FireFox 4.0 Sucks Donkey Dick!

Does anyone know if there is a way to move the home page and bookmarks buttons?

I liked them on the left side of the page, instead of the right.

Just looked at it, not sure it can be done. Like me ya just have to get used to the new layout. I keep automatically going to the familiar locations on the bar with my cursor but then again when I first started using Firefox I had to learn that layout back then.

Just looked at it, not sure it can be done. Like me ya just have to get used to the new layout. I keep automatically going to the familiar locations on the bar with my cursor but then again when I first started using Firefox I had to learn that layout back then.

%^*(#@$#$@!!! I liked it the old way.

And Windows Update moved me to Intertrash Exploder 9 last night, and that has the home and favorites buttons on the right, too.

Who decided they wanted them there?

I hope Opera doesn't move anything if they upgrade.

And Windows Update moved me to Intertrash Exploder 9 last night, and that has the home and favorites buttons on the right, too.

I think it was because of the popularity of Chrome. Remember New Coke.............. stupid move competition with Pepsi. :evil:

With IE 9 just uninstall it. Look out for the optional upgrades which is why I don't have mine on automatic, it tells me updates and downloads are available and I choose which ones to install.

Last edited:

That is why I use Firefox, I can customize it to look the way I want it to. I made the new Firefox button transparent, moved it to the tabbar, put the tabs in the titlebar, and moved the status bar up next to my search bar.

attachment.php

Attachments

• $firefoxgui.jpg
    $firefoxgui.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 124

That is why I use Firefox, I can customize it to look the way I want it to. I made the new Firefox button transparent, moved it to the tabbar, put the tabs in the titlebar, and moved the status bar up next to my search bar.

attachment.php

Ya know that's really cool but it would be much cooler if you tell the rest of us how to do it.

attachment.php

Ya know that's really cool but it would be much cooler if you tell the rest of us how to do it.

I used the Firefox UI Fixer addon and a lot of CSS.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-4-ui-fixer/

Code:
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

/* Tab bar left and right padding/margin */
/* Adjust according to the size of your Firefox button and window controls */
/* The values in -moz-padding-start/end without the 0s for maximized windows and */
/* the values in margin-left/right for not mazimized windows*/

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #TabsToolbar { 
  -moz-padding-start: 32px !important;
  -moz-padding-end: 48px !important; /*7.5em for Windows XP*/
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][sizemode="normal"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #TabsToolbar {
  -moz-padding-start: 0 !important;
  -moz-padding-end: 0 !important;
  margin-left: 0px !important;
  margin-right: 102px !important; /*9.5em for Windows XP*/
}

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

/* Move the tab bar in the title bar when maximized */

#main-window[sizemode="maximized"]:not([inFullscreen]) #navigator-toolbox[tabsontop="true"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar {
  margin-top: 0px !important;
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1 !important;
}

#main-window:not([inFullscreen]) #navigator-toolbox[tabsontop="true"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar {
  margin-top: -20px !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"]:not([inFullscreen]) #titlebar-buttonbox { 
  position: relative !important;
  z-index: 1;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][sizemode="maximized"]:not([inFullscreen]) #titlebar { 
  margin-top: 8px !important;
  min-height: 29px !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][sizemode="normal"]:not([inFullscreen]) #titlebar { 
  margin-top: 0 !important;
 /*height: 36px !important;*/ /* <- Uncomment this line to gain a bit extra height for easier dragging.*/
}

/* Fix tab styling for the dark background */

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #alltabs-button[type="menu"] {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/appmenu-dropmarker.png") !important;
  -moz-image-region: rect(0, 9px, 7px, 0) !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #alltabs-button[type="menu"] image {
  opacity: 1 !important;
  margin-top: 4px !important;
}

/*#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]),
#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabs-newtab-button {  
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(hsla(0,0%,80%,.6), hsla(0,0%,75%,.4) 50%, hsla(0,0%,70%,.4) 51%) !important;
  text-shadow: white 0 0 1px;
}*/

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabbrowser-tab[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]) {
  background-image: -moz-radial-gradient(40% 3px, circle cover, rgba(255,255,255,1) 2%, rgba(186,221,251,.75) 25%, rgba(127,179,255,.5) 50%, rgba(127,179,255,.25)) !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabbrowser-tab[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]):hover {
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(hsla(0,0%,100%,.4), hsla(0,0%,75%,.4) 50%),
                    -moz-radial-gradient(40% 3px, circle cover, rgba(255,255,255,1) 2%, rgba(186,221,251,.75) 25%, rgba(127,179,255,.5) 50%, rgba(127,179,255,.25)) !important;
}  

