Firearms question

What do you all think is a good assult rife if I was to purchase one?

Last edited:
HK's are bombproof, FN's are really pleasant to shoot, AR's are OK but if you go that route get one of the DS Arms rifles with the gas piston system instead of the older gas tube setup. Handle them all, find the one you like the best and buy the best example of that rifle you can afford.

It all depends on whether you like AK or AR style long arms. AKs generally use the 7.62x39 round and the ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful. The rifles are usually much less expensive and their are numerous add on and replacement items available.
ARs are usually much more expensive and come chambered in 22lr and up though the most common is .223. They also have multiple configuration add ons.
Then there are the Cetmes, German variants.

The choice is yours.

First, consider which one you like best. What's most comfortable for your hands.

Second, consider how you dress. The idea behind "concealed" is self-explanatory. If you wear shorts and t-shirts ... I'd go with a Walther PPK/S.

I carry a modified Springfield Armory M1911-A1. If I so much as nick you, you're going down. I modified the gun myself in the 1980's, and I can knock the balls off a gnat at 50 yards.

Point is, you have to balance firepower/gun frame vs how you dress.

Of the two handguns you mention, the Glock has the better reputation while the S&W has the more appealing price tag. For concealed carry, and it's applicability self-defense-wise, I would say one is no better than the other.

What did you modify on your firearm Gunny?

I added a beavertail grip safety, full length recoil guide rod, adjustable trigger, extended safety and slide release tabs, installed Bo-Mar, low profile combat sights, and I completely disassembled the weapon and used jeweler's rouge to finish every internal part of the weapon.

I also added Pachmyr wraparound grips and have six McCormick, match grade magazines.

After spending all that time and money on modifying your gun, how many times have you used it?

What did you modify on your firearm Gunny?

I added a beavertail grip safety, full length recoil guide rod, adjustable trigger, extended safety and slide release tabs, installed Bo-Mar, low profile combat sights, and I completely disassembled the weapon and used jeweler's rouge to finish every internal part of the weapon.

I also added Pachmyr wraparound grips and have six McCormick, match grade magazines.

After spending all that time and money on modifying your gun, how many times have you used it?

Stand down range and count. :eusa_whistle:

It all depends on whether you like AK or AR style long arms. AKs generally use the 7.62x39 round and the ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful. The rifles are usually much less expensive and their are numerous add on and replacement items available.
ARs are usually much more expensive and come chambered in 22lr and up though the most common is .223. They also have multiple configuration add ons.
Then there are the Cetmes, German variants.

The choice is yours.

Honestly, I probably won't get one. I was looking at some at the gun store.

I have a shotgun for home defense and as you know I have my Glock 19 for carrying.

What would I do with it?

I appreciate that you responded to my question.

AK-47 Variant (AKM)
ak47.jpg

AR-15
ar15Tapco.jpg

FN-FAL Variant
fn_fal.jpg

HK G3 Variant
6gl6hs7.jpg

FN F2000
fn_f2000_5.jpg

Which one you pick is a matter of taste and price. The FAL and G3 are the best at distance (largest round), the AR is lightest and moddable, the FAL and AK are most reliable, and the AK is cheapest.

The F2000 looks super-cool.

P.S. Generally speaking, these won't be needed save in a collapse-of-the-government scenario, which is unlikely. But as the AK-47 can be found for as little as $400, there is no reason not to own one! :D

Last edited:
AK-47 Variant (AKM)
ak47.jpg

AR-15
ar15Tapco.jpg

FN-FAL Variant
fn_fal.jpg

HK G3 Variant
6gl6hs7.jpg

FN F2000
fn_f2000_5.jpg

Which one you pick is a matter of taste and price. The FAL and G3 are the best at distance (largest round), the AR is lightest and moddable, the FAL and AK are most reliable, and the AK is cheapest.

The F2000 looks super-cool.

P.S. Generally speaking, these won't be needed save in a collapse-of-the-government scenario, which is unlikely. But as the AK-47 can be found for as little as $400, there is no reason not to own one! :D

I'll argue reliability with you. The HK's are the only rifles to pass every Saudi test and that is the reason why they decided to equip their armed forces with them. I used to have a HK21 and I broke a quarter of the bolt face off while doing a long string of shhoting. The weapon hiccuped once, I cleared the jam and it continued to fire anothe 1200 rounds before I stopped to give it a rest. By that time the bolt had over 80,000 rounds on it (which is why it broke) and obviously I retired the bolt head and got a new one. But I have never had a single problem with an HK. Had trouble with everything else, including AK's, I have a Maadi and it is real nice but I'll stick with an HK for any purpose.

I am a bit confused.

I did some research and found this chart.

Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

I have a Glock 19, 9 mm.

According to the chart the 9x19 has more % One Stop Shot than almost all the .45s and .40s mentioned.

How is that possible?

Obviously, the bullet type varies a bit.

Fuck all the bullshit...if you got the coin...pony up for a .308 Sig Arms 550 like I got....or if you like 5.56 get a Sig 556...got one of those too...great shooter...a tack driver at 500 yds. If you prefer AK actions then Valmet make some really nice variants. Of course...can't leave out the FN FNC. The rifle is the most easily converted to full auto once the proper ATF procedures and federal laws are followed.

