more automatic videos

No, I don't use that, but I have the popup block enabled in IE and Firefox, for what it's worth, probably nothing. I have seen AdblockPlus advertised, but I don't trust any of them, since many of these free apps seem to add more bloatware than I had before I downloaded them.

You don't know me, so I would understand not following internet advice - but I can 100% attest to the validity of AdblockPlus. It is 100% legit and a must for securing your browser.
Since many malware programs infect via ads - you can't get infected from what never appears.
Also there is NoScript, again a legit add-on used by security-minded folks the world over.
In fact - if I had to choose between anti-virus alone, or just these two apps and NO anti-virus program - I would choose these two programs.
I tell people all the time - it is more important to secure your browser than secure your computer (home computer)

Do you use AdblockPlus?
No more automatic videos

They're actually "add ons" not apps and are are designed to enhance the usage/security/functionality of Firefox and any other browser it works with and the basic ones most use have no "bloatware" whatsoever.
I've been using AdBlock, Ghostery and DoNotTrackMe for at least a decade with no bloatware and no issues.
Also I just updated Firefox on all my computers and saw nothing like what you are relating.

The OP was put forth as a question, is Firefox bundling bloatware? I have never seen this codec before and don't see why I would need it in the future. I have Adobe Flash disabled and set up to ask to activate. Therefore, I don't have to worry about anymore videos automatically starting on any website I frequent. I have monthly download limits and therefore don't want unwanted videos cutting into that download limit.

The OP was put forth as a question, is Firefox bundling bloatware? I have never seen this codec before and don't see why I would need it in the future. I have Adobe Flash disabled and set up to ask to activate. Therefore, I don't have to worry about anymore videos automatically starting on any website I frequent. I have monthly download limits and therefore don't want unwanted videos cutting into that download limit.
What will you do, when HTML5 finally replaces flash?

I running AdblockPlus on Chrome. The YouTube ads are blocked but the autostart videos are not. Could someone please show me how to stop those too?

Thanks in advance!

What will you do, when HTML5 finally replaces flash?

I hadn't heard about HTML5, but more than likely, I will just disable that Right now, at the bottom of this very screen, I see where a video wants to play, but I have Flash stopped where it is asking me to activate Adobe Flash. That's the way, it is going to have to be.

To answer the previous post, you probably haven't read all the previous posts on this subject, but here is a refresher:

Disable Adobe Flash. Here's what you need to do:

How To Stop Auto-playing Flash And HTML5 Videos In Firefox

Last edited:
You can make your computer use Youtube via HTML5.
And Adobe does´t not see a future in flash, anyway.
YouTube

Well, there is a program (freemium-ware,) that can convert to HTML5: Freemake Video Converter
You should get a license for this tool, it is very universal and useful.

Last edited:
You definitely do want H.264. It's not bloatware. It's what YouTube, Vimeo and all the online video is moving to, because it's better than clunky old Flash.

Now, Mozilla originally did not want H.264 in Firefox, because it's patented software. Mozilla was pushing for websites to use open-source Ogg Theora, but H.264 sort of won the standards battle, so Firefox was forced to include it. Because it's someone else's patented software, Firefox has to put it in as an add-on.

You definitely do want H.264. It's not bloatware. It's what YouTube, Vimeo and all the online video is moving to, because it's better than clunky old Flash.

Now, Mozilla originally did not want H.264 in Firefox, because it's patented software. Mozilla was pushing for websites to use open-source Ogg Theora, but H.264 sort of won the standards battle, so Firefox was forced to include it. Because it's someone else's patented software, Firefox has to put it in as an add-on.

That's good information. Previously, I mentioned that you could set Flash to activate when needed. Last night, I noticed that the option is gone. Firefox may have updated when I was playing a game, but I thought I had it configured to ask to update. I also noticed that You Tube videos can now play even though Shockwave (Flash) is disabled. It may be that You Tube has now implemented HTML 5 to play them.

I guess I might enable H264 just to see what happens, but if news sites start playing videos, I'll know what it does, and it will go off again.

I think it was Bleipriester, who warned me about HTML5, and it has happened. You no longer need Shockwave Flash to play You Tube videos. Disabling it won't work because I was on Fox News a while ago, and annoying videos started playing on their own. Also You Tube videos play. Well, there is a solution. You can also disable HTML5 now. I tried it, and it works. Here is how you do it. Just change four items to false. It's tedious to find them, but it works for me.
Disable HTML5 Media in Mozilla Firefox

with HTML5 disabled, all you do is enable Shockwave again to play a video that you want to see. when you are finished watching said video, disabled Shockwave. Again, it's a pain, but it works for me.

Last edited:
I have Mcafee Site Advisor and it adds to warnings I've received from Firefox about unsafe sites.

Haven't figured out how to adopt it to Opera yet.

Forum List

Back