Firefighters Watch As House Burns Down

pretty stupid not to pay the $75

his insurance co will probably tell him to go shit in his hat, too.

it's been the policy for 20 years; he rolled the dice and lost.

stupid

Yes, stupid; yet, isn't that what the argument on forcing people to pay for healthcare comes down to? See my post above, and consider, fires spreads and allowing a house to burn might have other consequences. Did the homeowner store ammunition in his home? What happens when ammunition and fire mix? How about propane tanks, fuel in vehicles or other chemicals such fertilizers?

there's nothing political about this, despite the frantic efforts to make it seem so. no responsible adult looks at the people for whom he is responsible and decides that not spending $75 to assure emergency services are available to those people is too much to spend, regardless of what one thinks of the policy itself. i think it's a stupid policy, but if i lived there, i'd spend the $75, and then work to change the policy.

pretty simple concept, really. this guy's irresponsible behavior came home to roost.

YoungLefty, I understand your outrage but there's a piece missing here. Why are residents of an outlying area of the county reliant on the city next to them for fire protection? And if they choose to go that-a-way, what genius thought fire protection should be optional? The county should have taxed its residents and paid the city to expand its fire department.

Gotta ask....what about ambulance and para-medic services? Are these also optional? WTF kind of world do we live in if you call 911 and the dispatcher asks for your taxpayer ID number? How did this defect in the protection services go unnoticed for twenty years?

I wonder what the firefighters would have done if there had been people trapped in that burning building? This has to have been traumatic for them too. It is not their fault, they could not control what happened, yet they are being held up as callus bastards.

just like a demonRat. won't pay for a service, wants the service, expects it for free, and expects conservatives to pay for their service. Thanks for posting basementdweller. It's typical of demonRat behavior.

You're exactly what is wrong with America. If you woulda read the fucking article, you would see he offered to pay if they would put the fire out.. But they basically said tough luck, and it wasn't until it spread to the neighbours (who has the "coverage") that they put it out.
What happened to helping people, and not worrying about cost or profit? Imagine if this had been the mayor of this town.. Gu-ran-tee they woulda put that fire out, regardless if he'd have payed the fee.

So he offered to pay only AFTER his ass was already in a sling? His bad.

This is where taking responsibility for your actions comes in.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have helped anyway, but it would have been because I WANTED to. Not because I was being forced, or guilted in to it.

Precisely. Individual responsibility.

If the whole town took the attitude of this guy, there would be no fire department at all... because there would be no funding for it.

just like a demonRat. won't pay for a service, wants the service, expects it for free, and expects conservatives to pay for their service. Thanks for posting basementdweller. It's typical of demonRat behavior.

You're exactly what is wrong with America. If you woulda read the fucking article, you would see he offered to pay if they would put the fire out.. But they basically said tough luck, and it wasn't until it spread to the neighbours (who has the "coverage") that they put it out.
What happened to helping people, and not worrying about cost or profit? Imagine if this had been the mayor of this town.. Gu-ran-tee they woulda put that fire out, regardless if he'd have payed the fee.

I did read the article. He was supposed to pay an annual fee. He did not. Hence he did not have firefighting services like the people who did pay. That's his choice. He thought he could beat the odds and lost. That's his tough luck not ours. The service was available to him for an annual fee and he opted out. That in no way is "conservatives fault" You are a moron.

I pay for the volunteer fire services in my area, since I am not in a city or town that has those services provided in the local tax base... and I am happy to do so... some don't, and that is their issue and their gamble...

Willingness to pay after the fact is ridiculous

YoungLefty, I understand your outrage but there's a piece missing here. Why are residents of an outlying area of the county reliant on the city next to them for fire protection? And if they choose to go that-a-way, what genius thought fire protection should be optional? The county should have taxed its residents and paid the city to expand its fire department.

Gotta ask....what about ambulance and para-medic services? Are these also optional? WTF kind of world do we live in if you call 911 and the dispatcher asks for your taxpayer ID number? How did this defect in the protection services go unnoticed for twenty years?

I wonder what the firefighters would have done if there had been people trapped in that burning building? This has to have been traumatic for them too. It is not their fault, they could not control what happened, yet they are being held up as callus bastards.

If you use an amublance your insurance is charged, if you don't have any, you get a bill.