/*Firefox menu button pozition*/

#main-window[sizemode="normal"]:not([inFullscreen]) #appmenu-button-container
{    position: fixed !important;
    top: 0px !important;
    left: 10px !important;   }

#main-window[sizemode="maximized"]:not([inFullscreen]) #appmenu-button-container
    top: 5px !important;

Code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#nav-bar {margin-top: -2px !important;}

#appmenu-button {background: transparent !important;}

.tabbrowser-tab[selected]:not([pinned])[fadein] {min-width: 200px !important;}

I also use a Persona to change the appearance of Firefox itself.

attachment.php

I used the Firefox UI Fixer addon and a lot of CSS.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-4-ui-fixer/

Code:

/* Tab bar left and right padding/margin */
/* Adjust according to the size of your Firefox button and window controls */
/* The values in -moz-padding-start/end without the 0s for maximized windows and */
/* the values in margin-left/right for not mazimized windows*/

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #TabsToolbar { 
  -moz-padding-start: 32px !important;
  -moz-padding-end: 48px !important; /*7.5em for Windows XP*/
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][sizemode="normal"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #TabsToolbar {
  -moz-padding-start: 0 !important;
  -moz-padding-end: 0 !important;
  margin-left: 0px !important;
  margin-right: 102px !important; /*9.5em for Windows XP*/
}

/* Move the tab bar in the title bar when maximized */

#main-window[sizemode="maximized"]:not([inFullscreen]) #navigator-toolbox[tabsontop="true"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar {
  margin-top: 0px !important;
}

#main-window:not([inFullscreen]) #navigator-toolbox[tabsontop="true"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar {
  margin-top: -20px !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"]:not([inFullscreen]) #titlebar-buttonbox { 
  position: relative !important;
  z-index: 1;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][sizemode="maximized"]:not([inFullscreen]) #titlebar { 
  margin-top: 8px !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][sizemode="normal"]:not([inFullscreen]) #titlebar { 
  margin-top: 0 !important;
 /*height: 36px !important;*/ /* <- Uncomment this line to gain a bit extra height for easier dragging.*/
}

/* Fix tab styling for the dark background */

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #alltabs-button[type="menu"] {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/appmenu-dropmarker.png") !important;
  -moz-image-region: rect(0, 9px, 7px, 0) !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) #alltabs-button[type="menu"] image {
  opacity: 1 !important;
  margin-top: 4px !important;
}

/*#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]),
#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabs-newtab-button {  
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(hsla(0,0%,80%,.6), hsla(0,0%,75%,.4) 50%, hsla(0,0%,70%,.4) 51%) !important;
  text-shadow: white 0 0 1px;
}*/

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabbrowser-tab[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]) {
  background-image: -moz-radial-gradient(40% 3px, circle cover, rgba(255,255,255,1) 2%, rgba(186,221,251,.75) 25%, rgba(127,179,255,.5) 50%, rgba(127,179,255,.25)) !important;
}

#main-window[tabsontop="true"][chromemargin]:not([inFullscreen]) .tabbrowser-tab[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]):hover {
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(hsla(0,0%,100%,.4), hsla(0,0%,75%,.4) 50%),
                    -moz-radial-gradient(40% 3px, circle cover, rgba(255,255,255,1) 2%, rgba(186,221,251,.75) 25%, rgba(127,179,255,.5) 50%, rgba(127,179,255,.25)) !important;
}  

/*Firefox menu button pozition*/

#main-window[sizemode="normal"]:not([inFullscreen]) #appmenu-button-container
    top: 0px !important;

#main-window[sizemode="maximized"]:not([inFullscreen]) #appmenu-button-container
    top: 5px !important;

Code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#nav-bar {margin-top: -2px !important;}

#appmenu-button {background: transparent !important;}

.tabbrowser-tab[selected]:not([pinned])[fadein] {min-width: 200px !important;}

I also use a Persona to change the appearance of Firefox itself.

Oh well, I was hoping it was something much less techie. The more I use it the less I like it, think I'll go back to an earlier version. I don't know. Maybe give it a week or two to see if I can adjust to it.

Testing out a couple of other browsers. Right now I'm using Seamonkey which is based on Mozilla and has much of the same look as the 3.06 version with some of the same ad ons available.
I'm also looking at Maxthon 3 and WebSpirit Browser.

Did a shitload of research last night and it looks like there's a 50/50 split on Firefox 4.01. Half the people either like or will tolerate the change the other half seem to positively hate it and will not upgrade or simply change browsers altogether. My experience throughout the night indicated a definite reduction in speed as well as having to click through 2 or three menu options to get what one used to do with the 3.6 version.

Just upgraded ....My puter never worked slower... The mouse was the most annoying "new" feature.. it barely worked at all.

