Firearms Question:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I've owned an M-1 Garand since my eighteenth birthday (1954) and the M-1 was my standard weapon for four years in the Marine Corps, so I am completely familiar with that rifle.

I have never seen an M-14 and I know absolutely nothing about them except that they load with a 20 round box magazine rather than the M-1's 8-round en bloc clip, which is why I would much prefer the M-1 as a combat weapon. The reason being a practiced shooter with an M-1 is capable of indefinite continuous fire until he runs out of clips -- and he can do this with less than a two second pause to load a new clip after eight shots. But what does the M-14 shooter do after his last box magazine is empty?

Someone in another forum recently argued that the M-14 also accepts the 8-round clip inserted in the same manner as the M-1. But being thoroughly familiar with the M-1's receiver mechanism, unless for some ingeniously clever design that I'm incapable of imagining, I can't think of how that would be possible.

Am I right or am I wrong? Can the M-14 be loaded with either the 20-round box or the 8-round en bloc clip? If so, would the 8-round clip be loaded from the top, as with the M-1, or from the bottom?

I've owned an M-1 Garand since my eighteenth birthday (1954) and the M-1 was my standard weapon for four years in the Marine Corps, so I am completely familiar with that rifle.

I have never seen an M-14 and I know absolutely nothing about them except that they load with a 20 round box magazine rather than the M-1's 8-round en bloc clip, which is why I would much prefer the M-1 as a combat weapon. The reason being a practiced shooter with an M-1 is capable of indefinite continuous fire until he runs out of clips -- and he can do this with less than a two second pause to load a new clip after eight shots. But what does the M-14 shooter do after his last box magazine is empty?

Someone in another forum recently argued that the M-14 also accepts the 8-round clip inserted in the same manner as the M-1. But being thoroughly familiar with the M-1's receiver mechanism, unless for some ingeniously clever design that I'm incapable of imagining, I can't think of how that would be possible.

Am I right or am I wrong? Can the M-14 be loaded with either the 20-round box or the 8-round en bloc clip? If so, would the 8-round clip be loaded from the top, as with the M-1, or from the bottom?

I don't believe the Government ever released the M-14 into civilian hands and Clinton made a valiant effort to have them all destroyed while he was President.

The civilian version of the M-14 is the M1A as made by Springfield Armory (not the government arsenal but the company) as well as Fed Ord and a couple of others. No, an 8round en bloc clip will not function in an M1A nor will it work in M-14, whoever told you that is unfamiliar with both weapons it seems.

The M1A does have a stripper clip guide built into the reciever however so when you run your last magazine dry you would leave it in place and strip rounds in from the ammo can.

The civilian version of the M-14 is the M1A as made by Springfield Armory (not the government arsenal but the company) as well as Fed Ord and a couple of others. No, an 8round en bloc clip will not function in an M1A nor will it work in M-14, whoever told you that is unfamiliar with both weapons it seems.

The M1A does have a stripper clip guide built into the reciever however so when you run your last magazine dry you would leave it in place and strip rounds in from the ammo can.
Thank you. That answers my question. I also wasn't aware that there were stripper clips available if the loaded magazines ran out, which would be my main concern about the M-14. That would be better than nothing.

I don't believe the Government ever released the M-14 into civilian hands and Clinton made a valiant effort to have them all destroyed while he was President.
That's okay with me. I wouldn't want one, anyway. I was just curious to know what that other fellow was talking about.

It just didn't seem right to me. But I just found out (from Westwall) that he probably was talking about the stripper clips, so there was a misunderstanding.

Well, it doesn't go *PING* to let the other person know you have to reload.
Being able to reload in two seconds I could live with the ping.
Someone told me guys would drop one on the ground to trick the enemy and shoot them when they popped up thinking you had to reload

How likely do you think it would be to hear a brass casing hitting the ground from 50 meters away....with a lot of shooting going on?

Someone told me guys would drop one on the ground to trick the enemy and shoot them when they popped up thinking you had to reload

How likely do you think it would be to hear a brass casing hitting the ground from 50 meters away....with a lot of shooting going on?
Also, the ping made by the empty spring steel clip ejecting is very distinctive and cannot be imitated by dropping a brass round, regardless of where and how. It is a very unmistakable sound.

Well, it doesn't go *PING* to let the other person know you have to reload.

The ping is very noticeable and have heard stories of the chinese in Korea charging after a volley of fire from the Americans

Have also heard stories of a US soldier popping off two rounds then throwing a embloc on the ground so he could draw out the enemy.

I personally own both rifles and consider them to be one of the best designs ever invented. I personally would grab the m14 type rifle in a pinch though. It has numerous improvements some of which being able to be fed with a mag or stripper clips, scope mount hole on the side, a short stroke piston to allow use of heavier bullets, various flash hiders, less small internal parts, easier cleaning, more abundant ammo, and a little lighter in weight.

The M1 is prone to weak clip release springs that wear over time and will try to eject the embloc after the 3 round or so. They are also more finicky over their timing sequence with the loading and ejecting the cases and embloc causing more feeding/ejecting issues. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't feel under gunned with a M1 but I'll grab my 14 before the M1 if it came down to it.

Oh, and I can reload my 14 about as fast as an M1.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back