Ambulance service is provided by hospitals, not cities. At least where I come from.

pretty stupid not to pay the $75

his insurance co will probably tell him to go shit in his hat, too.

it's been the policy for 20 years; he rolled the dice and lost.

stupid

Yes, stupid; yet, isn't that what the argument on forcing people to pay for healthcare comes down to? See my post above, and consider, fires spreads and allowing a house to burn might have other consequences. Did the homeowner store ammunition in his home? What happens when ammunition and fire mix? How about propane tanks, fuel in vehicles or other chemicals such fertilizers?

there's nothing political about this, despite the frantic efforts to make it seem so. no responsible adult looks at the people for whom he is responsible and decides that not spending $75 to assure emergency services are available to those people is too much to spend, regardless of what one thinks of the policy itself. i think it's a stupid policy, but if i lived there, i'd spend the $75, and then work to change the policy.

pretty simple concept, really. this guy's irresponsible behavior came home to roost.

It is moronic to make fire protection an option. I pay, you don't...what happens to my costs? If I am the only one in the whole county who wants fire protection do I have to underwrite those costs all by myself? What happens to my house if yours is next door and burns? What happens to my property values if you walk away from a burned out shell?

This is stupidity in government, del. There's nothing "libertarian" about it. Fire and ambulance protection are the bedrock of local government services. I bet many residents of the county's outlying area didn't even realize they had no protection. Not everyone understands what they read via mail from the government. And where the hell were the insurance companies? Why wasn't a policy of insurance conditioned on payment of this "fee"?

Just asinine.

Glad to see you agree with the decision to let the house burn to the ground. My point is proven.

I don't agree with allowing someone's house to burn but the guy did roll the dice. I can imagine when it came time to pay he was probably thinking "Fuck them". They got to his house and said "fuck you".

For all you know, this guy just moved in, and had no idea you had to pay for fire coverage. But, I guess we should do this with the Police too, huh? "I'm being kidnapped!" "Have you payed your anual fee for police protection?" "No" "Tough luck!"
Yeah, that'd work nicely.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: that's not what the article says moron.

Kinda like if the guy is watching the roulette table... and trying to argue that he meant to play black instead of red... or that he intended to put the money on red even though he did not bet

I am glad we are not in the tax system for the nearest city.. they do pay much more in increased taxes than we do for our annual donation to the VFD

I wonder if kids or anyone else had been trapped in the house if the firefighters would have left them to burn.

If you use an amublance your insurance is charged, if you don't have any, you get a bill.

Ambulance service is provided by hospitals, not cities. At least where I come from.

Well in my case, my ambulance ride wasn't covered by insurance. I paid the entire cost of the ambulance up front.

We have both private and public ambulance services here. Taxes take care of the public ones but they still charge you 500 bucks if you call em. I will take private anyday.

It is moronic to make fire protection an option. I pay, you don't...what happens to my costs? If I am the only one in the whole county who wants fire protection do I have to underwrite those costs all by myself? What happens to my house if yours is next door and burns? What happens to my property values if you walk away from a burned out shell?

This is stupidity in government, del. There's nothing "libertarian" about it. Fire and ambulance protection are the bedrock of local government services. I bet many residents of the county's outlying area didn't even realize they had no protection. Not everyone understands what they read via mail from the government. And where the hell were the insurance companies? Why wasn't a policy of insurance conditioned on payment of this "fee"?

Just asinine.

the only thing more stupid than charging for fire protection service is not paying the charge. one doesn't have to be a nobel laureate to figure that out.

if you can't understand a simple concept like *if you don't pay, we won't come*, you probably shouldn't be at large.

The public policy should require fire services for all citizens in any event, but could stipulate if anyone opted not pay the minimal fee for public fire service, then they would be subject to x amount of charges ($ thousands) in the event public fire services are needed by them.

"I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," said Gene Cranick.

duh!

Glad to see you agree with the decision to let the house burn to the ground. My point is proven.

I don't agree with allowing someone's house to burn but the guy did roll the dice. I can imagine when it came time to pay he was probably thinking "Fuck them". They got to his house and said "fuck you".

For all you know, this guy just moved in, and had no idea you had to pay for fire coverage. But, I guess we should do this with the Police too, huh? "I'm being kidnapped!" "Have you payed your anual fee for police protection?" "No" "Tough luck!"
Yeah, that'd work nicely.

That's the sort of information that is required, by law, to be divulged prior to the sale of the property.

Forum List

Back