Firefighters Watch As House Burns Down

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
Wanna know what a conservative only world looks like? Look no further than Obion County, Tennessee:
Imagine your home catches fire but the local fire department won’t respond, then watches it burn. That’s exactly what happened to a local family tonight. A local neighborhood is furious after firefighters watched as an Obion County, Tennessee, home burned to the ground.

The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late. They wouldn’t do anything to stop his house from burning. Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay. The mayor said if homeowners don’t pay, they’re out of luck. [...]

We asked the mayor of South Fulton if the chief could have made an exception. “Anybody that’s not in the city of South Fulton, it’s a service we offer, either they accept it or they don’t,” Mayor David Crocker said.
Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

As ThinkProgress points out:
A local newspaper further pressed Mayor Crocker about the city’s policy, which has been in place since 1990. Crocker, a Republican who was elected in 2008 and serves with a county commission where every seat is also filled by a Republican, likened the policy to buying auto insurance

Just one prime example of the difference between the way conservatives govern and the way progressives govern.

As TP put it:
One, the conservative vision, believes in the on-your-own society, and informs a policy agenda that primarily serves the well off and privileged sectors of the country. The other vision, the progressive one, believes in an American Dream that works for all people, regardless of their racial, religious, or economic background.

Think Progress Tennessee County’s Subscription-Based Firefighters Watch As Family Home Burns Down

That's the choice we have this november- The conservative fend-for-yourself (besides the companies that ship jobs overseas) choice, or the liberal I-am-my-brothers-keeper choice.

Wanna know what a conservative only world looks like? Look no further than Obion County, Tennessee:
Imagine your home catches fire but the local fire department won’t respond, then watches it burn. That’s exactly what happened to a local family tonight. A local neighborhood is furious after firefighters watched as an Obion County, Tennessee, home burned to the ground.

The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late. They wouldn’t do anything to stop his house from burning. Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay. The mayor said if homeowners don’t pay, they’re out of luck. [...]

We asked the mayor of South Fulton if the chief could have made an exception. “Anybody that’s not in the city of South Fulton, it’s a service we offer, either they accept it or they don’t,” Mayor David Crocker said.
Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

A local newspaper further pressed Mayor Crocker about the city’s policy, which has been in place since 1990. Crocker, a Republican who was elected in 2008 and serves with a county commission where every seat is also filled by a Republican, likened the policy to buying auto insurance

Just one prime example of the difference between the way conservatives govern and the way progressives govern.

As TP put it:
One, the conservative vision, believes in the on-your-own society, and informs a policy agenda that primarily serves the well off and privileged sectors of the country. The other vision, the progressive one, believes in an American Dream that works for all people, regardless of their racial, religious, or economic background.

Think Progress Tennessee County’s Subscription-Based Firefighters Watch As Family Home Burns Down

That's the choice we have this november- The conservative fend-for-yourself (besides the companies that ship jobs overseas) choice, or the liberal I-am-my-brothers-keeper choice.

You will learn something when you grow up and live without parental support. You don't get what you don't pay for.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

As TP put it:

lets examine. One city expects the public to pay for sevices. Across the country we have an all dem council that expects the people to pay for thier salaries, above and beyond the norm. They now sit in jail, and now this person is homeless. Get your priorities right and avoid these issues.

just like a demonRat. won't pay for a service, wants the service, expects it for free, and expects conservatives to pay for their service. Thanks for posting basementdweller. It's typical of demonRat behavior.

You're exactly what is wrong with America. If you woulda read the fucking article, you would see he offered to pay if they would put the fire out.. But they basically said tough luck, and it wasn't until it spread to the neighbours (who has the "coverage") that they put it out.
What happened to helping people, and not worrying about cost or profit? Imagine if this had been the mayor of this town.. Gu-ran-tee they woulda put that fire out, regardless if he'd have payed the fee.

As TP put it:

You will learn something when you grow up and live without parental support. You don't get what you don't pay for.

So you agree with the decision to let the guys house burn down? I'd imagine you would be singing a different tune if it was YOUR home.

just like a demonRat. won't pay for a service, wants the service, expects it for free, and expects conservatives to pay for their service. Thanks for posting basementdweller. It's typical of demonRat behavior.

You're exactly what is wrong with America. If you woulda read the fucking article, you would see he offered to pay if they would put the fire out.. But they basically said tough luck, and it wasn't until it spread to the neighbours (who has the "coverage") that they put it out.
What happened to helping people, and not worrying about cost or profit? Imagine if this had been the mayor of this town.. Gu-ran-tee they woulda put that fire out, regardless if he'd have payed the fee.

At a minute after midnight. Ive seen the light. I will pay now. :lol:

Glad to see you agree with the decision to let the house burn to the ground. My point is proven.

Who was in charge twenty years in the city/county ago when this policy went into place? Seems to me a county wide tax would have been a better way to go.

Great thread. A perfect example of conservative thought.

Consider, one doesn't pay for healthcare, yet they are ill and go to the emergency room and are turned away. Doctors watch, and do nothing; the ill actor - too cheap to pay for healthcare - coughs and spreads a highly infectious agent around the hospital, on the bus home and at the drug store where s/he buys an ineffective but expensive product to disguise the symptoms.

Glad to see you agree with the decision to let the house burn to the ground. My point is proven.

I don't agree with allowing someone's house to burn but the guy did roll the dice. I can imagine when it came time to pay he was probably thinking "Fuck them". They got to his house and said "fuck you".

• Thanks
Reactions: del

I don't agree with allowing someone's house to burn but the guy did roll the dice. I can imagine when it came time to pay he was probably thinking "Fuck them". They got to his house and said "fuck you".

For all you know, this guy just moved in, and had no idea you had to pay for fire coverage. But, I guess we should do this with the Police too, huh? "I'm being kidnapped!" "Have you payed your anual fee for police protection?" "No" "Tough luck!"
Yeah, that'd work nicely.

pretty stupid not to pay the $75

his insurance co will probably tell him to go shit in his hat, too.

it's been the policy for 20 years; he rolled the dice and lost.

stupid

Yes, stupid; yet, isn't that what the argument on forcing people to pay for healthcare comes down to? See my post above, and consider, fires spreads and allowing a house to burn might have other consequences. Did the homeowner store ammunition in his home? What happens when ammunition and fire mix? How about propane tanks, fuel in vehicles or other chemicals such fertilizers?

So he offered to pay only AFTER his ass was already in a sling? His bad.

This is where taking responsibility for your actions comes in.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have helped anyway, but it would have been because I WANTED to. Not because I was being forced, or guilted in to it.

That's an assumption, and a false one at that.

What happend to responsibility?

Of course he said he would pay anything. He didn't have the money on him, so why would anyone expect him to pay after?

YOU are whats wrong. You want those firemen to risk thier lives just out of a sense of duty, but don't expect everyone else to have a sense of duty.

As TP put it:

So you agree with the decision to let the guys house burn down? I'd imagine you would be singing a different tune if it was YOUR home.

I'd have paid to ensure that, should I need the service, it would be available to me. What I wouldn't do would be to expect you to pay for it on my behalf. I know this is hard, Lefty, but you don't get something for nothing - somebody, somewhere pays.

pretty stupid not to pay the $75

his insurance co will probably tell him to go shit in his hat, too.

it's been the policy for 20 years; he rolled the dice and lost.

stupid

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

While I by no means agree with the decision to let the house burn, $75.00 a year seems a small amount to pay for the service provided.

It will be interesting to see how the lawsuit plays out because you know there's one coming...

Forum List

Back