I started this thread by asking what handgun for my Concealed Pistol's License.

I went with a Glock 19.

As I was reading the articles about the Israeli commandos and the turkeys, I saw that the Israeli commandos had Glock 9 mms too.

From one of the articles.

FOXNews.com - Israeli Commando Who Shot Six Activists in Aid Convoy in Line for Medal

As he landed on the ship's top deck, he said he saw three of his superior officers who had landed ahead of him lying wounded, one with a bullet wound to the stomach, another shot in the knee and the third beaten unconscious.

Taking charge, he formed his men in a perimeter around the wounded, pulled his 9mm Glock pistol and opened fire on passengers he accused of shooting at the boarding party with guns taken off the first soldiers, who had been overwhelmed as they landed one by one.

bushmasters, buddy. quality, man, and nice designs. cheap and ready .223s so that you can have fun at the range.

Bushmaster isn't what many would call "quality". They're not bad, but for the price you can build your own, or if you're lazy, buy a S&W M&P15.

And assault rifle isn't the proper term. They lack the select fire capability. The proper term is either SUR (Sport utility Rifle) or EBR (Evil Black Rifle).

bushmasters, buddy. quality, man, and nice designs. cheap and ready .223s so that you can have fun at the range.

Bushmaster isn't what many would call "quality". They're not bad, but for the price you can build your own, or if you're lazy, buy a S&W M&P15.

And assault rifle isn't the proper term. They lack the select fire capability. The proper term is either SUR (Sport utility Rifle) or EBR (Evil Black Rifle).

Thank you...you get what you pay for...look at the MTBF numbers as well. SigArms can't be beat.

many who might build their own firearms are more into building guns than many who merely care to use them:doubt:.

i've owned two bushmasters, now one, and can vouch for their quality. the mp15 is similar enough to my carbon 15 to make it a matter of brand preference. i think the smith is cheaper, but the bushmaster is lighter. the US military and remington have chosen the bushmaster brand for their quality specifically in this class. i couldn't argue.

all the same, this is the bracket of compact assault rifles which i would suggest, CMike. the biggest factor is why you want it. you dont want to leave kel-tec and american made ak47 derivatives out of the running, either. just remember that while 7.62s are fun to shoot at the range, they are more expensive to shoot, too. the kel-tec is the most practical weapon to use indoors, like in the confines of your house, while still delivering 223s. (compact size over aim (you have 30 rounds)) i have bagged rabbits with my carb15, then popped the stalk off and put it in a backpack. rabbits let you get close, then stop to watch you, so i'm not saying i know much about hunting. i'm more the fishing type. i did eat good and had a great time with a lil rifle-ish semi like the bushmaster, tho.

Yes sir ,the FN 57 is hard to hide. But it delivers 21 rounds per clip with no recoil , I got away with it for some time at work ,things changed and had to go with a smaller frame.

I have a bursa 17+ and love the way it works and wanted to go with the bursa 13 shot but it was to thick.
So the slim is a good choice for me, having had the pf9, P38T years ago and not been satisfied with the action.

you will go through phases as you figure out what works and those things may change.
I can aim, and hit the target with just about anything I pick up now just because of the time behind the wheel
back in the day I couldn't hit anything with anything its all about practice and having your head in a good place.
Wearing a gun is rarely comfortable, but it may give you comfort

FNs got a lot of good & bad press. Composite materials, steel where it counts.
20 or 30 round mags; not bad. Ammo not as cheap as 9mm though. I would like to
test this one on the range.

Unfortunately this is the firearm used by Nadal Hassan the Ft. Hood jihadist shooter
and there is another flurry of activity around this brand........because the Mexican drug
cartels use this weapon. Notorious for penetrating multiple kevlar vests. And we know
how bad THAT scene is along our southern border.

I am a bit confused.

I did some research and found this chart.

Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

I have a Glock 19, 9 mm.

According to the chart the 9x19 has more % One Stop Shot than almost all the .45s and .40s mentioned.

How is that possible?

Obviously, the bullet type varies a bit.
The 9mm rounds listed in the chart are JHP +P, meaning high-power hollow-point (read:expanding) rounds, while the .45 acp are standard-load rounds. Note that the standard .45 acp JHP functioned statistically identical to the 9mm JHP +P rounds.

In other words, they were comparing the most-expensive 9mm rounds money can buy to run-of-the-mill .45 acp rounds.

---

This is why these caliber discussions are rather obsolete. With the introduction of "glaser" ammunition, a tiny .38 glaser can do as much (if not more) tissue damage as a .45 FMJ.

220px-Glaser_Safety_slug.png

Yes, the glaser round is filled with birdshot that is released upon impact. Each glaser round is like firing a small-bore shotgun into your target at point-blank range.

Why would the stats for the hollow points for a 9 mm and a .45 be the same?

hollow points expand, exerting stopping power. conventional rounds don't expand, exerting penetrating power.

Forum List

Back