The previous version worked fine ... had to remove the whole thing from my laptop. Now I have no spell check ...I don't want to hear about spelling...I only put that asswipe system in so I could have a spellcheck ...can't get the old FireFox back...

My recommendation is DO NOT upgrade to FireFox 4.0.

Wow, a post from you that's actually helpful. I may die of shock. Thank you for the advice, I definitely won't upgrade.
I'm using it right now, other than familiarizing myself with the new layout I'm having no issues at all.

And that is what I was having issues with. The layout.
The download went smoothly but I absolutely hated that my Favorites list was gone. Yes, I imported them but the left-side bar I've become used to using was gone. I played around with Firefox for about an hour or so and then unistalled it from my computer. What I needed to do was download it when I had more time to play around and figure out the layout. To see if it would work for me. I may try it again.

Wow, a post from you that's actually helpful. I may die of shock. Thank you for the advice, I definitely won't upgrade.
I'm using it right now, other than familiarizing myself with the new layout I'm having no issues at all.

The download went smoothly but I absolutely hated that my Favorites list was gone. Yes, I imported them but the left-side bar I've become used to using was gone. I played around with Firefox for about an hour or so and then unistalled it from my computer. What I needed to do was download it when I had more time to play around and figure out the layout. To see if it would work for me. I may try it again.

The control for the sidebar is available from the View>Sidebar>Bookmarks.

Even better (I hate the sidebar) - right click on the navigation bar, not the window, the bar, select "menu bar" and the menu drop downs will suddenly appear in their familiar place with 'bookmarks" right where it belongs. Or you can right click the bar, select "customize", drag and drop the Bookmarks icon onto the bar.
Just discovered that once you put the icons on the bar they disappear when you close customize. Easy fix, right click on the menu/navigation bar and select the "Bookmarks" tool bar and walla! there they are!

Even better (I hate the sidebar) - right click on the navigation bar, not the window, the bar, select "menu bar" and the menu drop downs will suddenly appear in their familiar place with 'bookmarks" right where it belongs. Or you can right click the bar, select "customize", drag and drop the Bookmarks icon onto the bar.
Just discovered that once you put the icons on the bar they disappear when you close customize. Easy fix, right click on the menu/navigation bar and select the "Bookmarks" tool bar and walla! there they are!

That is where mine are. But masquerade apparently likes the sidebar.

By the way, you can access the Menu bar by pressing the Alt key.

That is where mine are. But masquerade apparently likes the sidebar.

By the way, you can access the Menu bar by pressing the Alt key.

I like it right where I can see it and not have to remember any shortcut keys which I have never used anyway.

:confused:

I like FF4. For me it's faster and sexier than 3, and I haven't had any problems except for flash crashing a few times but that happened in 3 also. But the only add-on I use is adblock plus, so maybe that's why I'm not having the issues?

I like FF4. For me it's faster and sexier than 3, and I haven't had any problems except for flash crashing a few times but that happened in 3 also. But the only add-on I use is adblock plus, so maybe that's why I'm not having the issues?

The problem is a lot of people hate the new sleek "Chrome" look that FF4 has plus a lot of the angst has to do with what people are used to and 4.0 is a radical departure from what they consider the norm.
The more I play with it the more I find I can customize it closer to what it used to look like, not exactly but closer. It's just going to take some getting used to though I'm still considering making Maxthon 3, Seamonkey or Opera my default browser.

The problem is a lot of people hate the new sleek "Chrome" look that FF4 has plus a lot of the angst has to do with what people are used to and 4.0 is a radical departure from what they consider the norm.
The more I play with it the more I find I can customize it closer to what it used to look like, not exactly but closer. It's just going to take some getting used to though I'm still considering making Maxthon 3, Seamonkey or Opera my default browser.

That would make sense. I was using Chrome exclusively during pretty much all winter, so the transition back to FF4 out of curiosity was I think more intuitive and smooth than if I had been using FF3 during that time. I kind of suspect that some of the UI changes in FF were a response to Chrome's growing popularity.

But anyways, you guys should just be thankful we even have the internet FFS! Back in my day we had to send emails through a tin cup with string.

That would make sense. I was using Chrome exclusively during pretty much all winter, so the transition back to FF4 out of curiosity was I think more intuitive and smooth than if I had been using FF3 during that time. I kind of suspect that some of the UI changes in FF were a response to Chrome's growing popularity.

But anyways, you guys should just be thankful we even have the internet FFS! Back in my day we had to send emails through a tin cup with string.

Yeah, when I was a lad computers were huge contraptions that filled a small warehouse and had less computing power than a modern digital wristwatch.
And yes, you are correct about FFs response to Chromes growing popularity. The browser wars continue!

Forum List

Back